Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: When?

  1. #1
    Librarian
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    464

    When?

    What actual historical period do the most advanced Empire troops (Pre AOS) most closely correspond to?

  2. #2
    Chapter Master BattleofLund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: When?

    World War One.

    ... no wait there's the robo-horse, and that's more like right now. Like, this decade.
    Orphaned grandspawn of the 19th century.

  3. #3
    Chapter Master Lars Porsenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Easton, PA, USA
    Posts
    2,945

    Re: When?

    Quote Originally Posted by jprp View Post
    What actual historical period do the most advanced Empire troops (Pre AOS) most closely correspond to?
    Early to mid Renaissance. State Troops often are compared to Landsknechts, the archer sprue looks like Tudor English, and the knights sprues closely resemble the Italian Wars. So ballpark 1495 to 1550's Renaissance Europe.

    Damon.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

    A Mtlhd of Wrsr

    My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: When?

    What Lars Porsenna says, though I would also add that the pistoliers are also pretty much inspired by mid-16th century reiter cavalry.

    One major difference between Empire and 16th century historical Europe is that in Empire pikes are not usually seen, while in real history that was a very common infantry armament during the 16th century.
    Who is Griefbringer? Read his poem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenyu
    Since World of Warcraft players manage to get themselves killed due to exhaustion, why should Griefbringer not manage to get himself killed with a regiment of table top miniatures. Youd be a pioneer.

  5. #5
    Librarian
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    464

    Re: When?

    Quote Originally Posted by Griefbringer View Post
    What Lars Porsenna says, though I would also add that the pistoliers are also pretty much inspired by mid-16th century reiter cavalry.

    One major difference between Empire and 16th century historical Europe is that in Empire pikes are not usually seen, while in real history that was a very common infantry armament during the 16th century.
    So what would be your reaction if a player included say some English civil war miniatures in his army?

  6. #6
    Chapter Master Lars Porsenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Easton, PA, USA
    Posts
    2,945

    Re: When?

    Quote Originally Posted by jprp View Post
    So what would be your reaction if a player included say some English civil war miniatures in his army?
    Probably wouldn't care since I've proxied War of the Roses for Empire before. But I would also wonder if maybe that person wouldn't just rather play historicals?

    Damon.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

    A Mtlhd of Wrsr

    My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Chapter Master Col. Tartleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,402

    Re: When?

    Quote Originally Posted by jprp View Post
    So what would be your reaction if a player included say some English civil war miniatures in his army?
    The thing to remember is the Imperial fashions are based on our own but didn't necessarily progress in the same way. For example Vlad and Isabella Von Carstein are supposed to be of an antiquated style because they're like 800 years old. Yet there is an 17th-18th century feel to them with their elaborately constructed late plate armor and elegant hairstyles (as we know, the high nobility continued to wear full armor as fashion well past the common soldiery gave up on it.)
    Trying to figure out how to play 9th Age with round bases...

  8. #8
    Librarian
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    464

    Re: When?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Porsenna View Post
    Probably wouldn't care since I've proxied War of the Roses for Empire before. But I would also wonder if maybe that person wouldn't just rather play historicals?

    Damon.
    There were some historicals on e-bay for a nice price but to be honest i`m glad i didn`t bother in the end. I am usually more in favor of a more primitive type of human army in fantasy (LOTR style or even ancients) but every time i see miniatures going for a low price i start thinking of excuses to get them.

  9. #9
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: When?

    If you wanted to field a more primitive looking Empire force, you could try fielding one from the time when Sigmar united the tribes and earned the friendship of dwarves. This would allow you to field a whole lot of ancient figures in it - though the selection of troop types would likely be a bit restricted since lot of the technology appearing later on in Empire was not invented yet.
    Who is Griefbringer? Read his poem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenyu
    Since World of Warcraft players manage to get themselves killed due to exhaustion, why should Griefbringer not manage to get himself killed with a regiment of table top miniatures. Youd be a pioneer.

  10. #10
    Commander Smooth Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    535

    Re: When?

    Could say they're one of the boarder princes and use Empire rules.

  11. #11
    Chapter Master Col. Tartleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,402

    Re: When?

    Or just say its 2742 in your timeline and the Empire held off the Storm of Chaos and the End Times were averted for a time.
    Trying to figure out how to play 9th Age with round bases...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •