Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Skaven in aos

Skaven in aos

Just wondering what kind of army's people are going to run with skaven.

I've made a 125 wound list and have jezzails, cannon, screaming bell, clan rats,plague monks, storm vermin and a few characters.

What's everyone else planning on using?

"I am the power of death incarnate. I am the swords edge; I hungrily cut the flesh and drink deep of the bloody well beneath. Give me your body, and I promise you glory, I promise you vengeance and I promise you immortality - if you will only let me..."

-Antwyr, the sword god

Re: Skaven in aos

I Plan on dropping a big spearman blob down first,

depending on what my opponnent does next: Second Sword/shield blob, or weapon teams/characters screened behind the blob.
    Blob sizes i guess will depend on how long of a game we plan on playing - But I have my verminlord as a just in case.

Rat Ogres may come out as well... I really have no idea.

Preplanning for this game is hard...
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Chaplain

If you are pre planning I think a verminus clawpack battalion offers some great bonuses - the ability to give multiple units an extra attack with the warlord and still use another command ability from a different character. Also most of what you have listed would fit into the clawpack.

If you are deploying unit by unit and freely, then kicking off with a small unit or two like 5 giant rats will give you a bit of an opportunity to see where your opponent is going and if he is going down the shooting path you can get some close combat style going on with a moulder battalion, or a bell and supporting verminus troops. If he is looking at close combat on the other hand some heavy firepower of your own would be a good response.

As Kisanis says with rules as written, preplanning is hard - it is more about knowing what are favourable match ups in your army against what your opponent has deployed.
    “We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.”

Mahatma Gandhi

I personally am thinking the spearmen blob due to the 2" reach will really let me use numbers to my advantage. I think Poison wind globadiers may be interesting in AOS as they can screen in the main unit very well and can fire into combat (The entire concept of which, suits skaven very well). Combine it with a battle standard bearer moved into the middle and he can make a very hard to move blob. I may also try this with warp grinders to deep strike my blob as needed.

I also like the gutter runners and night runners for range attacks as well.

Its basically determine what are your "im always going to need" and then determine how you would deal with:
    An opposing infantry blob
    Enemy characters
    Enemy monsters
    enemy warmachines
    enemy summoners/wizards

and hope you brought enough of the right ones to the fray to be deployed.
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by mhsellwood View Post
    If you are pre planning I think a verminus clawpack battalion offers some great bonuses - the ability to give multiple units an extra attack with the warlord and still use another command ability from a different character. Also most of what you have listed would fit into the clawpack.
    It does seem pretty good, but I have a hard time finding a rationale for using Clanrats/Slaves/Giant Rats etc. over Stormvermin.

Although I'm playing with house rules/total wounds limit, so I guess in a "true" game of AoS you could just put down all of your Stormvermin AND all of your Clanrats.

A unit of 30 Clanrats hits and wounds on a 3+.
    A unit of Skavenslaves deals a Mortal Wound on a 6 for every model removed from Battleshock. (Just make sure your guys are at least 1" away from the Slaves to make sure it's the enemy unit that takes the hits.)
    A unit of 30 Giant Rats has 3 attacks each hitting on 2+

There are reasons to take them.

Well,yeah, but a unit of 30 Stormvermin would "cost" the same as the 30 Clanrats/G.Rats. At 30 models they'd be outnumbering most enemies, and usually hitting on 3's as well. Always wounding on 3's, no matter how much attrition they absorb. And they have a rend value and superior save.

Slaves are junk. A 1/6 chance for a mortal wound is not effective. Get a WFT instead.

I could maybe see using small sling units as screeners, but again, why wouldn't you rather just use another small unit of SV to do the same thing?

On another note, Warlock Engineers seem real good.

They have something to contribute in every phase, their spell has great range and a low casting value, and the pumped version of it has less risk than many of the other "supercharges" in the Skaven army (since they only take 1 wound instead of D3).

Skavenslaves arent anywhere as useful now - even with slings id rather a blob of night runners/gutter runners throwing stars.

That said, by imposing a wound limitation, slaves, goblins, etc... all become useless because they are not able to go head to head one on one. I plan on avoiding points and just deploying like the rules say until some of the point systems get sorted, or GW releases their own.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

The tables have turned a bit in turns of mass infantry. Storm vermin > slaves now. I expect to see more from jezzails to

"I am the power of death incarnate. I am the swords edge; I hungrily cut the flesh and drink deep of the bloody well beneath. Give me your body, and I promise you glory, I promise you vengeance and I promise you immortality - if you will only let me..."

-Antwyr, the sword god

I'm gonna play tonight for the first time, bringing the Eshin claw pack. I never ranked up my old nightrunners, so I have three 20 rat units with different equipment. gonna field them with 10 gutter runners, three assasins, and deathmaster snitch. I'm facing 60 chaos warriors of nurgle with a few heros.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try it for most of the day. I'll bring all of the above along with 80 storm vermin and 80 plague monks for lighter games.I'll also have a good selection of Skaven stand alone models just to see how broken the game can get should someone want to bring lots of big ugly things. sadly the big skaven stuff tends to lean towards Skryre, so I'll have a doom wheel, two warp lighting cannons, eight ratling guns, four warp fire throwers, 10 jezzails and eight rat ogres. That seems like a good selection to try an "elite" skirmish force.
    God sends meat, the Devil sends cooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordJon View Post
    Orks are better than you, your armies, your friend and his armies, everyone you play against or have ever known or will ever meet, whether they have anything to do with 40k or not, your job, your school, your self esteem, your love life, your significant other(s) (past or present or future), this nations economy, and the presidential election (I'd vote for Ghazghkull).

I played against Lizards the other day.
    I ran one 40 unit blob of Sword/shield clanrats in the centre, one 40 unit of clanrats on the left, skaven warlord, grey seer, 2 engineers, in the rear with LOS where needed.

The right had jezzails and mortars; I used the night runners as screens for shooting and as skirmishers.

The fun thign I did was use a warp grinder to deep strike 30 stormvermin behind the slann mage priest. That worked well.

I may look into marauder calverly to give the army some help on the flanks in addition to the night runners.

I played a 125 wound game against Orcs. The Verminus Clawpack worked well. I had 3 minimum sized Clanrat units and a 30 Stormvermin. I used the Clanrats to screen the Stormvermin. My opponent charged the one of the units of Clanrats with 25 Orcs with two weapon and wiped them out but his pile in move put the unit within 3" of the Stormvermin. My Stormvermin got to hit him in his turn and then in my turn and they wiped out the Orcs without taking any casualties. He lost 25 Orcs for the the cost of my 10 Clanrats. I realize the next time I play him he will be more careful but it worked this time.

I did the same thing with my night runners as a screen unit up front.

Their ability to shoot and run was handy for baiting the enemy forward.

Ive also been good at removing casualties in multiple unit attacks so that the 2 unit can't attack, even with pile in moves.

Who plays with being able to shoot into combat? Or shoot while in combat?

Technically the rules say nothing about NOT being able to... That said personally I would house rule that they can't.

The concept of archers firing volleys of arrows into another combat without hitting their own side while simultaneously blocking, dodging and attack another unit in hand to hand is beyond silly.

What about shooting at the unit they are engaged in while in combat?

We played they cant shoot while engaged, but then again I think that was from conventional thinking.

Shooting into is important though,and im ok with it (assuming the ranged unit has LOS)

Yeah, not to derail the conversation from Skaven, but shooting into combat is more important in AoS than it was in fantasy. In fantasy units would break and flee and all so most units would be in and out of combat, meaning you could shoot at them again. In AoS they are often stuck in combat for a while slowly grinding each other down. I know it's silly as far as fluff goes but it does make archers a LOT less useful in AoS if they can't shoot into combat. You could explain it as they are just shooting over the combat into the back ranks or something.

-Tidings

We have not house ruled anything about shooting. You can shoot while in combat, into combat whatever. It does not make shooting more powerful than any other part of the game.

Brother Sergeant

Plague Monks are filth. Two daggers each means they get 6 attacks on the charge, throw in the Vermin lord Corrupter and Skaven Warlord for an extra 2 attacks per weapon and they get 10 attacks each on the charge. If you decide to be "that guy" the glottkins bonus puts them up to 12 attacks each on the charge.

Veteran Sergeant

Played against Skaven just this past Saturday....... gave me such a tense game as they were W T F all over my Empire. Don't know if this is a theme of them, in my game they had a very strong hero phase and shooting phase. Yes, plague monks made me drop my jaw when he ran in with a unit and piled in then counted and said he had 72 hits to roll for. Big WTF They have **** saves on the other hand, that was pleasing hehe.

Was a tense game, my opponent actually enjoyed playing with them whereas in 8th he found them counter productive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast