Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 9th Age Tactics

9th Age Tactics

I have spent this weekend reading the 9th Age rules from start to finish and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. I haven't played a game with them yet, but I am certain they are going to be a brilliant evolution of 8th ed Warhammer.

Seriously, if:
    - you love Warhmmer;
    - have some armies you haven't played with in a while; and
    - you haven't already been here to download the rules and army books, you should absolutely do so now. Seriously, don't wait... clicky clicky.

Right, now we're all on the same page, I thought this might be a good place to begin the revival of the Warhammer we all know and love. I think there is a massive amount to get our teeth into, with some subtle but important core rule changes as well as huge developments and balances in the books. I'm not going to go too much into my armies, but I have a couple of thoughts on the big news:

Magic

The obvious one. Multiple low level wizards now viable (maybe even optimal?). I've noticed level 3s also tend to be significantly cheaper than a level 4 now as well, so a level 3 and 2 combo could be a nice way to spread your access to some different magic lores. Talking of which there is probably an entire thread to devote to the new lores... will need to save that for another day. General toning down of power in exchange for a bit more predictability. Really nice changes.

Core rules

No more double flee shenanigans (yes, we all did it, but it was pretty gamey). Cleared up all the nonsense around uncompleteable charges. Clearer special rules, I especially like Holy Attacks (forces re-roll of ward saves). They've made Fear useful but not OP, taken it away from RnF undead now but made unstable better. My TK now have the ability to march like vampires!

New weapon rules for spears (fantastic), combined profiles for ridden monsters also look very interesting... open up some new lord builds for sure. ASF changes also look interesting, much more streamlined without all the re-rolls. Nice changes to cannons to make them less accurate, might be a bit too much with a reduction in damage but I'd much prefer them to be UP than OP.

Streamlining all the various multiple shot warmachines to use a single 'volley gun' rule - God this was long overdue. Tidying up of special rules in general has been done really well. Oh, and I nearly forgot the new deployment tactics - going to take some thinking on that one as well!

Overall conclusion

A really incredible piece of work and easily the best fan version of Warhammer I've read in the last 3 months. I hadn't really given this much thought until the 0.9 beta came out a couple of days ago and I have been blown away with the quality. Yes, the dorky renaming conventions are annoying, but if that's what they've been told to do to protect themselves then fair play. I really think that this version makes a huge range of different units viable, I can see proper combined arms becoming a thing again. I've signed up to a 60+ person 9th age tournament in February, so going to have to get some major practice in before then!

Question is - what army do I take??? Just too much choice at the moment.

Anyway - would love to hear other thoughts from anyone who's read/played the ruleset.

Banned

Re: 9th Age Tactics

I'm going treemen - yes you could do treemen in 8th, but the lack of full command for dryads and treekin/Branchwraithe BsB, was a silly (or even spiteful) omission that made that list unworkable in general play as you couldn't ever play blood or Glory

Quote Originally Posted by ewar View Post
    Yes, the dorky renaming conventions are annoying, but if that's what they've been told to do to protect themselves then fair play.
    Don't worry, apart from the Undying Dynasties aka Tomb Kings army book all the other army books just have placeholder unit names. The Background and Art team is hard at working creating the setting (very familiary, but original work not derived from GW) and making unit names which fit the units is currently on the agenda.

So if you could tell me if the UD names also fall into the "dorky" category or not, because this the first AB that has been updated with the new names. By the end of this week six more books will follow.

Anyway I am glad you like it

Cheers
    Fantasy Battles - The 9th Age
    Background and Army Development Team

Yes this is Giladis, my old profile died for me so I resurected myself :skull:

Still reading, reading. So far though it is great. Alot of changes yes but it is just more so clarity than ultra drastic change. All the junk that made the game seem bent or broken doesn't seem to be around as much like stubborn isn't everywhere anymore. No third eye, the chaos warriors daemon prince "unstable " now.
    Reading through the warriors book at the moment and I really like the changes. Khorne is good again and so is Slannesh.
    The brutes may be a touch over the top but nothing to worry about.
    Don't forget as well if you see something not right or hard to fathom it is not like we will be stuck with it for 8 to 10 year's it seems like this will be the most capable living rules set available anywhere and problems will be corrected quickly.
    "The path we walk is not so straight and there is no end to the figure eight."

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Still reading, reading. So far though it is great. Alot of changes yes but it is just more so clarity than ultra drastic change. All the junk that made the game seem bent or broken doesn't seem to be around as much like stubborn isn't everywhere anymore. No third eye, the chaos warriors daemon prince "unstable " now.
    Reading through the warriors book at the moment and I really like the changes. Khorne is good again and so is Slannesh.
    The brutes may be a touch over the top but nothing to worry about.
    (I'm doing this from memory so I apologize if I'm off on something below.)

Basic and reasonable changes (DP being Unstable) and simplifying seems about right. I like the toning of Warriors Initiative down to 4 (really like it).

What are your thoughts on the Mark of Khorne? I like the core concept (+1S on first round of combat, no parries on first round of combat) as it seems VERY characterful, but I'm not sure how I like it combined with other options. Chosen of Khorne with +1S and MoK for +2 on first round (S6 base) seem like such a strange choice, I don't even know exactly what I'd give them, though 2xHW and shield (love the point system for the shield) seems a good choice (and combined with the Lord's ability to allow all supporting models to fight with full attacks, that could be a unit that could put out absolutely spectacular damage for minimal numbers with 3 S6 attacks/model). Knights and Skullcrushers in a similar position, with +1S on the first turn I don't know if I'd bother giving them Ensorcelled weapons for the cost, but Lances seems like overkill as well.

The Slaanesh Fast Cav have a crazy special rule. It really struck me as being nuts when I first read it.

The Marauder character is a mess. Same special rule as the Warrior Lord (models in supporting ranks can make more than 1 attack each), but Marauders have NO ability to gain multiple attacks, so that ability is completely useless. The ACTUAL reason to take that character is so that you can BUY the gift that allows Marauder units (Marauders, Marauder Cav, Slaanesh unique Marauder Cav) to buy magic standards. I think pretty clearly the purchased ability should be the included one (and the useless one removed), as currently you need to pay points for the character so that you can pay points for an ability that does nothing but allow you to pay points for your unit.

Chapter Master

I just read the ninth age rules, they are excellent. It makes me wonder why the community didn't just step up sooner and write their own rules.

A little nervous about my skaven but everything else looks solid.
    This signature is under construction . . .

A few things to keep in mind:
    Flank and rear bonuses are devastating.
    Steadfast is a lot easier to break.
    The -1ld from fear hurts.
    Monsters count as having ranks
    Parry is now a -1 to hit
    Spears have kb against cav from the front
    Kb has changed (no armour save)

There are some devastating new combos out there. But nothing that can't be mitigated.

A strong movement phase is beyond necessary in 9th age

@ Ayin I like the way the MOK works now. +1 strength until a combat is lost, not just for the first round. Mix with the +1str from the chosen of the dark gods and yes str 6 chosen/brutes. Excellent for additional hand weapons that also confer +1 initiative now.
    The Barbarian character is looking pretty solid for the points, mainly for the extra leadership. The sea ambush skill for 40 points would be great for a sneaky surprise with a big block of the aka barbarians, who are cheap again YAY!
    So onto the inspire greatness rule. I like it and find it FULL of character. It is one of those things where you can gamble on the fact you may cause more casualty bonus to forgo your rank bonus.(being chaos having more than 2 ranks toward some final combats is rare anyway.) Having it on the barbarian character could pay of if sounds situational at best but the lore of lust has Frenzied hysteria spell for extra attacks on the barbarians with say flails as well as there is an option for additional hand weapons at the cost of the light armour.
    Couple of things to note I am seeing a lot more armour piercing and a lot more armour, elven warriors with a 4+ save for example.

I think I'm most excited about trying out ridden monsters again. Tomb king on sphinx, Glade Lord on forest dragon etc.

My only concern with these rules is the wounds not stacking. No ward saves or decent armour means these guys will get chipped down pretty quickly, even with a high toughness (just look at how uncompetitive war sphinxes were in uncomped tomb kings).

It means every ridden monster character will tool up with a giant blade and ots and nothing else. Might get a bit one dimensional after a while. Though I agree no decent armour and wards is the right approach.

I think I'm most excited about trying out ridden monsters again. Tomb king on sphinx, Glade Lord on forest dragon etc.

My only concern with these rules is the wounds not stacking. No ward saves or decent armour means these guys will get chipped down pretty quickly, even with a high toughness (just look at how uncompetitive war sphinxes were in uncomped tomb kings).

It means every ridden monster character will tool up with a giant blade and ots and nothing else. Might get a bit one dimensional after a while. Though I agree no decent armour and wards is the right approach.

Then it is a good thing you can get 3+/4++ on the Sphinx ridden by the Pharaoh

Quote Originally Posted by Giladisb View Post
    So if you could tell me if the UD names also fall into the "dorky" category or not, because this the first AB that has been updated with the new names. By the end of this week six more books will follow.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude

The Undying Dynasties names are fine, they're easy to tell what things are. I guess it's just hard moving away from 20+ years of names for particular units.

Then it is a good thing you can get 3+/4++ on the Sphinx ridden by the Pharaoh
    How? I can't see how that is possible from the book. Actually I didn't realise the mount version of the sphinx is so much worse than the Warsphinx - why only T6? You pay 180 points for +1 wound, +1T and 4 S5 attacks. Plus I think you lose the ability to have a decent save (as I can't see where you're getting a 4++ from) as the ridden monster core rules state you must use the monsters save.

Any thoughts on why this appears such a poor upgrade choice?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude
    I thought you were funny.

How? I can't see how that is possible from the book. Actually I didn't realise the mount version of the sphinx is so much worse than the Warsphinx - why only T6? You pay 180 points for +1 wound, +1T and 4 S5 attacks. Plus I think you lose the ability to have a decent save (as I can't see where you're getting a 4++ from) as the ridden monster core rules state you must use the monsters save.

Any thoughts on why this appears such a poor upgrade choice?
    Because it isn't a Ridden Monster

We really thought a lot how to make it playable (which it wasn't in the 8th ed.), but not overpowered, and the solution was to take the same rout as the HE Griffon or OnG Wyvern.

On the topic of monsters, i like the monstrous rank rule. (Counts as one rank) no longer will they be held up by one rank of guys.
    There is a shield in the common magic items for 70pnts that I think grants a 5++ to the "model" so I am assuming for a monter/rider team.

Because it isn't a Ridden Monster

We really thought a lot how to make it playable (which it wasn't in the 8th ed.), but not overpowered, and the solution was to take the same rout as the HE Griffon or OnG Wyvern.
    Aha, sorry I missed that it was a monstrous beast now! Hmmm... will need play testing, but at least it looks like a reasonable choice whereas before it was a non-starter. Good work!

Is there a risk that these monstrous beasts that are really monsters will be hugely better than stuff like a dragon? Having T6 5W and a 4++ is massively better than a regular dragons stats - will be interesting to see what people start to run. Either way I really like that there are realistic options to a level 4 now. A tooled up combat lord and 2 level 2s looks like a realistic possibility now, so great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    On the topic of monsters, i like the monstrous rank rule. (Counts as one rank) no longer will they be held up by one rank of guys.
    There is a shield in the common magic items for 70pnts that I think grants a 5++ to the "model" so I am assuming for a monter/rider team.
    Yeah I was wondering the same, but the ridden monster rules don't allow the riders saves to be used... not sure what the intent is here (i.e. does this override those rules?), but there doesn't seem to be any other reason to take it.

There are too many new army books to look through, I'm like a kid in a candy store

I think as it stipulates "wearer's model" as opposed to just the wearer. For 70pnts and only vs shooting I think this is the intent.
    Ridden monster rules do say can not use save, regen etc yet there is a clause to allow for certain things to happen.

The 70 point 5+ ward save from ranged is specifically meant to be used when riding a monster.

And Ewar, we've had our disagreements in the past (I believe mostly about the Banner of the World Dragon) but I am delighted to see you so excited about 9th Age.

It has taken over 100 volunteers many months to craft these books and rules and they are far from perfect, but they are improving all the time and the best way to do that is for people to play games and post feedback on the 9th age forums. Every little bit helps.
    The Obsidian Thirst Battle Report Thread:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...Battle-Reports
    -Aaron Dona

Haha yes that's right. However since my high elf playing friend has taken to running only the botwd cav star backed up with frosty and star dragon my views have changed slightly! It might also have something to do with playing wood elves... that is a seriously challenging match up

Ot: I'm loving the new treeman rules, they seem to be good value now. Also as a TK and WE player I love the change to flammable, not quite as brutal any more thank god.

One other thing I noticed was the flaming banner now gives you the choice of flaming attacks. Seems like a strange decision to me, where is the downside? Before you had to balance the chance of running into a dragonhelm/fireborn. With this change, is there much incentive to take fire wards?

I am interested in seeing how monsters and monstrous beasts that can be mounted will compare. Currently I actually see a dragon as a lot weaker than a manticore. I don't really see a reason to take it - simply because the Manticore profits from better armour of the rider a potential ward save. I'll definately try out the Manticore more now though

Quote Originally Posted by JRadau View Post
    I am interested in seeing how monsters and monstrous beasts that can be mounted will compare. Currently I actually see a dragon as a lot weaker than a manticore. I don't really see a reason to take it - simply because the Manticore profits from better armour of the rider a potential ward save. I'll definately try out the Manticore more now though
    Oh, that passed me by. I thought the manticora" was not very good until this was pointed out. Excellent. The dragon does seem a little weak now maybe an extra wound or two would have been better, but hey baby steps.
    I am really liking the streamlining in certain area's . The options are also subtle and effective across most units now as well. Just all the things in the right places and it feels "right". Play testing Sunday.
    The weapons master rule is pretty kick ass. High priestess of lust and other heroes of lust have acess to this as well. Great option.
    Just for clarity with the unit no longer engaged in a combat are over runs and pivots done in the active players turn now?
    Last edited by Soundwave; 14-11-2015 at 15:06.

Just shared the 9th page with my group, really exciting stuff and an extremely comprehensive polishing of the game!
    ‘Those who affect masks, and steal their way through shadows, and take the names of others as their own, are more deadly than any blooded warriors.’ – Gallan, On Espiel

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast