Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pulp Alley Table Project: Jungle, Urban, Airstrip

Re: Pulp Alley Table Project: Jungle, Urban, Cavern

Love the litter details...really brings it to life!
    My slow log of Terrain ,My slow log of Blood Bowl ,My tyranid swarm , My Khorne Demon army log, My Necron Army, Follower of Chaos, My Blood Angels, My 3D Space Hulk
    Bobo´s-random-sculpting-commision-and-other-stuff , if you are interested drop me a PM!

Thank you -BoBo-.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

It looks awesome (both), still going for 3 tables by next month?
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    It looks awesome (both),
    Thanks Little Joe.
    still going for 3 tables by next month?
    Although I started a third table the heat is off- we only have two slots for Trumpeter's- so I won't be working on it so hard once the last couple of details on the urban and jungle boards are done.

Minor update... the 3rd table, an ocean harbour has taken a lot of time largely due to my dissatisfaction with it. I have restarted it a couple of times now and am considering scratching it altogether however, as we don't really need it, I can keep trying to make something of it and if it is ready in 4 weeks excellent; if not, oh well.
    I did get around to making a satisfactory removable waterfall:

I also got my resin water poured. I did **** it up a bit though; instead of doing 4 or 5 thin pours I did 2 thicker ones and ended up with bubbles and some contraction as it dried. The last issue I was able to salvage a bit; the bubbles will have to stay. I glued some Woodland Scenics Forest Undergrowth foam foliage for seaweed. It turned out alright but contributed to the air bubble issue.

The "finished" table:

I was going to make a stone idol as a plot point and a bamboo hut but the table is already quite crowded with the terrain as it stands. I will get around to it eventually but we really don't need it for Trumpeter's so it will get done if time allows.

Where are the palm trees from?

Whatever you have planned for a touch up to the "finished" table, I am sure it will be great. I think the table looks very good as is. The waterfall looks good, it is an acrylic stand?

Thank you Little Joe, I am leaning more and more to leaving the table as is.The palm trees are Pegasus Hobbies ('Style A' ). The waterfall is a piece of plastic glued to a base of the same material. I then drew beads of clear caulking down it, flattened them out a bit and then added some white caulking on top.

Some street scatter came in the post last week (just in the nick of time!): some pallets, fire hydrants and trash cans from Fenris Games. Earlier I had also received some 20 litre cans from Warlord Games and a O gauge sign post through an online retailer of model railroad supplies.
    The Warlord Games cans were painted up as a plot point for the jungle table. They stand about a centimetre tall without the base:

"Narrow Bridge" sign post:

The Fenris Games products were a little disappointing. Although the sculpting was very good the casting of the fire hydrants was not. There was some flashing in recesses that were hard to reach and quite a few of the hex nuts were either round or recessed. Of the three hydrants here only one did not have a significant air bubble. The manhole covers were perfect though and the trash cans only had very small air pockets on the surface which I did not mind. The MDF pallets were a little fragile but you would expect that in MDF that is to scale. I should have bought a couple of packs of those as they would be universally useful.
    The hydrant on the right is in poor shape in particular: the nut on top is a misshapen blob and the side cap has a large air pocket.

You can see all the little air pockets in the edges of the trash can lids, especially the two on the ends:

Who can resist a couple of shots of the new pieces added to the table :

Last edited by Codsticker; 12-03-2018 at 00:20.

The cavern table has been shelved; instead I am going to build a double sided table. One side will be water for a harbour and the other will be a rough, remote airstrip. Although I have started work on the water side, the end results have been crap. As a result I started on a building for the airstrip: a Sarissa Precision Quonsut/Nissen hut. Barely big enough for 28mm historical figures, it is definitely too small for 40K.

The concrete on the roads is just amazing, I really like the spotted effect.

Show the new table ...

Nothing really to show on the new table as yet- it's just plywood with a lip. I hope to have something worthwhile to post on Monday though.

I got started on the basis of the third table: the abandoned airstrip. These two shots show a potential layout with the Quonset hut and a fuel tank. Most of the table will be scrub brush and long grass. I will probably add another building as well as suitable scatter terrain.

The fuel tank is from Novus Design Studio, part of their SciFi range although it is obviously a modern day propane tank.

I went a with a selection of Army Painter and Gamers Grass tufts this time instead of static grass as I have been collecting tufts and not going through them.

Re: Pulp Alley Table Project: Jungle, Urban, Airstrip

The airtrip itself is nearly done; just the runway to finish. Here are several pictures showing the stages of getting the table from the state above to where it is now.

I added pieces of cork to create small undulations in the ground:

This I covered in a mix of tile adhesive and sanded grout caulk, then placed small stones and sprinkled liberally with coarse sand:

A layer of glue/water/paint mix followed:

Then 2mm green static grass:

Woodland Scenics clump foliage and lichen then were placed, creating knee-high brush:

I then tufted the **** out of it:

The final stage was another layer of static grass in patches; this time 6mm Autumn coloured:

The end result:

Next up, the runway itself.

How in Wintermute's name do you manage to create a realistic spread of vegetation like that? I would 100% accept that you copied a photograph.

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

I did look at a lot of photographs.

By the Shimmertarn, that is some beee-autiful looking scenery. Incredible work.

How do you get your static grass to a) stick on b) stand up and c) not rub off the moment anyone plays on it?

Btw, your "I'm scrapping this ocean harbour because I'm dissatisfied with it" is most people's "OMG this is the best thing I've ever made in my life!"

Quote Originally Posted by D6damage View Post
    By the Shimmertarn, that is some beee-autiful looking scenery. Incredible work.

How do you get your static grass to a) stick on b) stand up and c) not rub off the moment anyone plays on it?

Btw, your "I'm scrapping this ocean harbour because I'm dissatisfied with it" is most people's "OMG this is the best thing I've ever made in my life!"
    Thank you D6damage. The static grass was applied with a Static Grass Applicator such as this one (not cheap, but when I decided to make building terrain to be the focus of my hobby I thought it would be worthwhile). I just used watered down wood glue. Over time some of it will fall off but it is easy to add a bit more if necessary. The grass tufts are from Gamer's grass. Some are from Army Painter as well. These are very accessible as even the hobby store an hour away from me carries them in my backwards corner of the world.
    Last edited by Codsticker; 07-04-2018 at 02:14.

Thanks for the links, Codsticker. Look forward to more updates.

The strip itself is finished. I did this a little backwards though....

I should have finished the pavement before flocking and detailing the rest of the table. In the end it didn't really make much of a difference. Before painting I scratched lines and cracks with a sculpting tool into the foam:

Then a base coat of light grey primer followed by a few different tones sponged on to create some mottling followed by a wash and then some light dry brushing.

I went of the cracks a few time with the black wash:

The final step was to add some more shrubs along the edges and some 10mm static grass in a few spots in the cracks:

In general I am happy with the end result but there are a few things I could like better. The cracks in the runway are close but not quite; I am not sure what it is but I am not quite satisfied. Same goes for the colour of the concrete; I would like it a bit "warmer". I sponged some light browns and a warm pale green (Americana Shale Green) to try for that effect but it didn't quite turn out the way I was hoping. The next step is some scatter terrain. I have another structure in post from Sarissa Precision as well as a pick up truck from warlord which will get turned into a derelict. A few bases of taller shrubs, barrels and some scrap steel and wood are also planned.

Brother Sergeant

Its an extremely convincing table you've got there! I would be more than happy to call it done and get some games on it. As fore the color sure it could be warmer or darker byt it would really depend on what kind of sand/graple was mixed into the concrete. This is not unnatural to my eyes. However since you want to do so something more then here are a few things to consider:
    -rubber tracks from landing ariplanes
    -oil marks dripping from airplanes
    -a little lava lichen around the edges and cracks (could both be green and blackish)
    -remainders from some old painted markings on the runway
    -birddroppings
    I'm not sure that they will make it warmer but quite often such things will draw focus and make the concrete become more of a background thing, making it easier to forget things you are not 100% happy with.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast