Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guilliman and the Lost Primarchs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Guilliman and the Lost Primarchs

Since GW is bringing back Guilleman you now have someone who was very likely to know what happened to the missing two Primarchs. Since GW seems intent on running the end times, it implies wrapping up story ends by marching to an end. What happened to those two is kind of a big lingering plot thread. Do you think GW will change decades of keeping them as a throwback to the lost Roman legions and so players could claim their unique chapter as one of the original 20? If they were going to, now would seem like the time and I for one think they should, even if it is a throw away explanation that Guilleman says they were sent to slow the Nids so the Emperor could unite humanity and prepare for their eventual arrival. Now that the Nids are here Guilleman can speak of them without causing panic, que info dump.

My own speculation on if they were actually return to the universe as a playable faction would be that they wouldn't necessarily be imperial due to Guilleman's new marines. On the other hand, making them Chaos would really upset things on that side as they likely were Chaos before it was cool. No one wants hipster SM. IF that were to happen I would hope that they would be on a third side different from both, even though I'm generally against more marines.

On a similar note, the Cursed founding eludes that an attempt was made to make new Primarchs and that one might have actually survived and was whisked away by someone. Do you think this possible Primarchs might show up? I think it would be a better way to shake up Chaos with something new than one or both lost legions. What are your thoughts?

Re: Guilliman and the Lost Primarchs

Have you read any of the Horus Heresy? http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Two_unknown_legions

No I haven't. Honestly I'm not big on SM, but if the map says "here be dragons" then I want to see the freaking dragons. The two lost ones are a big mystery that I'd like to see what GW does with it. I don't actually expect them to be added to the game either, but then I never expected the Custodes to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by barrangas View Post
    No I haven't. Honestly I'm not big on SM, but if the map says "here be dragons" then I want to see the freaking dragons. The two lost ones are a big mystery that I'd like to see what GW does with it. I don't actually expect them to be added to the game either, but then I never expected the Custodes to show up.
    It's heavily hinted in the heresy series that the two primarchs had the wolves sicked on them. They've left the "why" vague, but they explained what happened to the legions themselves.

The marines that were left were mostly absorbed into the Ultramarines and that's why there are so many of them.
    My Space Marine project log http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347265 the Desert Scorpions, a Red Scorpions Successor Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Various people much wiser than I
    As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely the result of wishful thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    I believe they [Games Workshop] use the same PR firm as North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by avien View Post
    The marines that were left were mostly absorbed into the Ultramarines and that's why there are so many of them.
    That's given as an in universe theory and some characters openly scoff at the idea.

Most legions were either drew recruits from worlds as they went or relied almost exclusively on their primarch's home world. In contrast the Ultramarines had a very stable geneseed and ruled over an entire sector of 500 worlds and recruited the best from all of them. It really does makes sense that they were the largest legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangschrecken View Post
    That's given as an in universe theory and some characters openly scoff at the idea.

Most legions were either drew recruits from worlds as they went or relied almost exclusively on their primarch's home world. In contrast the Ultramarines had a very stable geneseed and ruled over an entire sector of 500 worlds and recruited the best from all of them. It really does makes sense that they were the largest legion.
    Being part in-game/ in-universe reasons why, is a major point of my XIth legion/ Desert Lions Legion/ Chapter...
    Part ran away, part was integrated, they end up disliking the Ultra-Smurfs, as do I, so yea, I like the fluff being vague, letting me do my thing.
    kinda makes me wish to write more up in regards to the XIth legion, but I am so far at a loss as to what to do with their Primarch,
    so I left that out, tbh.

I am unsure how to go with Legion XI and the Primaris Mary-Sue's..
    (Although I do have to admit, I like the Reivers, but dislike the monopose of them..)
    Last edited by Rhaivaen; 11-07-2017 at 17:42.
    Have a look at my Combined Krieg/ Ryzan Husarz-Grenadiers attempt: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177393
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggalo
    If my post comes across as angry/aggressive/offensive/whatever, it is not intended as such. At worst, it is merely incredulity, conveyed through the inflexible format of an internet forum.Don't flatter yourself thinking anything to the contrary

There are no end times in sight, only a little background progression in time for 8th new style/potential new factions/sides.
    If you like the Horus Heresy, mediocre painting and terrible camera work, check out my plog! For The Emperor and Sanguinius!

Mat Ward Fact #1432- To appease the few wargamers dissatisfied with his work, Mat Ward has used his own money to set up a help-line for them to call. Please dial 1-800-WHOGIVESA****
    Guild up to join the Mat Ward Defence League!

I'm not saying they'll end the game, but with Primarchs returning and Eldar gods waking up GW is advancing it into a time where secrets get revealed and plot lines get wrapped up.

I see no reason to believe that GW will go about systematically tidying up loose plot threads (especially not threads specifically designed/intended not to be tied up) just because it's the End Times™.

It's not like they've actually wrapped up any other significant plot lines so far...

No I don't think that the lost 2 Legions are going to come back, not do I buy the theory they were sent to stall the Tyrranids while the Emperior tidies things up. Based on my readings in the HH books, I think it is strongly implied the reason they are missing is because they either betrayed the Emperor, or when he came knocking they waged war against him or something. In one of the books (dealing with Lorgar, can't remember the title off the top of my head), it is strongly implied that the Ultramarines absorbed the marines from these legions. That reinforces my belief that these two Primarchs were not on-board for the Emperor's vision in some way...

Damon.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

A Mëtälhëäd of Wärsëër

My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Porsenna View Post
    No I don't think that the lost 2 Legions are going to come back, not do I buy the theory they were sent to stall the Tyrranids while the Emperior tidies things up. Based on my readings in the HH books, I think it is strongly implied the reason they are missing is because they either betrayed the Emperor, or when he came knocking they waged war against him or something. In one of the books (dealing with Lorgar, can't remember the title off the top of my head), it is strongly implied that the Ultramarines absorbed the marines from these legions. That reinforces my belief that these two Primarchs were not on-board for the Emperor's vision in some way...

Damon.
    The Nids comment was an example of how they could sum it up in a sentence or two.

GW doesn't know what happened with the two lost Primarchs. Maybe someone had it in mind at some point, but it's classic worldbuilding broken references: make something look lived-in and aged by breaking it a little.

The two lost Primarchs are just blank spaces in an Excel table, because having 18 boxes filled and two erased makes you interested, more than if we knew the names of all the 20 primarchs.. Something's always more interesting if there's more to it than you're given.

So, GW has, imo, no idea about the lost Primarchs. Anything they can cook up, they'll cook it up now, the lowest point in their long creative history. To me, it seems it's best if they're left a secret.

Right you are. After literal decades of speculation there's nothing they can come up with that will make the fan base happy or live up to our expectations.

To resurrect a semi-dead thread, after reading the Forgeworld Heresy books it's heavily hinted (basically spelled out) that at least one of the Legions was destroyed in the Rangdan Xenocide. Said to be a truly apocalyptic war, which is probably the most we will ever get out of it.

Also, after reading the Cawl/Primaris stuff I really wish they'd incorporated the Cursed Founding into the development of the Primaris Marines. It would have been a nice way of demonstrating the 10K years of trials and failures to make superior marines.

Commander

To resurrect a semi-dead thread, after reading the Forgeworld Heresy books it's heavily hinted (basically spelled out) that at least one of the Legions was destroyed in the Rangdan Xenocide. Said to be a truly apocalyptic war, which is probably the most we will ever get out of it.

Also, after reading the Cawl/Primaris stuff I really wish they'd incorporated the Cursed Founding into the development of the Primaris Marines. It would have been a nice way of demonstrating the 10K years of trials and failures to make superior marines.
    Yeah, I went I read about the primaris marines my though was "maybe the curse founding is cawl trying to test things out?" it would make new fluff integrate with the old fluff better.

Quote Originally Posted by Razios View Post
    Yeah, I went I read about the primaris marines my though was "maybe the curse founding is cawl trying to test things out?" it would make new fluff integrate with the old fluff better.
    Another indication that GW corporate fluff-makers have little idea or interest in their own lore.

I also thought about the Cursed Founding along the way, but so far, all things Guilliman and all things Primaris are completely new developments, unlinked to anything we knew before. Cawl turns out is 10.000 years old, Guilliman seems to have been planning with him some sort of resurrection and new Marines, and this was all a secret for ten millennia. Kind of stupid, honestly.

It was hinted that Cawl had been manipulated by an Eldar seer, but I don't think we'll ever see this point resolved.

Both Lorgar and Sanguinius have expressed fear about ending up like one of the Lost Legions, and the SW seem to take some pride in having already destroyed one loyalist legion well before the Heresy.

So there we have it. One destroyed in a huge conflict, one was purged for somehow displeasing the Emperor.

Some surviving members may or may not have been folded into the UM, though the author who came up with that has outright stated that it was just meant as a false in-world rumor.

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by totgeboren View Post
    Both Lorgar and Sanguinius have expressed fear about ending up like one of the Lost Legions, and the SW seem to take some pride in having already destroyed one loyalist legion well before the Heresy.

So there we have it. One destroyed in a huge conflict, one was purged for somehow displeasing the Emperor.

Some surviving members may or may not have been folded into the UM, though the author who came up with that has outright stated that it was just meant as a false in-world rumor.
    The Leman Russ Primarch novella makes it pretty clear that Russ' "I've killed Primarchs" thing is all bluster, and the Space Wolves are just putting on a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    The Leman Russ Primarch novella makes it pretty clear that Russ' "I've killed Primarchs" thing is all bluster, and the Space Wolves are just putting on a show.
    Oh praise the emperor! I couldn't stand all the self righteous, we're the best stuff, we don't use the warp, we've killed primarchs and blah blah blah. They're just a legion like any other. They've had marines go over to the traitors. /end rant

Commander

Oh praise the emperor! I couldn't stand all the self righteous, we're the best stuff, we don't use the warp, we've killed primarchs and blah blah blah. They're just a legion like any other. They've had marines go over to the traitors. /end rant
    to be fair, ABD have said that TONS of times because he was getting REALLY annoying with Space wolf fan braging about their primarch being primarch killer.

On the other hand, foreworld Russ show that while that is a lot of boasting, he was prepare to take other primarch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast