Thread: Epic Tactica?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Epic Tactica?

I dug out my old epic figures recently. I never learned the game, I just bought them ages ago because I liked the look of the titans; I just happened to get a nice amount of infantry too.. I've been painting them up, to have a Space Marine and Tyranid force to face off, so I can let a friend play as one or the other. Only problem is, there are so many choices on the Tyranid list, I'm having choice paralysis. Even with the limited models I have, I can't field everything. Is there anywhere I can get a rundown on when you take a Malefactor v. Carnifex v. Haruspex and other puzzling decisions?
    A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.

Re: Epic Tactica?

You'd need to specify which type of Epic you're referring to for us to help you out. Are you referring to Epic Space Marine and its Tyranid supplement, Net Epic (the fan based update of second edition Space Marine), Epic 40K, or Epic EA?
    Visit 40K Online for all your 40K needs.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

I really should have specified what edition. Looking at the Epic Armageddon rules, and using the EpicUK Tyranid list. I distinctly remember the awful "swarming" list being offputting, and I am not using it.

I'm starting small (1.5k, with 500 points of that being Titans) and building both armies from there. Building the space marine force was easy, but Tyranids have so many similar but different options. Very overwhelming.

Thanks for the clarification. The best place to find guides to using Tyranid units is probably over at Tactical Command, as that's the place where most detailed discussions about EA take place. Hopefully, some people will post tips for you here though .
    Visit 40K Online for all your 40K needs.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

Brother Sergeant

For epicuk Tyranids the crux of your force should be the Assault Swarms backed up by an assortment of teleporters that arrive at the start of turn 2.

The key that my gaming group's found is to create a "Sophie's choice" scenario for the start of each turn. You have to assume that you'll lose the initiative so your opponent will probably be able to deal with two of your threatening assaults before they can get in, so with a combination of lots of swarms being in position and your teleporters menacing key units they won't be able to deal with all of the threats quick enough to stop you engaging with the ones left and eating his troops.

Tyranids are not an easy army to play but they can be a lot of fun. Personally we prefer the epicuk tyranid list over the EA swarmy one more for the change in expendable.

No other army could have charged my mega gargant with support fire from another gargant with a combined 3 swarms, taken 22 stands of casualties and still win the combat

Sent from my 4027X using
    Tapatalk

EDIT with regards to the makeup of the swarms we usually try and keep them INF only and a mix of hormagaunts with a front screen of termagants in each swarm to protect against sneaky firefight assaults by the enemy. I've been experimenting with a formation of exocrine for the firepower but beyond that I can't really help with the bigger stuff just yet sorry. There are oodles of things we still need to try out....
    Last edited by flyingthruwater01; 04-05-2016 at 20:02.

Thanks for the input. I'll check out the other site. I do have a Trygon and an assortment of Lictors. Wasn't planning to put them in the 1k list, but I'll line them up to be painted next for force expansion.