Thread: New Hybrid lists.

New Hybrid lists.

I've been meaning to come up with a generic list of hybrids to use in the various missions for a while now. With the new figures coming out I might actually get around to it. I will be posting some ideas here, but in the meantime if anyone has any ideas feel free to share them.
    Warseer - destruction testing 40k since 2005!

"The more you playtest, the more you find out about playtesters" - Rick Priestley

Brother Sergeant

Re: New Hybrid lists.

I'm planning to adapt the hybrid rules from 1st Edition (as found in the Genestealer expansion).

Deathwatch Overkill divides Genestealer hybrids into two functional types of fighters. 1st and 2nd Generation specialize in close combat. 3rd and 4th are longer range oriented. With heavy weapons carried by 3-armed 2nd Gens (their heavy weapons are converted from mining tools originally designed to use a third servo arm). It's an easy to use, easy to believe "system" that cuts the number of generations and stats and rules by half. Crossover from DW to SH would be simple. Just a thought.

Upon further review, Mining Lasers in DW:OK are carried by 3rd Gen. hybrids with 3 arms.

Space Hulk was always at it's best when things were kept simple; the more rules, the less well it seems to work.

You big challenge will be balancing their shooting. How to make autoguns work in a way that isn't unbalancing will be difficult.

I had considered using them in a way where they suffered a 'hard to kill' rule vs terminators, but couldn't work out how to do it right. The 1st/2nd gen hybrids would have 2 CC dice, but would need to beat a terminator on both to win. Beating on 1 only scored a draw. But I couldn;t then work out how to make 2nd/3rd gen hybrids worse at combat in order to balance their shooting. My last thinking was to just treat them all the same - 2CC die, 2 shooting dice, termiantors classed as 'hard to kill', even in CC.

I was going in a different direction with bolters. The idea is if you need to with a bolt gun you can pretty much empty the clip, and therefore a bolter still gets 2 dice. However they also have the chance to jam, even when its the Marine players turn.

This then frees me to have lasguns and autoguns with 1 dice. I would probably not let them jam as often (just ow as normal) due to smaller ammo and therefore higher capacity clips etc. This makes them stronger than in previous games, but the blips won't be so loaded with 4th gen psykers toting conversion beamers etc.

As I understood it there is no hard to kill with CC, it's covered by the modifiers. Again, might need some balancing.

And yes - I totally agree that the simplicity was a great strength of the game. The more they added the clunkier it got, so I'm trying to find that happy medium.
    Warseer - destruction testing 40k since 2005!

"The more you playtest, the more you find out about playtesters" - Rick Priestley