View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 857

Thread: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

  1. #1
    Chapter Master ewar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Under the eaves of Tower Bridge
    Posts
    2,543

    A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    EDIT as about 20 people have pointed out, the poll isn't working, for reasons which are beyond me. I'm not going to set up a new thread, but feel free to add comments on how you would have voted below. Thanks

    Myself and my gaming group have been having an absolute blast playing T9A since about December last year. It has completely reinvigorated our war gaming, to the almost complete exclusion of all other games - we're talking all the time about new army lists, character builds, new play styles for our armies and so on. I've found it very reminiscent of the late '90s; with the excitement of a new edition and all the new army books completely jumbling up the old order.

    What I find puzzling though is that there are some fans of Warhammer who don't seem to want to try it or play it. I would have thought that if you were a fan of Warhammer pre the Great Catastrophe of 2015, that this would have been the perfect game. I know many have switched to KoW, AoS etc instead.

    So, out of interest, I thought I'd ask the community here (who are presumably fans of the Warhammer game as it was) what level of interest has been shown in 9th and whether you liked it/didn't like it?

    Now that the beta version is closed and we have a stable edition for at least 6 months, I think it's an ideal time for people who were on the fence to give it a go.

  2. #2
    Chapter Master Zywus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    I've skimmed through the rules and it's probably better than any of the previous WHFB editions. (the early ones are very different games so maybe a straight comparison is not really valid)

    I don't see myself picking it up over KoW though.

    IMO, 9th age is for you if you enjoyed WHFB because of the fiddly bits*. KoW is for you if you enjoyed WHFB despite the fiddly bits.


    *(things like magic item combos, differences in rules if your character is armed with a sword or a mace, adding/removing single models from a unit and theorizing if you want to run that orc unit 6 or 7 models wide)

    I'm among the latter group, but I do wish 9th Age all the best.



    Oh, and this poll doesn't work. It seems like the forum can't handle polls at all for some reasons these days.
    Last edited by Zywus; 26-04-2016 at 11:12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holier Than Thou View Post
    Is it a good game design feature that a goblin is considered equal to a Dragon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Yes under the circumstance the tribe could be of dragon hunters is a device capture/bring down a dragon a impossibility?
    [Heresy Era 30k] The Eaters of Worlds Children of a savage messiah, Waagh K.F.O.R.K - My Orks, The log on my ever growing undead horde

  3. #3
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,146

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Can't vote. It says "poll closed".

    But sure. 9th age is the main game at our group with a bit of KoW on the side.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    503

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Create another thread and check "poll date limit" in the options, that's the reason why this one is closed.

  5. #5
    Chapter Master Tokamak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,570

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    I don't intend to. Too much micro-management and too much fixing of what isn't broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0604854 View Post
    the future is another question

  6. #6
    Chapter Master Urgat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    19,590

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Nope, and I don't intend to. There's plenty of stuff they've done I don't like, I'm not going to make a list but some are just a deal-breaker for me.
    I'm content enough with 8th ed, and whatever we don't like we houserule.
    There, you have your explanation for one guy who likes the Old World and won't touch 9th age.
    Now I'll turn the question back to you: why would I care about 9th age if it's the lore that is important to me? It's not Warhammer lore anymore. You may think the rules superior, but using one's love for the Old World's lore as a reason to play 9th age is beyond me.
    Last edited by Urgat; 26-04-2016 at 10:17.

  7. #7
    Commander veterannoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    'Murica, f@&$ yeah!
    Posts
    961

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    If I could vote it would say no and intend to do so eventually when the situation presents itself. Though admittedly I'm having a blast playing AoS now and am not really interested to play 9th.
    The local event had 9th Age and AoS and both had the same amount of players I believe, +/- one. It's amazing...they can play in the same room, have nothing but great times and check each other's armies and games out to enjoy them.

    I would only try 9th with someone I trusted to be a good opponent or with guys from the national tournament scene back home, to ensure I had a good accurate first impression. But if I ever played it at a mixed event I ope my experience would be like that of the recent event.

  8. #8
    Chapter Master ewar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Under the eaves of Tower Bridge
    Posts
    2,543

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drakkar du Chaos View Post
    Create another thread and check "poll date limit" in the options, that's the reason why this one is closed.
    I've done plenty of polls before and this one was no different, entered '0' in poll date limit and its still messed up - I think it's something with the forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokamak View Post
    I don't intend to. Too much micro-management and too much fixing of what isn't broken.
    Out of interest, was the micromanagement something that bothered you with previous editions? As that hasn't changed at all. IME, gamers will tend to look at one army book, see some of the changes and say it's not for them, but if you try a couple of games you get a feel for the changes to all armies in context between them and the core rules.

    Just saying that it's worth giving it a go as it's free, I don't think I've come across a single player who tried it and didn't like it, despite some doubters. The magic phase for instance is just great now and you see armies running every different type of mage from zero magic through to multiple level 2 or 4 mages.

    Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    There, you have your explanation for one guy who likes the Old World and won't touch 9th age.
    Now I'll turn the question back to you: why would I care about 9th age if it's the lore that is important to me? It's not Warhammer lore anymore. You may think the rules superior, but using one's love for the Old World's lore as a reason to play 9th age is beyond me.
    I adore the old world lore. The fact that the army is badged 'Syvlan Elves' instead of 'Wood Elves' is not really a deal breaker IMO - and I find it baffling that playing with any of 8 different editions of the rules would give you a 'lore reason' to play, but playing with a 9th edition that is basically 8.5 with some altered names would prevent you from doing so? Very strange.

    But of course, it's interesting to hear your point of view, it's not one I would have even considered.

  9. #9
    Chapter Master Zywus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    Now I'll turn the question back to you: why would I care about 9th age if it's the lore that is important to me? It's not Warhammer lore anymore. You may think the rules superior, but using one's love for the Old World's lore as a reason to play 9th age is beyond me.
    Not directed to me obviously but I assume players of 9th age in general feels like they are playing battles in the old world.

    Just like people felt/feel they were/are still playing battles in the old world, and immersed in the Warhammer lore when they were/are playing battles of house-ruled 8th.
    Is there really any principal difference between 9th age and a house-ruled 8th edition?
    I think 9th age could indeed be described as a heavily house-ruled 8th ed (in practice if not theory). It's simply a lot more changed than what have usually been the case by fan-made modifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holier Than Thou View Post
    Is it a good game design feature that a goblin is considered equal to a Dragon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Yes under the circumstance the tribe could be of dragon hunters is a device capture/bring down a dragon a impossibility?
    [Heresy Era 30k] The Eaters of Worlds Children of a savage messiah, Waagh K.F.O.R.K - My Orks, The log on my ever growing undead horde

  10. #10
    Commander Maccwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield, Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    542

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zywus View Post
    IMO, 9th age is for you if you enjoyed WHFB because of the fiddly bits*. KoW is for you if you enjoyed WHFB despite the fiddly bits.
    ^this.

    People have some nice things to say about 9th age but having been a KoW player for some time 8th and games based on it have lost their appeal as they seem bogged down by minutiae in a way that KoW isn't. Of course some people love those little details but I now prefer a more streamlined game which plays quicker and still gives me my ranked fantasy fix.
    Watching paint dry: http://maccwar.blogspot.com/

  11. #11
    Chapter Master Urgat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    19,590

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zywus View Post
    Is there really any principal difference between 9th age and a house-ruled 8th edition?
    A huge one: houserules are made and adapted to the tastes of the players who made them. 9th age are houserules that we (my group) didn't chose based on what we like. And as a matter of fact, there's plenty of stuff in there I don't like. Since I'm unlikely to play someone from the other side of the world, I have no need for a set of rules that is accepted worldwide, I only need it to work with my group of players. So I don't need to lock myself with someone else's set of rules, someone who has a different mindset on the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by ewar View Post
    I adore the old world lore. The fact that the army is badged 'Syvlan Elves' instead of 'Wood Elves' is not really a deal breaker IMO - and I find it baffling that playing with any of 8 different editions of the rules would give you a 'lore reason' to play, but playing with a 9th edition that is basically 8.5 with some altered names would prevent you from doing so? Very strange.
    Fair enough. Then why wouldn't this argument apply to 8th, or AoS, or KoW? Someone can very well play AoS and say his battles are in the Old World. It's not something that works only with 9th Age.
    Last edited by Urgat; 26-04-2016 at 10:45.

  12. #12
    Chapter Master Zywus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    A huge one: houserules are made and adapted to the tastes of the players who made them. 9th age are houserules that we (my group) didn't chose based on what we like. And as a matter of fact, there's plenty of stuff in there I don't like. SInce I'm unlikely to play someone from the other side of the world, I have no need for a set of rules that is accepted wordlwide, I only need it to work with my group of players. SO I don't need to lock myself with someone else's set of rules, someone who has a different mindset on the game.
    But you could just as easily house-rule 9th age to better suit your taste. You weren't locked to someone (GW) who has a different mindset on the game when you made houserules for 8th edition, so why should you be locked to what the 9th age crew has designed?

    If you think out of the box 8th edition is a better base than 9th age, that's of course a valid preference, but to me, it seems like a no-brainer to use 9th age as a base for gaming for anyone who enjoy those rules more than unmodified 8th edition. (For example there seems to be a lot less units that are obviously inferior choices in 9th age, so that's less houseruling needed or less instances of people feeling they've handicapped themselves for bringing models they like the look of but have sub-par rules).
    Quote Originally Posted by Holier Than Thou View Post
    Is it a good game design feature that a goblin is considered equal to a Dragon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Yes under the circumstance the tribe could be of dragon hunters is a device capture/bring down a dragon a impossibility?
    [Heresy Era 30k] The Eaters of Worlds Children of a savage messiah, Waagh K.F.O.R.K - My Orks, The log on my ever growing undead horde

  13. #13
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,146

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    Fair enough. Then why wouldn't this argument apply to 8th, or AoS, or KoW? Someone can very well play AoS and say his battles are in the Old World. It's not something that works only with 9th Age.
    I'm the only one in our group that plays with a genuinelly KoW army (basileans) the rest are playing with the same army(ies) that 8th and 9th.

    Obviously those battles happen very much in the Old World.

  14. #14
    Chapter Master Urgat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    19,590

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zywus View Post
    But you could just as easily house-rule 9th age to better suit your taste.
    Hum, no. With 8th ed, I only need to change what I don't like. With 9th Age, I have to weed out stuff, I have to bring back things they removed that I did like, etc. If I see stuff in 9th Age I like, I can lift it from there.
    Also, you're coming from the point of view of someone who is deeply involved in your hobby, as I am. My group consists of players who only ever think about Warhammer when we have a game. Otherwise they don't go on forums or anything. If it wasn't for me, they peobably wouldn't even know AoS has replaced WFB.
    According to you, what's more likely to interest something like them:
    1) making small changes to a ruleset they've known for years
    2) learning the whole thing all over again, because they won't know what changed or not in the first place.

    I'll tell you, it's easy: it's number 1), because they already know the rules, but ah yeah, last time we decided that LoS was blocked by minis following said restrictions. And, considering our history of gaming, with all our alternative units, special scenarios and so on, they would just ask me "why don't we just do our own stuff? We're prefectly able". Been there, done that. If I show my brother the list to whatever replaces the Brets in 9th Age and tell him, "now your Brets are those", he'll laugh at me.
    Also, my group consists of married people, with kids, who are very busy, the lot of them (and so am I). We hardly ever have the time to even manage a game twice a year now. When we houserule things, it's usually to make it simpler, faster. That's not what 9th Age would give us.
    So there you go.
    I'm not dissing 9th Age, I'm sure it's great for many people, it's just not for me nor my group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yowzo View Post
    I'm the only one in our group that plays with a genuinelly KoW army (basileans) the rest are playing with the same army(ies) that 8th and 9th.

    Obviously those battles happen very much in the Old World.
    Yep, that's what I said. It's not something possible only with 9th Age, so this argument in favour of 9th age doesn't hold.
    Last edited by Urgat; 26-04-2016 at 11:02.

  15. #15
    Chapter Master Zywus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    Hum, no. With 8th ed, I only need to change what I don't like. With 9th Age, I have to weed out stuff, I have to bring back things they removed that I did like, etc. If I see stuff in 9th Age I like, I can lift it from there.
    Also, you're coming from the point of view of someone who is deeply involved in your hobby, as I am. My group consists of players who only ever think about Warhammer when we have a game. Otherwise they don't go on forums or anything. If it wasn't for me, they peobably wouldn't even know AoS has replaced WFB.
    According to you, what's more likely to interest something like them:
    1) making small changes to a ruleset they've known for years
    2) learning the whole thing all over again, because they won't know what changed or not in the first place.

    I'll tell you, it's easy: it's number 1), because they already know the rules, but ah yeah, last time we decided that LoS was blocked by minis following said restrictions. And, considering our history of gaming, with all our alternative units, special scenarios and so on, they would just ask me "why don't we just do our own stuff? We're prefectly able". Been there, done that.
    Also, my group consists of married people, with kids, who are very busy, the lot of them (and so am I). We hardly ever have the time to even manage a game twoce a year now. When we houserule things, it's usually to make it simpler, faster. That's not what 9th Age would give us.
    So there you go.
    I'm not dissing 9th Age, I'm sure it's great, it's just not for me nor my group.
    Of course if there's a lot of inertia in your group, that's a obstacle against trying out any new rules system, or even a new WHFB edition for that matter, if GW had gone that route instead of crapping the bed with AoS. (You obviously did manage to transition from 7th ed to 8th ed though (unless of course you started playing during 8th edition), which is arguably a more drastic change from a pure rules-mechanics standpoint than 8th ed to 9th age).

    Anyway, you didn't mention any of that in your first post though, implying that you had to choose between 9th age and the Warhammer lore, and that was what I didn't agree with.
    Last edited by Zywus; 26-04-2016 at 11:10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holier Than Thou View Post
    Is it a good game design feature that a goblin is considered equal to a Dragon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Yes under the circumstance the tribe could be of dragon hunters is a device capture/bring down a dragon a impossibility?
    [Heresy Era 30k] The Eaters of Worlds Children of a savage messiah, Waagh K.F.O.R.K - My Orks, The log on my ever growing undead horde

  16. #16
    Chapter Master Tokamak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,570

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    I'm just a big End Times fan, GW could've just stuck to End Times forever and have me as a loyal fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewar View Post
    Out of interest, was the micromanagement something that bothered you with previous editions? As that hasn't changed at all.
    I don't mean gameplay wise. I mean rules wise. 9th age inhibits too much.
    Last edited by Tokamak; 26-04-2016 at 11:12.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0604854 View Post
    the future is another question

  17. #17
    Chapter Master Urgat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    19,590

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zywus View Post
    Of course if there's a lot of inertia in your group, that's a obstacle against trying out any new rules system, or even a new WHFB edition for that matter, if GW had gone that route instead of crapping the bed with AoS. (You obviously did manage to transition from 7th ed to 8th ed though (unless of course you started playing during 8th edition), which is arguably a more drastic change from a pure rules-mechanics standpoint than 8th ed to 9th age).
    Because I'm the one who decides ultimately, because I'm always the one who gets the BRB, I'm also the one who has to keep all the terrain, etc etc, so I call the decisions, regardless of grumblings. They're usually ok with it anyway, they get nice shiny armybooks and minis (well, not my brother). And people do usually like being in line with the latest "official" stuff, as strange as it is (Or Apple and Samsung would stop churning out new smartphones every year). Here, I'd grumble just as much as them, let alone manage to convince them. No point.

    Anyway, you didn't mention any of that in your first post though, implying that you had to choose between 9th age and the Warhammer lore, and that was what I didn't agree with.
    I didn't insist on the details, but I did separate the lore reason in a last paragraph of its own.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokamak View Post
    I'm just a big End Times fan, GW could've just stuck to End Times forever and have me as a loyal fan.
    Thanks Tokamak, I forgot that: I don't just play 8th ed, I play 8th ed+SoM+ET(+BitBL when we do sieges).
    Last edited by Urgat; 26-04-2016 at 11:22.

  18. #18
    Veteran Sergeant
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    98

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Poll is closed ya dafty!

    I haven't tried and don't intend to

  19. #19
    Commander Sotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    755

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    Poll is closed and 0 votes. I haven't tried, don't intend to.

  20. #20
    Chapter Master Malagor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    In the dark woods
    Posts
    2,661

    Re: A poll of Warhammer players - have you tried The 9th Age yet?

    I would have voted for "I've tried it and like it", it's a good game but it is a bit too serious for casual games I find, a area where 8e is just better suited.
    I love the fluffy rules that 8e has and been vocal about that the 9th Age team removed them. A O&G match in 9th can be fun but in 8e they can be hilarious and if I'm just playing a regular match maybe once a week I want to have as much fun as possible(winning isn't everything).
    So if I wanted to have a serious tournament with prizes and all that, I would pick 9th Age as the game since it's more balanced overall but if I want to just have a fun match or a tournament that is relaxed then 8e would be my pick any day.
    Houseruling 9th Age for fun and casual play seems quite pointless since it would just be like 8e anyway so might as well play 8e(Magic Phase in 9th age is like the only thing I would keep).
    Armies of Malagor:
    Warhammer Fantasy/9th Age: Beastmen, Bretonnia, Vampire Counts, Lizardmen, Ogre Kingdoms, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarfs, Legion of Chaos, Undead Legion.
    Warhammer 40k: Chaos Space Marines, Ad-mech, Sisters of Battle
    Warmahordes: Skorne, Trollbloods, Khador, Circle Orboros

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •