Thread: Looking for a easy way to play by post in phone chat for old timers with no time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for a easy way to play by post in phone chat for old timers with no time

I haven't been able to run a sit down game in a decade. Excuses include: No one can make it. Maybe when kids are out of school in 10- 15 years. They live two hours away now. Whatever.

I've failed to run a play by voip. No one logs in at game time. Can't play then. No mic.

A play by forum almost made it. Can't see it on the phone. Have to login all the time. Never checks the site, because the phone doens't alert them there is new content. I learned a valuable lesson, not to run combat by rounds on a forum as a single combat encounter could take weeks to resolve.

I think I need a phone based app. One that silently alerts you there is new content, so the midnight stalker doesn't wake up the early bird, or the chatty nerd doesn't disturb another player at work. Chat dialog in character, general chat for out of game banter. A "scene" or encounter of whats going on right now, with a prompt for players to say what they are doing maybe with a time cutoff. A way to read the past events like a story. Some pics. I don't need round by round combat, or even super detailed character sheets. Idiot proof. Laziness proof.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Re: Looking for a easy way to play by post in phone chat for old timers with no time

140 views, no replies. Maybe I'll be able to play a rpg in 20 years after i retire.

Re: Looking for a easy way to play by post in phone chat for old timers with no time

Try Discord

EDIT: oops 2017, but still relevant for many these days.

Tabletop Simulator is a sandbox for any and all tabletop games and you can find games to join as well. Many free mods and a huge community. Mantic had a blog on it, Weil of the Ages is working on legal mods and intro games for T9A.
    There is a ton of How To on YouTube now since the pandemic and by far the largest crowd using it is roleplayers. And there is other software like it with a smaller community but closer aligned to wargamers such as Tabletop Playground.

With some work you can do anything in such a simulator.

For Wargaming you could use Universal Battle 2 as a stand alone that also runs mobile. Paid you can save games. And some actually play T9A with SMS or email on it. So it's also a bit how you adapt. Easy identifiable images are a feature here.

Most of this has been around for a year or 2 and gets discovered now. But stay away from the illegal mods, there is enough free and community driven content or a small price goes a long way.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 21-05-2020 at 09:01.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3