Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Results 141 to 158 of 158

Thread: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

  1. #141
    Chaplain
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sandviken, Sweden
    Posts
    139

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Razios View Post
    If I remenber, he grew too powerfull so Settra under chaos gods order kill him, beheading him and presenting his head to archeron, pretty damn metal if you ask me
    ... how and why would the Chaos Gods order Settra to kill one of their servants? "Too powerful" how?

  2. #142
    Commander
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    555

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Andnore View Post
    ... how and why would the Chaos Gods order Settra to kill one of their servants? "Too powerful" how?
    Why do the Chaos Gods need a reason for anything? Come on, it's in the name.

  3. #143
    Chaplain
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sandviken, Sweden
    Posts
    139

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotrag View Post
    Why do the Chaos Gods need a reason for anything? Come on, it's in the name.
    There's a difference between Chaotic Evil and Chaotic Stupid; they must have had a reason for suddenly wanting Kholek dead on the eve of their victory. And that still doesn't answer how the Chaos Gods commanded Settra to kill Kholek, or convinced him to do it.

  4. #144
    Commander
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    555

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Andnore View Post
    There's a difference between Chaotic Evil and Chaotic Stupid; they must have had a reason for suddenly wanting Kholek dead on the eve of their victory. And that still doesn't answer how the Chaos Gods commanded Settra to kill Kholek, or convinced him to do it.
    The Gods get their servants to fight each other all the time for their amusement. For all their infinite power, they're still monomaniacal entities whose thought patterns are, to put it prosaically, completely and utterly incomprehensible to mortals.

    As for how they got Settra to do it, they decided to turn him to their designs after his defeat at the hands of Nagash. It didn't quite work out as you would expect, though.

  5. #145
    Commander Captain Marius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brum, UK
    Posts
    767

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    I read a lot of End Times stuff but never saw Kholeks fate, does anyone know where this took place?
    Marius Stormwrought

    Lord-Celestant of The Stormwrought, Warrior Chamber of the Astral Avengers Stormhost

  6. #146
    Chaplain
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sandviken, Sweden
    Posts
    139

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotrag View Post
    The Gods get their servants to fight each other all the time for their amusement. For all their infinite power, they're still monomaniacal entities whose thought patterns are, to put it prosaically, completely and utterly incomprehensible to mortals.

    As for how they got Settra to do it, they decided to turn him to their designs after his defeat at the hands of Nagash. It didn't quite work out as you would expect, though.
    You wouldn't happen to have gotten this stuff about Settra offing Kholek from Josh Reynolds, would you? Because GW declared all that Josh claimed that wasn't explicitly in the books non-canon.

  7. #147
    Commander
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    555

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Andnore View Post
    You wouldn't happen to have gotten this stuff about Settra offing Kholek from Josh Reynolds, would you? Because GW declared all that Josh claimed that wasn't explicitly in the books non-canon.
    Possibly. But I vaguely recall Settra offering Archaon something's head in the last End Times novel.

  8. #148
    Commander Captain Marius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brum, UK
    Posts
    767

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Im pretty sure Settra only appeared in his badass scene with Nagash, then disappeared to fight monsters or something...
    Marius Stormwrought

    Lord-Celestant of The Stormwrought, Warrior Chamber of the Astral Avengers Stormhost

  9. #149
    Chapter Master jtrowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    My understanding (I didn't read the book) is that in the novel, after having been resurected by the Chaos God promising him everything he wanted if he killed Nagash, Settra marched from the ruins of his old kingdom to Middenheim where he faced Archaon, as if he was following the chaos gods instructions.

    Archaon was at the time having problems with Kholek that proved to be refusing to follow orders and was being more of a liability.

    So Archaon decided to kill two birds with one stone and sent Settra to kill Kholek in order to prove that he was worth his time as a, ally against Nagash.

    Settra then fought for 4 days and then came back with Kholek head.

    Of course, after than once he was finally face to face with Nagash, Settra then made a final speach about how nobody not even the big Fours ruled about Settra, promised Nagash that he would have his head someday but that for now he had better targets, he protected nagash by killing some big greater deamon and turned against the chaos force, killing a giant as a warming move ... and we never heard of Settra again since then.

    This finish (as described second hand, remember that I didn't read the books) seems to be so perfect for the character (depsite all flaws of the second part of the End Times) that I would be very disappointed to have it not recognized as canon.

  10. #150
    Chaplain
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sandviken, Sweden
    Posts
    139

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Quote Originally Posted by jtrowell View Post
    My understanding (I didn't read the book) is that in the novel, after having been resurected by the Chaos God promising him everything he wanted if he killed Nagash, Settra marched from the ruins of his old kingdom to Middenheim where he faced Archaon, as if he was following the chaos gods instructions.

    Archaon was at the time having problems with Kholek that proved to be refusing to follow orders and was being more of a liability.

    So Archaon decided to kill two birds with one stone and sent Settra to kill Kholek in order to prove that he was worth his time as a, ally against Nagash.

    Settra then fought for 4 days and then came back with Kholek head.

    Of course, after than once he was finally face to face with Nagash, Settra then made a final speach about how nobody not even the big Fours ruled about Settra, promised Nagash that he would have his head someday but that for now he had better targets, he protected nagash by killing some big greater deamon and turned against the chaos force, killing a giant as a warming move ... and we never heard of Settra again since then.

    This finish (as described second hand, remember that I didn't read the books) seems to be so perfect for the character (depsite all flaws of the second part of the End Times) that I would be very disappointed to have it not recognized as canon.
    Thing is, I'm pretty sure a lot of that is what Josh Reynolds posted about the End Times on AskFM or some such; stuff that he would have liked to do with the story if it hadn't been cut short, and which GW (being GW) declared non-Canon and told Josh STFU.

    Edit: Here's a link to Josh, on the subject of Kholek - http://ask.fm/JoshMReynolds/answers/126423501279
    Last edited by Andnore; 25-05-2016 at 18:05.

  11. #151
    Chapter Master jtrowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Thanks for the precision, I had only second hand accounts so it's good to finally have the exact source, too bad as you wrote that it was made non canon, poor Settra, like our beloved Tomb Kings (and our Brets friends) really got badly treated by GW, as usual ...

  12. #152
    Chapter Master The bearded one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The lands of the nether, where the dutch roam free in the fields of Holland
    Posts
    8,729

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Meh, they may have 'declared' it non-canon, but it's not like there's anything preventing you from treating it as canon anyway - one of the functions of something being considered canon is that it won't be contradicted by official material, and GW isn't in a position where they'd possibly be writing new contradicting material, because they're no longer creating new material for warhammer fantasy anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    TBO is the only person I know who can take an absurdly oversized and expensive model, give him bright purple armor and a turquoise codpiece, and leave me feeling like I have to have one.
    Painting logs: - Dwarfs -Lizardmen -Skaven -Beastmen -Tau -NMM knights of the white wolf - Commissions - BURNING WOOD ELVES (also NMM)
    ---> Newest: 15-11-2015; Flaming wood elves (burning treemen and dryads etc) - army complete! ---> New: 18-5-2014; 2 prizes at Throne of Skulls!!!!!

  13. #153
    Commander
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    806

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    Meh, they may have 'declared' it non-canon, but it's not like there's anything preventing you from treating it as canon anyway - one of the functions of something being considered canon is that it won't be contradicted by official material, and GW isn't in a position where they'd possibly be writing new contradicting material, because they're no longer creating new material for warhammer fantasy anyway.
    And more important, GW clearly is not going to answer what happen in any other way, and since Josh was the one who write the last book he is pretty much the one who land the last blow to warhammer world, is pretty good tell us what happen, unfortanally if anyone have any question, we dont know

  14. #154
    Librarian Mudkip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    467

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Quote Originally Posted by jtrowell View Post

    This finish (as described second hand, remember that I didn't read the books) seems to be so perfect for the character (depsite all flaws of the second part of the End Times) that I would be very disappointed to have it not recognized as canon.
    Sounds like trash to me. I thought Settra was just some arrogant mummified not-Egyptian king, not a superhero wandering around delivering sick burns to everything in sight. They turned him into a comic book character. The whole End Times series is lame like that really and I don't like it at all. I'd take something like "The Empire at War: A Study of the Greatest Battles of the Empire" over the End Times any day.

  15. #155
    Commander
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    806

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkip View Post
    Sounds like trash to me. I thought Settra was just some arrogant mummified not-Egyptian king, not a superhero wandering around delivering sick burns to everything in sight. They turned him into a comic book character. The whole End Times series is lame like that really and I don't like it at all. I'd take something like "The Empire at War: A Study of the Greatest Battles of the Empire" over the End Times any day.

    Settra was THE tomb king, not just some story knock off but Sigmar in crack, fantasy have chararter doing thing long before comic book take the spot in that way

  16. #156
    Chapter Master jtrowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    This.

    While I found the character of Settra arrongant to the extreme, the thing is that even alive he was one of the greatest humans kings to have ever lived, comparing him to Sigmar (back when he was still a simple human emperor) is a good exemple and it was possible to both dislike the person and still have respect for what he did and was.

  17. #157
    Commander
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    806

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    Quote Originally Posted by jtrowell View Post
    This.

    While I found the character of Settra arrongant to the extreme, the thing is that even alive he was one of the greatest humans kings to have ever lived, comparing him to Sigmar (back when he was still a simple human emperor) is a good exemple and it was possible to both dislike the person and still have respect for what he did and was.
    Something weird I have seen lately in this forum is the idea of reduce the epicness of some chararter like Sigmar and Settra, in part for their hated of AoS which I consider very weird.

  18. #158
    Admin blackcherry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    WarSeer
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Gav Thorpe Author Notes (AoS)

    The thing about Warhammer Fastasy was that it was that it swallowed up so many fantasy tropes and left enough to the imagination that people could fudge a few things if they didn't fit into their view of what the setting was like, even when it explicitly stated to be one way only.

    I've met enough WFB players in my time that play down the high fantasy elements because they want to focus on the low fantasy stuff (and vice versa). But this approach does lead to some very interesting cognitive dissonance at times, such as the Settra example above.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

    Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •