Thread: Epic scale Warlord Titan by FW?

Epic scale Warlord Titan by FW?

Holy crap...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12247016_1233890153304105_8189179716343340001_n.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	222535
    Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Space ship design project

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Re: Epic scale Warlord Titan by FW?

What a thoroughly bloody smashing time to be alive eh

Chapter Master

It looks a bit too big to me- I'd consider that Imperator size. I don't know though- I'd like to see a 6mm guy beside it and a 28mm guy beside the big Warlord.

Not that it matters. I still want it.
    Orcs and Goblins, Wood Elves, Necrons, Tyranids
    W / D / L
    1 / 2 / 139847
    Everyone else's win totals are completely accurate.

If it is then Epic isn't 6mm any more, that thing is bulkier than an Imperator.
    Member of J.A.D.E.D

yup it just looks like a proof of concept model to me. Probably made to see how the big one would look scale wise before it was done full size.

Chapter Master

Orrr... Epic 10mm

Chapter Master

I highly doubt they'd do Epic in 10mm. Rumours are that those in charge of this range may actually be vaguely competent, and it can't escape people's notice that a 6mm release (that would snag old players) will get much better support than a 10mm release (relying solely on new players). It's kind of like the difference between Space Hulk and Dreadfleet.
    W / D / L
    1 / 2 / 139847

Well, this was apparently a proof of concept for the big guy... but it looks about right for 6mm scale to me. I'd eyeball it at about a fifth of the scale of the big guy and its parts.

Epic was always a bit loose about its scale (and, indeed, the size of the things it was representing in that scale), and I can't see it as a terrible thing if any new version attains some kind of consistency.
    -Inquisitor Marco Robert Skoll.
    Project log - Leander, 54mm scale Mars pattern Warhound titan

Chaplain

I can see them bulking out the models more this time round (and it looks too small for a 10mm Warlord-class Battle Titan). As for a 'proof-of-concept' would you make one that small for a production model that big? Or... is it a 'proof of concept' model....for an Epic scale Warlord!

Cheers
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkNorfolk View Post
    As for a 'proof-of-concept' would you make one that small for a production model that big?
    It's not unreasonable. ~6mm scale is a reasonably sane choice, given it's a fifth of the size of the final piece (making scaling up easy) and means that your initial test is in a size range where it isn't halfway to being an engineering project.

As someone building a 54mm scale Warhound (and a detailed one, not a "slap some styrofoam over some plumbing pipe" build), I can tell you a few things about what it's like to try building legged models in that kind of size.
    -Inquisitor Marco Robert Skoll.
    Project log - Leander, 54mm scale Mars pattern Warhound titan

Height wise it looks fine bearing in mind the way they mess about with scale. It does look somewhat top heavy though.
    Warseer - destruction testing 40k since 2005!

"The more you playtest, the more you find out about playtesters" - Rick Priestley

Chapter Master

Honestly, that is a standard round base is it not? Compare to these
    http://www.ifelix.co.uk/phoepic10_1.html
    Looks a fair bit bigger than even the old big one...

Still another box set completes the pyramid.
    http://www.ifelix.net/gamingblog/wp-...x_67c90d95.jpg

Can I ask why it makes such a big difference if it is 10mm scale instead of 6mm scale? I only ask as I've been seeing the same reactions across the internet and each response has mostly been the same - because 10mm is different to what Epic used to be.

Let's face it, it won't invalidate people's existing collections because GW is aware they have to build compatibility for players who have older miniatures into their games these days. Will it affect the game massively if all of a sudden it is a different scale? Or is it just a stylistic preference? When I've played other 6mm or 10mm games (usually they scale well) it's never been a problem.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Chapter Master

10mm scale models won't upset the gameplay (Epic Armageddon at least is very forgiving with base sizes), but it will impact how it looks facing off against (or joining) a pre-existing army, and playing on pre-existing terrain.

One of the biggest buyers for this game will be current Epic players wanting to add a new army or expand a current one- if the model scales suddenly change that's going to look bad, and is a massive negative to this game selling (especially when it's competing against some brilliant proxies). It's just an all-around poor move to change the scale of an established game.
    W / D / L
    1 / 2 / 139847

Chapter Master

While the small scale games are more about base than miniture size - it would look poor with old GW models. If you play 40k it would be like putting a 20mm model next to your space marines (think those bendy plastic soldiers for example). Of course the other games out there like dropship and similar are 10mm so it would scale with them.

Chapter Master

Should add that going to 10mm makes things seem less grand. One of the advantages of 6mm is you hit the point for most people where things seem really small and the distances on the table more believable (for head cases that is 3mm to get that feeling). At 10mm things are almost twice as big and you vere into a different sort of feel. Dropzone commander does it well - you have relatively small level of action taking place in a large town.

Are you just seeing this? They showed that off months ago when they released the Warlord.