Thread: Starting Tau?

Wink Starting Tau?

Hi all, Epic has recently had a resurge in my area and Im keen to see what the fuss is about. Im very interested in starting a Tau army heavy in battle suits and tanks.

I know very little about the game but I was wondering...

1. Where's a good place to start with Tau?

2. How do Tau function in Epic? Is it similar to 40k, firing lines and hit and runs?

3. I found a very well priced site called Onslaught miniatures that makes terrific looking and well priced knock offs of Tau epic models but not aerial craft. Is aerial combat crucial in epic? More importantly do Tau suffer badly without it?

Any advice would be fantastic. Thank you in advance.
    "Whom the Gods notice they destroy...be small and you will escape the jealousy of the great" The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

Chapter Master

Re: Starting Tau?

What part of Australia are you in?

I haven't had much Tau experience, but from what I can tell:

Markerlights are a must. That means scouting units and Skyrays.

Skyrays are also a must for their damn huge AA bubble.

Tau like to shoot- not be engaged in Assaults. Not even firefights. Many Tau things shoot best at short range though- like Crisis suits- so it's important to have screening units or gang up on the one flank. Holding back a while so your longer range weaponry can do its work is also useful. Suits do 'hit and run' a bit with the Tau jetpack move, but you've got to be pretty good with your set up to get the most out of that.

Tau aircraft are important because their the Tau's main source of Titan Killer weapons- which is very nasty. You can't do much to suppress planes, and any fighters sent to counter the Tau flyers will inevitably hit that damn Skyray bubble.

I think Tau just received an update- I'm not sure how that'll change things for them.

I recommend looking at the Tactical Command forum for a more active Epic community.
    Orcs and Goblins, Wood Elves, Necrons, Tyranids
    W / D / L
    1 / 2 / 139847
    Everyone else's win totals are completely accurate.

I live in New South Wales north of Sydney on the Central Coast.

Thanks that all extremely helpful information. I'll check it out.
    "Whom the Gods notice they destroy...be small and you will escape the jealousy of the great" The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

Chapter Master

I haven't played with Tau much, but have played against them.

1. Crisis suits are a good starting point .

2. Tau are a fire force. Meaning that they are not that good in assaults, but they can do much damage with Markerlights and Co-ordinated Fire. However you need to learn to use crossfire as well as that allows dropping save from most opponents.

3 .The airpower is useful. I'd say that Barracudas are needed as Skyray is expensive. Tigersharks allow dropping Gun Drones which is a nice tactical choice. Similar to Orca. However you can do a ground force as well. But I would suggest trying to get some aircraft to stand in for Barracudas.

I have couple of videos of Tau fighting against me, so perhaps check one out for tactical advice and tricks. However in epic you should play a style of play you are comfortable with, so explicit army advice is always a bit tricky.