Thread: Please help! RULES querey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Please help! RULES querey

I posted this in the introduction forum, but I have no clue where that has gone and I dont think anyone will read it so im VERY sorry for the re-post!! :? But I really need help to clarify this!

Hi, I have been playing a lot of Warhammer Fantasy 8th edition recently, specifically against one of my friends who plays Skaven. I personally play dark elves and we are relatively well matched, however I have a huge gripe with one unit which I do not believe we are using it correctly. The unit in question is the Skaven Warp Lightning Cannon. My opponent fields two everygame and they seem to wipe out about 400-500 point per turn, considering they only cost 90 points this feels very unbalanced.

Here are the rules we play them by:

My opponent rolls an artillery dice to determine the strength (between 2-10) no problems there

My opponent then chooses a place within 60" of the cannon to fire at, again no problems there

Then my opponent rolls a artillery dice to see how far it goes and how far it bounces. As we have been playing it; we use a small blast template that travels from the hit to the bounce hitting everything in its way at a random strength (between 2-10) that has no armor saves and causes D6 wounds.

This is where my problem lies, the way we play my opponent can hit through a large unit of spearmen potentially hitting 20-25 then passing through hitting another monster or chariot dealing D6 wounds.

Attachment 217460

Can someone help me with this, are we playing the rules right? I mean potentially this cannon can can hit at strength 10 with no armour saves causing D6 wounds + shooting through potentially a whole block of men. Please help!

Re: Please help! RULES querey

That is not how you use the WLC,

First pick a point on the table and roll the artillery dice, this is how far it goes off course. If you roll a misfire consult the chart.

Then roll the artillery dice to see how far it bounces and the strength of the shot. If you roll a misfire nothing happens and the shot is lost.

Then the small template is placed only after it lands at its final destination. Think of it as a ball that bounced and then once done it explodes.

It then works like a cannon, hitting one model per rank and any model under the small blast after it "explodes". These models take a strength X hit (where X is your roll) and cannot take armour saves.

Remember that unsaved wounds are multiplied to D6, however a 1 wound model cannot take more than 1 wound and so wounds won't spill over to the rest of the unit. That is usually only meant for multiple wound models (like Ogres).
    Last edited by 3eland; 20-07-2015 at 21:19.
    I'm like Superman, but without the super.

Thanks for the reply that has really cleared things up, I mean the way we were playing then was very broken. Thanks again for the help!

Yeah, that's not at all how you're supposed to use it and would be very overpowered. You're supposed to only place the template once for the explosion and not sweep through units.