Thread: Blood Bowl Bonanza

Blood Bowl Bonanza

Always wanted to put up a BB plog, but the Big Crash happened before I pulled my finger out. A league has just popped up at my FLGS, so I'm finally putting together those Chaso Dwarves I've always wanted (thanks GW for recasting them last year!). After digging out all my stuff to play a practice game with a friend who hasn't played for years, I found all the rest of my painted models from a few years ago, so I'm gonna put up some of them as I go, including my half-time entertainment (which might actually get the finishing touches I never got round to adding when I made it). Hopefully someone else will find some of these models interesting, but the main aim is to give me incentive to finish stuff off!

The team assembled.

Heresy Miniatures 'Manbane the Minotaur with Sir Roger the Lucky'. Fantastic model and the reason I'm playing without Centaurs in my starter list in the league :S

My Bull Centaur, a Parthian Bull by Eastern Front Miniatures. One of the stretch goals from my very first Kickstarter (for a Dwarf Gladiator BB team) - took almost 6 years from funding to delivery, so I wouldn't go looking for one yourself.

A side-by-side of the 3 manufacturers.

I've also picked up a few of the new resins, including Grak and Crumbleberry from Salute and the gobbo and Halfling refs, so hopefully they'll make an appearance at some point. Now to paint!
    Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log
    WHQ: Hall of Heroes & Quarg Hunter
    Blood Bowl Bonanza: A Blood Bowl Collection
    Guild Ball: Marital Matches & Terrain Tales
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Ah, nothing says "Christmas" like a huge stick with a nail in it

Get your custom title 'ere! DarthSte's Avatar

Re: Blood Bowl Bonanza

The minotaur is great, I'm really looking forward to seeing some colour on these guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

Got some paint slapped on. Not based any yet (going to go for snow and want to mix up a batch and apply to everyone at once), but got a 'test' blocker and hobgob done:

And the next lot on the desk waiting for their next slapping (apologises for horrendous flash):

Thought I'd chuck this in as I was fixing image links in other thread (*********** Photobucket...):

Always loved the Goff Rockers, had to get them when I went to GW HQ a few years ago, then had to make them a stage and a drummer to complete the half time entertainment! These are currently painted, but with no home/away markings on the board, and at some point I plan to add little scorecards to hang up on it. Problem is getting the motivation - so many other models I actually need for games, side pieces like this tend to drop right down on the priority list. Will try and get a 'current progress' image up when my battery recharges (and I remember). Also, mino is close to completion, but needs tartan and basing (WIP next time).

Urgh...
    So this project stalled because MS Photos, which I use to enhance my photos (one-click enhance, it's amazing) randomly stopped working and will not reinstall, so I haven't taken any photos as they will be very yellowy and I have no idea what other free programs I can get that can replicate that one-click enhance (manually fiddling with all the settings for every photo is not for me). Chaos Dwarves are complete now, so I'm gonna try and get some photos up this week regardless of how poor they look, just so that part is finished. Then I'll try and find a nice simple editing program and take so photos of my sideline models (got a mascot from Black Scorpion at Salute last week, makes a nice goal/re-roll token).

MS photos has returned! Dunno how, but it finally reinstalled properly. Not got any photos taken, but I have a teaser...

Last edited by S_A_T_S; 08-07-2018 at 00:00.

Get your custom title 'ere! DarthSte's Avatar

I do love Heresy’s Death Bowl miniatures... my brand new ogres arrived yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

Photo dump! Finally taken some pictures (thank the gods for the holidays).

McMoo did pretty great in the league, mostly because in the 2nd game he took out 4 goblins and rolled a double to gain Block, making him a beast for the rest of the league. Much harder to take down, and I had so much more control over his Frenzy.

Red & Blue the Bull Centaurs. Got block quite quickly (once I had the GP to afford them) and acted as battering rams to break holes for the cage to move through.

The dwarves. Two early Claw results followed by Mighty Blow on each, and eventually all the rest with Guard, made them a solid front line that scared high AV teams. If only I could roll well...

(Sun went in when I was taking this one, didn't realise how bad it was until I came in, not got time to go back and retake) Hobgobs! Two, Ballboy and Protege, scored pretty much all my goals between them, Protege finally overtaking Ballboy in the final.

In the end, I got to the playoffs with the team, beat the commissioner in the semis (overly pleased with myself that I was the only person to beat him all league). The final was a proper battle, against Bad Moon Brawlers, orcs with pretty much Mighty Blow on everyone. Thanks to my dice FINALLY rolling hot, I forced it into overtime, and squeezed in the final touchdown with 2-3 turns left. Claws and McMoo battered his front line into submission, leaving me winning on 3-2 and claiming the ABBL Championship!

Great league, with a new season starting soon. I don't like playing with a team in more than 1 league (it's a great excuse to make a new team, but I might go back to an old faction after quite a few years) so I'm starting an Ogre team! Loved the CJ Snotling team in them there old'n days, so I've stripped a load of my old snotlings and cut up some ogres I had for a Zombie Pirate army in the old world, and am halfway through painting them now. If I'm lucky new pictures might be achievable...

Parting Shot:

Mascot by Black Scorpion - love BS sculpts, especially their Wild West stuff but I don't play any games I can justify buying them for. However, saw this one at Salute and had to have it.

Been a while. Almost finished latest league, just the play-offs to go. Despite playing Ogres, looking like I've scrapped into top place of my division, so should be be going to the play-offs! Wonder if I can casue an upset like last time and come home with the trophy again, of which I must get a picture up.

Anyway, before I move onto my next team I've gotta get up some pictures of the Ogre team. Haven't taken them yet, but have got some pre-prep images to share:

Snotlings from the good old days, before I knew what a wash or a highlight was. Had to strip these little dudes down and redo them, especially the skin, which I now do as a series of washes over a Bleached Bones (or whatever the new version is) base.

The Ogres, originally intended to be Rotten Hulks for a Zombie Pirates army. Dug them out, ripped them off their bases and clipped off the weapons. Left the hats on, because they look cool.

Hopefully will be back with more pictures soon, as I've now completed Morg n'Thorg, Scrappa Sorehead and am veeeeeery close to finishing Grak & Crumbleberry, not to mention another sideline miniature I got earlier in the year from a stall at Diceini, a small local wargaming show in Norwich. The Norwich link is relevant to the paint scheme, which I may come to regret...

Told you I'd be back! Not Ogre photos, but some Star Players I've just finished and wanted to take some photos before I put them in their respective boxes/cabinet. The Star Players are the ones I carry for my Ogres (realised I need more gobbos, as they double up for Ogres & Orcs), so might still get some game time in the Play-offs...

The trio I've completed this month - Scrappa might have had some prep in December, but 3 dudes in a month: I must be on fire!

Grak, of circus fame. If you can get him, he's great, as you really don't need Crumbleberry when you are playing with Right Stuff players (Snotlings...), so if you are willing to sacrifice your blitz, you can really get the ball moving.

Crumbleberry! Nice little model, might be useful as a halfling in a Human team (can you still take them? For some reason I seem to remember taking them for my Ogre to throw...)

My only gobbo starplayer. It looked a bit bare from above, but the little splodge of blood over the chains fixed it for me.

The boss! Very pleased with the stubble (never tried and was quite worried) and a tiny bit of blood effect into the scar really works! The gold came out alright as well. New GW golds are actually pretty good...

A random Programme Seller I picked up at Diceini in Norwich (probably guessable...) Can't remember the make, but they had some great barrels and scenery bitz as well. If I find out, I'll try and remember to come back and post it. The close up on the stall is because I had to hand make those tiny programmes, as it was looking a bit bare. If I'd had some plastic rod, I'd have tried to get some coins on there as well, but didn't feel it was worth going out to buy some just for one little sideline guy who may never actually attend a game (gotta make a special effort to find space for all these extra dudes!)

Well, here's hoping I can pull my finger out and get photos of the whole team done!
    Last edited by S_A_T_S; 28-01-2019 at 19:10.

Ogre time!

The team is a bit battered after 12 games and 3 months of being carted back and forth to venues. They did well though - came second in the division and qualified for the play-off, but lost 2-1 to a Necromantic team in the quarter finals. Good game, but bonehead bit hard and I couldn't seem to break any armour (plus blodging werewolves are horrible). Great season for my Mercs For Hire, now they are off to fighting in the wars in the north, so we'll be moving onto a new team for season 3 of the ABBL (Athena Blood Bowl League, named after the shop we play in). Hint - it will involve lots of hair...

More close-up pictures below:

Again, apologies for the blue tint, it was the same setup for every picture, so must just be a technical/lighting/angle thing I'm not getting.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSte View Post
    I do love Heresy’s Death Bowl miniatures... my brand new ogres arrived yesterday.
    Hope yours have had as good a time as mine! Got any painted pictures?

Well, spent the week putting them together, thought I'd better put a 'before' picture on before I have a go at painting them:

Team shot! The team are an old Kickstarter for Roman Gladiator inspired dwarves. Awful Kickstarter (took 6 years to get them...) and the models aren't super high quality, but they are unique and I like them (a few awesome sculpts in the bunch).

Positionals (with some Star Players in the background) - plastic parts are from Avatars of War berserkers (the original heads didn't have big enough hair/beards for me).

Blockers and Deathroller, based on a trireme.

Looking forward to getting the bronze on all that headgear and armour. Got some more Star Players to add, but thought I'd better not get ahead of myself - need the team done first!

Dwarves are coming along OK so far (the 1st Slayer looks great - I'm so pleased I used those Avatars Of War heads!). ABBL Season 2 final on Sunday - Washington Deadthings (Necromantic Undead - team that knocked me out) vs. The Mongrel Horde (Chaos Pact - the commissioner's team). Going along to hand over the trophy and see the two of them getting stressed out. Should be fun.

Thought I'd dump a couple of photos, as I've added another Dwarf to the painting pile:

A version of Flint Churnblade. I had this heavily armoured dwarf in the KS, but he didn't fit with the others due to having about 4x more metal on his body than anyone else. However, I reallly wanted to use him somehow and realised I could stick a chainsaw in one hand and have access to another Star Player! Not sure it's entirely at the right angle, but the chainsaw (ork chopper donated by a friend) had to fit the model, so a bit of hacking and slashing got us close enough.

The trophy I have to hand over at the weekend. Winners are intended to paint their team name anywhere they want, but I wanted to mark the fact I was first, so tried to get it all on the front. We'll see how much is destroyed by the next winner (painting your teams name over the top of previous winner is very much allowed...)

Finished the Dwarves! Beware: photo dump!

Thraex/Blitzers

Secutors/Runners

Retiarius/Trollslayers - Love the heads and hair. The originals were almost shaved, the hair was so short in comparison.

Murmillo and Provocators/Longbeards - I swapped the helmets and arms around a bit to make them all look a little different. They were supposed to be set to fit the gladiator archetypes, but that would just look dull on the tabletop.

Trireme/Deathroller - Spent the longest on this one. The scythes had to be removable so it would fit in my carry case (even removed, it's a tight fit) so the wheels had to be glued half off the axle so there was space to fit them in. Very pleased with the eyes though.

As the Dwarves have several unique Star Players (as in, they only play for dwarves), I decided to put a few of them together at the same time:

My version of Grim Ironjaw. Made entirely of Avatars Of War Dwarf Berzerker bits. I HAD to include the swearing hand, and the stein. The plait fits great, as the original also has one, and it's a visual distinguisher between him and the 2 trollslayers.

Flint Churnblade. BLOOOOOOOOD! I just had to get some blood on the snow somewhere, cos it looks so good.

Barik Farblast. The classic model, found cheap on eBay. Quite pleased with how the white helmet came out. Love the old single piece cast models, so much easier and more fun to paint than modern overly detailed craziness (Bugman is irritating me).

Phew, so many photos! That is the dwarves complete now, ready for the next season of the local league. There are a couple more Star Players to get together (Zara the Slayer is on the table at the moment, and then there's the White Dwarf and Black Gobbo, and also Bugman. Always Bugman...), but I'm going to paint something else next, to give me a break from all the Blood Bowl. Aiming to make a Gaslands water tower and maybe get another Guild Ball team done. Salute is coming at the weekend though, so could end up with all sorts

Couple more BB minis finished!

Human Referee by Black Scorpion Miniatures. Black Scorpion do some of the best sculpts, and their Halfling team is amazing. Pick this guy up at Salute, along with a human star player I'm going to use as Griff Oberwald (the original is going to be my 4 blitzer).

Halfling Referee by Forgeworld. Got these the week they released but not been bothered to put them together. Was priming a Guild Ball model and thought 'May as well have a few models primed and ready on the table' and voilà!

Back after a while. Been working on some Gaslands cars, Moonstone Commonwealth troupes (lovely models, but some are too detailed for me and I'm finding it hard motivating myself to paint them) and a Hunter for Urban Manhunt. He's quite recognizable...

Anyway, I have finished some BB stuff!

Gobbo ref, companion to the Halfling from last time. I'm really not great at taking photos, I promise he looks better in real life ;-)

Zara The Slayer - the only model I managed to snag in the Great BB Purge of a few years back. Great player who has already helped out my Dwarves, but plays for Amazon, Dwarf, Halfling, High Elf, Human, Norse and Wood Elf, so is going the sideline case with Grak & Crumbleberry and Morg 'n' Thorg as an permanent option.

Also, had some stuff delivered the other day...

Ooooh, what is they? What they be?! We'll have to wait and see, as I have elves on the brain - after 3 seasons of ABBL playing Chaos Dwarves, Ogres then Dwarves (and a season of the Wyldstorm league playing Nurgle), I have this strange, strong urge to play something that has higher MV than 5 and AG 4...

I'm back (back), back in the New York Groove!

Been a while cos stuff happens, especially this monstrosity:

Damned thing is a huge drain on my time and resources. Lucky for him he's cute...

Anyway, back to BLOOD BOWL! My Dwarves, the Grey Mountain Guardians, made it to the playoffs of the ABBL, with one of my runners managing 9 completion in the season, just narrowly pipped to the title by a skilled up Norse Thrower (my reaction was basically Shatner in Wrath Of Khan, but wailing "YESJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC!" instead of "KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!"). Played commissioner in the semis, which was cool as we were the two previous league champions. Won 2-0 to set up a final against division rivals Warpstone Wanderers (Skaven). Tight game, lost 2-1, but at least it means 3 seasons, 3 different champions! Nice to see variety and an open field.

Project Updates
    Finally finished Bugman, and am quite pleased with how he came out:

My favourite bits were his book and the snow caught on his edges. The beer and smoke are nice too.

I'm sitting out Season 4 of the ABBL, as I couldn't really commit, not knowing how the wee beastie was going to affect my life. Really hope when Season 5 comes around, we'll be in a routine and settled enough to give me time to play my games, so I'm beginning preparations!

I'm finally going to play a team with less than AV 9! Being bashy is fun, but everyone needs a change, and it'll be nice to try an AG 4 team (wow, ball handling!). I like trying to make teams from single boxes if I can (my Skaven are from a single box of Gutter Runners), and I've always planned to do Wood Elves as Dryads. Wardancers were a bit of an issue (I love the old-skool mohawked, Harlequin-like Wardancers), but then I saw the Tree-Revenants in a local store and thought "You'll do!". Managed to get a sprue on eBay for £10 (only missing 1 model!), plus a classic Eldril Sidewinder model, set of Elven Union balls to make throwers, and a Branchwraith to be Willow Rosebark (half the price of the Forgeworld version). Hoping I can use the Spite-Revenant heads on the runners/catchers to make them more distinct, and ordered the Black Scorpion Halfling Squad, as it's a complete Halfling team with 2 Treemen for less than the price of the Forgeworld Deeproot Strongbranch. Savings!

Just gotta clear some space and get started...

Progress!

Eldril and Willow on the tile. Including full positionals, enough linedryads to make an 11 shrub starter team and cover injuries, plus the starplayers and treeperson have given me 21 players to paint (I think). Since taking the photo, I've started priming and even got most of the way through a couple of them. Trying to work out how to do eyes and mouth (I'd like Guilliman Blue glaze, as recommended in the How To Paint Wood Elves PDF I've got, but GW and all the other hobby shops are currently shut...), and how to base them - obviously I'll be using snow, but I'm thinking of adding leaves as well, which could be snipped off some terrain foliage I have in a box somewhere, or I could collect some leaves and actually use the leaf punch I randomly bought a while back...

Probably the punch. Now to find some leaves!

Hooray, the Wood Elves (Dryads) are finished!

Wardancers - Came out pretty nicely. I have enough pieces left over I'm tempted to make a Jordell Freshbreeze with the unit champion parts.

Throwers - the back-branches with extra gubbins in them help to make them stand out on the table, as do the bright white balls.

Runners - Dryads with Spite-Revenant heads, and the back-branches replaced with little metal base numbers from Greebo (didn't take a photo of them, they're just round number plates I painted same wood as the rest of the dryad)

Line-dryads

Treeman - Took so many photos to get his face in focus! Really pleased with the owl, especially as it was the piece I was most unsure about how to paint it.

Willow Rosebark

Eldril Sidewinder - Classic model, and kept in my standard blue & white scheme so I'll be able to use him with my future High Elf, Dark Elf (although they will probably be purple & red) and Elven Union (who I'll probably only get for completion's sake, I'm not keen)

Looking at the date I posted the unpainted picture, looks like I managed the whole team in exactly a month, as I finished the owl on the treeman and based him on 30th April! Leave came out OK but I didn't have enough red ones, as it's a bit late for finding leaves. Will definitely have to collect some in the autumn to fill my little leaf pot.

Ahhhhhhh, it's nice to finish something! Doing a few Rangers of Shadow Deep and Hellboy bits now, but got a few team options to work on next:
    • Halflings (Black Scorpion)
    • Humans (3rd editon plastics)
    • Orcs (3rd edition plastics)

The 3rd ed. models will need stripping, and I might buy a new plastic River Troll head to replace the hideous one on my old metal troll (if the new Snotling team have trolls on their roster, I might just buy a box of River Trolls and use them instead). The Humans will provide the thralls for Vampires, of which I have already got 4 and a star player - just waiting for a Bad Squiddo delivery and to be able to order-to-collect from GW.
    Which team do you think I should do next?