Views:	892 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	226989

So, by this summer there will be three ways to play Age of Sigmar:

1. Open Play, with any number of models/armies/players

2. Narrative Play, with scenarios set in the world of the Age of Sigmar

3. Matched Play, with points and tournaments

What does everyone think?

(I figured this kind of news deserved its own thread...)

Re: Age of Sigmar: Three Ways to Play

This could be good. Based on their lack of skill with allocating points to anything it could also end terribly.

Either way I'll be happy

Banned

I prefer to call this Age of Sigmar: What we should of done to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by ebbwar View Post
    I prefer to call this Age of Sigmar: What we should of done to start with.
    It's more like Age of Sigmar: Getting people's hopes up before their routinely crushed when it turns out that the points don't work.

Will the old Fantasy armies get points? That's the next big question.

Quote Originally Posted by duffybear1988 View Post
    This could be good. Based on their lack of skill with allocating points to anything it could also end terribly.

Either way I'll be happy
    Uff too bad its not just GW then...

It will make the game more accessible but won't fix many of the basic problems inherent in the game itself.

It'll entice the people already on board with AoS as it is now (they basically use a version of these rules already as I undertand), but I can't see many lapsed players returning.

Community created point system already exist and are widespread. It'll just be GW putting their stamp on them, which will make it harder for any alternative community system to exist. So it might actually create less diversity (for better or worse).
    Quote Originally Posted by Holier Than Thou View Post
    Is it a good game design feature that a goblin is considered equal to a Dragon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Yes under the circumstance the tribe could be of dragon hunters is a device capture/bring down a dragon a impossibility?
    [Heresy Era 30k] The Eaters of Worlds Children of a savage messiah, Waagh K.F.O.R.K - My Orks, The log on my ever growing undead horde

Will the old Fantasy armies get points?
    Quote Originally Posted by ekxw View Post
    dont care anymore, i will try 9th age
    I can't really say Age of Sigmar has a big chance with me. No background, just endless and meaningless something. I am no fan of the miniatures either.

I will take a look if and only if it works out with old armies. But otherwise I am already well into looking at the 9th age and won't miss out on anything if they don't.

On a side node, it is too little info. They should come out clean and have the lists out with this update. If its a big book you need to buy, then they already lost me there.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

I haven't played AOS but did play a little bit of 8th. I do actually think this would be enough for me to give it a go - probably a few proxy games etc. Whilst I see your point about the community created points systems - for me, having a GW stamp on it (GW official) does appeal to me - I know this is probably wrong but I do think I'd have an easier time convincing friends to try if I can say 'hey GW has a points system for AOS' rather than 'Some guys came up with a points system for AOS'.

Rightly or wrongly, I just think there is more weight to a system that is seen as 'official' - especially if it becomes a default that I can go to a store or play at an event etc. I guess it comes down to philosophically where you sit. For me - I'd rather play a game (or in this case points system) that is perhaps not as good but is one that the most people play than play a superior effort that only a handful of guys are playing. But that's just me and what I value in a game I suppose.

In summary - this would be enough to make me have a look at AOS but may not be enough to convince me to drop my wallet on an army

It is good to see GW getting involved in the community again. Hopefully this trend continues with them into 40k.

Great move, I'm excited to see the campaign and competitive systems, and I'm really glad they're approaching it as '3 ways to play' and not one size fits all.

Lots of good changes happening at GW lately! 2 way communication with the community is a very welcome one.
    The Stronghold - dedicated to the forces of destruction (orruks, grots, ogors and other beasties) in Warhammer Age of Sigmar!

www.the-stronghold.com

Age of Sigmar: Three Ways to Play

It's great to see they are listening at GW towers. It's been a slow turnaround but it looks like they're making an effort to engage again - even if it is too late for many.

The three ways to play is a good thing, mostly because it's coming from an official source. Of course you've always been able to play WFB like that too but in recent times (last 15 years or so) both it and 40k have been dominated by a horde of players who will only accept competition/tournament play as the only way to do it.

Now we have a distinct three modes for all types of players and three types of game to suggest for the pickup crowd too.

I'm hoping it may put paid to the constant handbags at dawn battles between those who wish to play competitively, those who wish to create their own stories and armies to suit and those who just want a fun filled quick game with whatever's to hand. Because all those options are and always were valid.

From what I read on GWs FB page the competitive rules and points have been generated and balanced by an external communication with community groups, not so much done in-house. So for those wondering, it may be done well.

GW: Hi there how you doing? I haven't seen you in a while... I see you have been messing about with Mantic and that frostgrave game too...

Player base: Yeah I've been playing them for a few months now, but look your the one drove me away you don't have any say in how I game any more.

Gw: Hey look I'm not judging, it's just I miss you player base... its been a while and I though about what you said and I'm sorry for all the arguments. Look I just want to be friends again, See I have points again and I'm tolerant to all types of game play. What can I say I've really changed.

Player base: You may have points again but you've done this to me so many times now, you said you'd changed last time when you re-released 40k too early and when when you made web exclusive bundles with extra rules and tried to force me to buy an ipad to get FAQs... I'm just not sure I can play your games any more, I've just been hurt too many times... you know how it is.

GW: I understand I totally do, but I've changed honest. I sent some guys to a wargames show and I have a face book page and every thing.

Player base: I'm sorry its just too late...

GW: That's cool I'm sorry you feel that way... oh what's that? Is that a copy of blood bowl I just dropped... Shhh, that's right just hand over the wallet and every thing will be fine.
    Last edited by williamsond; 25-04-2016 at 15:05.

Chapter Master

I'd like to see how they intend to balance the game without doing a serious rules rewrite, or having too complicated a system. With current summoning rules, and the way units tend to have special rules making them better as the unit gets bigger (while still having every model matter, since it's a skirmish game), assigning meaningful points will be near impossible.

I expect this to be poorly done.
    Orcs and Goblins, Wood Elves, Necrons, Tyranids
    W / D / L
    1 / 2 / 139847
    Everyone else's win totals are completely accurate.

Age of Sigmar: Three Ways to Play

If you'd like to see the actual words from GW, go here:

https://m.facebook.com/GWWarhammerAg...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    I'd like to see how they intend to balance the game without doing a serious rules rewrite, or having too complicated a system. With current summoning rules, and the way units tend to have special rules making them better as the unit gets bigger (while still having every model matter, since it's a skirmish game), assigning meaningful points will be near impossible.

I expect this to be poorly done.
    The points have apparently been done in conjunction with "the worlds biggest tournament operators". So if they can't get it right, it never will be.
    Last edited by MusingWarboss; 25-04-2016 at 15:00.

I have accepted that AoS is a very different game in many ways. It's apparently great for many players, I base this not on the war ongoing here, but some YouTube coverage on AoS tournaments I saw.

I can fully accept it as a game out there with stand alone qualities that does not catch my fancy. Many games don't.

I fail to see how this will benefit the current AoS player base because it is supposed to be narrative (campaign books) and you already can and should play it the way you want.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Good news, they have listened to the issues and deal with it (faq, points).

Lets just prepare for all of the wining regarding balance that undoubtedly come after the points have been released.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Banned

It's more like Age of Sigmar: Getting people's hopes up before their routinely crushed when it turns out that the points don't work.

Will the old Fantasy armies get points? That's the next big question.
    For models already discontinued, I seriously doubt it.

Veteran Sergeant

I'm going to give gw a last chance.
    I sold all my fantasy armies except for the high elves.
    If this new game is half good I will play it and I will also buy some of the new stuff.
    If (as I fear it will be) also this amended aos will be a sh! t like the other I will sell the elves too.

Inviato dal mio GT-I8200 utilizzando Tapatalk

I don't (have never) played and have 0 interest to. But I am very very pleased to see points back as I really liked writing lists, I look forward to this.

Chapter Master

When AOS came out i said that the reason it had no points was that GW didnt put in the time or effort/wages to playtest all the warscrolls to have any idea how to point units under their new AOS system.

I said then that there was a good chance points would come once the community had done the hard work for them.

It's good to be proven right....

I only hope that my prediction of GW releasing games set in the Old World in the future is also correct.

This is certainly a step forward for GW and a good move. We shall see how it develops.

Regarding Games Workshop listening to the community.... if only they had started doing this earlier Age of Sigmar never would have happenned in the manner it did.

This move has new CEO written all over it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast