Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My Warhammer Quest.. Quest

My Warhammer Quest.. Quest

Hey guys been a bit of a forum lurker through its various rises and stumbles.
    i'm an avid dungeon crawler but one thing that sets me apart from all the other is..i have never owned nor played the original Warhammer quest (i think i played half a session in GW shop way back in the 90's but was of that age where i was drifting away from the hobby under lure of the 'much more preferred' as a teenager called 'The opposite sex'

anyways years later..ive played like every crawler i can think of. love heroquest. love advanced heroquest. even own silver tower (don't hate me) and also shadows over hammerhal (much better than silver tower)
    anyways to cut a long story short. in my house hold. we actually have loved playing Shadows Over Hammerhal. It appeared to have much more oomph in terms of it being similar to all i had read about regarding the original WHQ released in the 90's
    but we simply want MORE QUEST!
    so i decided to take a look around and see what i could find out.

to cut a long story short....I simply don't wish to or have the money to throw at the over inflated prices i see on Ebay. But i do feel the original WHQ could be the answer we are looking for
    so I figured it would be a much better way to spend my time for me to set up a little (probably not that little at all) project of proxy or recreation of the original WHQ
    i figure it will cost me over time..but thats easier to deal with than some massive lump sum up front.
    i also see some benefits here that if i do recreate many of the aspects (cards, tiles etc) then i have newer hi res and cleaner material that isn't 20 years old. some may find this slightly blasphemous, any new material i then add will be fully consistent.
    and i want to add everything i can find.
    i'll be running a mini blog of my quest through here as a checklist that i can share with you all. and hope you can all help me in return.

but starting off with the base game first

here's my plans
    BASE GAME
    Booklets
    having already obtained PDF version recreations of these (not sure who done them but massive credit to them)

• 32 Page Rule book - DONE
    • 16 page Adventure book - DONE
    • 192 page roleplay book - DONE
    • How to play sheet - DONE

Playing Cards
    I intend on creating all of these from scratch. infact i made the whole treasure deck as a tester mini project to see if it was worth progressing.. i am posting here. so that kind of tells you YES
    so i will recreate every card available from scratch. however right now I have no idea where to get them printed. so any custom card printing services in the UK would be much appreciated.

• 89 cards in total
    • 19 event cards - DONE
    • 23 Dungeon cards - DONE
    • 30 Treasure cards - DONE = Page 3
    • 15 Spell cards - DONE - awaiting print
    • 4 Warrior cards - not yet created.Going to use character sheets
    • 4 Battle level Cards - not going to bother
    • 4 Equipment cards- not going to bother. can utilise character sheets
    • Hero Tokens - colour coded to match dice = DONE awaiting print

Floorplans
    for now I plan on printing the ones available. i do have high res versions of the base game floorplans. but in future would like to create my own.
    heres 1 i made as a tester to see if i could do it..its not complete but i wanted to get a measure of how long it would take me.
    This actually took quiet a long time as ai was also building a full PSD file template to assist with any future tiles i may wish to make.
    it didnt turn out too mad. however i plan on using the scans to get me started.

• 23 floorplans
      • Corridor ​Corner
      • Corridor Passageway A x4
      • Corridor Passageway B x3
      • Corridor T-Junction x3
      • Corridor Stairway
      • Dungeon Room - Circle of Power
      • Dungeon Room - Dungeon Cell
      • Dungeon Room - Guard Room
      • Dungeon Room - Monsters Lair
      • Dungeon Room - Torture Chamber
      • Dungeon Room - Well of Doom
      • Objective Room - Fighting Pit
      • Objective Room - Firechasm
      • Objective Room - Fountain of Light
      • Objective Room - Idol Chamber
      • Objective Room - Tomb Chamber

48 Markers and counters
    again i may use scans here but would eventually like to create my own. i'm not entirely sure if my list is correct here so please feel free to correct me if i am wrong

• 1 Portcullis marker - DONE (page 2)
    • 1 Cave-in Marker - awaiting print
    • 3 Pit of despair markers - awaiting print
    • 6 webbed counters - created my own awaiting print.
    • 15 power tokens - created my own awaiting print.
    • 10 Luck tokens - created my own awaiting print.
    • Scenery markers

1. Steps
    2. Dead Skeleton 1
    3. Dead Skeleton 2
    4. Metal Hatch with Chaos Symbol on
    5. Wooden Door Hatch
    6. Wooden Door Hatch
    7. Weapons Rack
    8. Pit trap spikes
    9. Pit trap spikes
    10. Dagger/Scroll/Coins
    11. Closed Chest
    12. Closed Chest
    13. Coffin with green smoke coming out
    14. Coffin with green smoke coming out
    15. Open Chest with coins spilling out
    16. Well with rope coming out
    17. Barrel
    18. Green Slime

Miniatures (91)
    I already own a shed load of mini's and was one of the many reasons why i decided against picking up a copy on ebay..i simply can't see myself using many of the older mini's considering i have a lot of options already.

• 4 warrior models - classic Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf, Wizard combo. have lots to choose from but will go with these guys to start me off before i decide to kitbash anything more fitting.
    • 6 Orc Warriors - Proxy - GW orcs/orruks or whatever they are called these days
    • 6 Orc Archers - Proxy - older orc arrer boys ready to be painted - awaiting painting
    • 6 Goblin Spearmen - DONE
    • 6 Goblin Archers - goblin stikkas awaiting painting
    • 12 skaven - Proxy - DONE
    • 3 Minotaurs - Proxy - 3 different minotaurs awaiting basing and painting
    • 12 Giant Spiders - DONE
    • 12 Giant Bats - Proxy - GW Bat swarm awaiting basing and painting
    • 12 Giant Rats - DONE
    • 12 Snotlings - DONE
    • 10 Dungeon Doorways - DONE (page 2)

so when i put out what i already have..I've actually got a bit of a head start already from my other dungeon ventures.
    -the miniatures i'm not that far away from having all!
    -the biggest task for me is the cards, tiles and token i believe.
    -but I'm pretty handy with Photoshop and don't think there is anything here i couldn't create from scratch having already started this project with a tester of making the treasure deck. this was pretty easy to churn out. so the rest should be pretty easy.
    the rest ill figure out as i'm going. after all what good is a quest if you know what is around the corner already?
    if anyone has any handy advice that may assist me this would be greatly appreciated

as for other expansions and the existing White Dwarf content. i would also like to do these as well. but figure i should look at getting the base set up and running first...see if i like the game enough to continue.
    looking forwards to seeing where this one goes

Edit - after looking through what i need to print etc, it would be much more cost effective to have some of the expansion stuff done so that i can do bulk prints for cheaper costs so have decided to add the expansions to assist in maximising my overall costs.

TREASURE PACK 1

• 54 treasure cards

TREASURE PACK 2

• 54 treasure cards

TREASURE PACK 3

• 54 treasure cards

CATACOMBS OF TERROR
    Booklets

• Catacombs Of Terror - Adventure Book

Playing Cards
    • 4 Dungeon cards = Done
    • 18 Event cards = Done
    • 12 Treasure cards = DONE page 3
    • 3 Special cards

Floorplans

• 1 Objective Room (The Dread King's Throne Room)
    • 1 Dungeon Room (The Hall of Death)
    • 1 Corridor (Chasm of Despair)
    • 1 Corner (Flames of Khazla)

Markers and counters

• 6 Catacombs counters - what are these?

Miniatures
    • Dread King on his throne
    • Luthor the Hunchback
    • Gunther Laranscheld
    • 3 Tomb Guardians
    • The Grimoire Necris
    • 2 plastic Doorways

LAIR OF THE ORC LORD
    Booklets

• Lair of the Orc Lord - Adventure Book

Playing Cards

• 3 Dungeon cards = DONE
    • 21 event cards = DONE
    • 8 Treasure cards = DONE, Page 3
    • 4 special cards

Floorplans

• Objective room (gorgut's Lair)
    • Dungeon room (Shamans Den)
    • Corridor (Collapsed passage)

Markers and counters

• 1 Fallen Block counter
    • 3 netted counters
    • 2 Pit of Despair counters

Miniatures

• Orc Lord (Gorgut)
    • Orc Shaman (Skabnoze)
    • 3 Orc Big'Uns
    • Goblin Jester (Gubbinz)
    • Snotling (Bogoff)
    • Squid Hound (Growler)

White Dwarf addons

White Dwarf number 185

• Special room (The Gaol)
    • 1 Dungeon Card = DONE
    • Dungeon Gaol Key card.

White Dwarf number 187

• 4 Treasure cards - Done , page 3

White Dwarf number 189

• 2 Treasure cards = DONE
    • Treasure map card

White Dwarf number 190

• 8 Dark Secret cards

White Dwarf number 191

• 2 Treasure cards - Done , page 3

White Dwarf number 192

• Special room - Into the Dark
    • 1 Dungeon Card =DONE

White Dwarf number 193

• 4 Event Cards = DONE

White Dwarf number 195

• Objective room (Quirriks laboratory)
    • dungeon card = DONE
    • 3 Event Cards = DONE

White Dwarf number 197

• 4 Event Cards = DONE

White Dwarf number 201

• 1 Event Card = DONE

White Dwarf number 204

• Special room - Sewer
    • Dungeon Card = DONE
    • 1 Event Card = DONE

Edited to have a red/amber/green
    colour scheme to help me track what i need to do.
    RED = nothing done/need to find out more.
    AMBER = made a start somewhere or requiring completion.
    GREEN = 100% completed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wq2-tet-logo-cropped_orig.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	234961  
    Last edited by &mpersand; 20-08-2019 at 09:06.

Re: My Warhammer Quest.. Quest

Hello &mpersand very nice to see you here and starting your journey with Warhammer Quest. I have found one or two card printing companies but where asking for 3 per card so i'm taking to printing them myself and putting them in clear sleeves. i have got pdf for the deathblow mags if you like, althou ones in another language. it looks like you have a head start with everything, when you print the board tiles off i recommend laser cut mdf of 2m board but that's just me my friend simon could sort that out if you ca't find another option, i'm panning to remake all the original tiles but with 3d resin tiles again that's just my peference. For making cards go on google and type "my messed up mind warhammer quest" and a guy years ago made a page of make your own cards with the original cards and you can get the card back grounds blank versions. Hope this helps and can't wait to see your journey.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hello &mpersand very nice to see you here and starting your journey with Warhammer Quest. I have found one or two card printing companies but where asking for 3 per card so i'm taking to printing them myself and putting them in clear sleeves. i have got pdf for the deathblow mags if you like, althou ones in another language. it looks like you have a head start with everything, when you print the board tiles off i recommend laser cut mdf of 2m board but that's just me my friend simon could sort that out if you ca't find another option, i'm panning to remake all the original tiles but with 3d resin tiles again that's just my peference. For making cards go on google and type "my messed up mind warhammer quest" and a guy years ago made a page of make your own cards with the original cards and you can get the card back grounds blank versions. Hope this helps and can't wait to see your journey.

Richard
    Thank you. thats very kind of you to offer up the advice and potential assistance..

Regarding 3 per card? that's crazy. are they laminated with the tears of virgin mermaids or something? haha
    i have been looking at printer studio. however the UK website seems broken so i can currently awaiting a response from an email i sent to them about alternatives.

for cards though. i have already created some which have come out pretty well.
    so first up i have completed treasure cards. My first post was void of any images because of the image limit per post

so thats all 30 treasure cards created.

I decided to go with my own backs to these cards as a means of refreshing what already existed. sort of make them my own. but the designs of the actual card fronts i have kept pretty consistent with the original designs. just a newer fresher hi res approach

I have also wrapped up the event cards

again I've gone with a new back whilst keeping a familiar approach to the card front. but that's all 19 done from the base game.

and last night i also finished up the 23 dungeon cards

as for the floorplans. i may well make them in 3d at some point. i've seen some fantastic ones around the internet, but for me storage is also important.
    2mm MDF doesnt seem like a bad option.
    In the past i have tried plasticard at 0.75mm thickness (on AHQ tiles) but even that warped after glueing. MDF seems like a decent option as the grain will have something to bond to. would be weighty enough to not slip and slide around the table. and 2mm thickness i would imagine wouldnt be getting warped out of shape once glued.

I will most likely keep my first post as a means of tracking how i manage/succeed or even fail..but so far i'm off to a good start i think.
    hope you all enjoy and again thank you for the advice.
    Last edited by &mpersand; 31-03-2018 at 20:09.

Quote Originally Posted by &mpersand View Post
    Thank you. thats very kind of you to offer up the advice and potential assistance..

Regarding 3 per card? that's crazy. are they laminated with the tears of virgin mermaids or something? haha
    i have been looking at printer studio. however the UK website seems broken so i can currently awaiting a response from an email i sent to them about alternatives.

as for the floorplans. i may well make them in 3d at some point. i've seen some fantastic ones around the internet, but for me storage is also important.
    2mm MDF doesnt seem like a bad option.
    MDF seems like a decent option as the grain will have something to bond to. would be weighty enough to not slip and slide around the table. and 2mm thickness i would imagine wouldnt be getting warped out of shape once glued.
    Well the card company was one that does prints playing cards but wasn't happy doing each individual rathers mass amounts of same prints which wouldn't work.
    Simon has a Company website https://blotz.co.uk/ email him mention me i'm sure he can do the shapes you need for quest tiles and a good price.

none of your pics are coming up? what size you doing or are you doing group photos? oh and printer studio has been down awhile well was four years ago i think when they update their site it goes down while they do it. hope that helps

Hmm images show fine for me.
    i got a response from printer studio half in chinese half english today saying that the UK site is no longer supported.
    and that i should use the US site.
    so ive made an account. and set up a test with the 30 treasure cards...it will cost me about 7.85 + 5.99 P&P to get them printed on Bridge sized cards.
    thats actually pretty good providing that customs dont sting me. to maximise my costs i may well do some of the extra treasure cards to flesh it out to a 54 pack deck.
    and will more than likely get all the decks printed at once.

as for my images (lifeblood on any forum)
    they are 700x700 pixels and linked direct from my google plus account. i can see them clearly here. right in front of me.
    i just took a picture and put it on gyazo to show LINK

done some tweaking. would be handy if anyone could let me know if they can now see the images?
    thanks

done some tweaking. would be handy if anyone could let me know if they can now see the images?
    thanks
    we now see you avatar barbarian image and first image warhammer quest? but nothing on the other posts

appreciated for the feedback. appears to maybe be some permissions issues with my images that i need to figure out.
    i've poked and prodded to see if they show again...3rd times a charm huh?

turns out there is an issue with posting direct links from google photos.

so heres a little tester direct to see if my work around actually works.

and another at resizing.

would be handy if anyone can let me know if these are viewable?
    thanks in advance.
    Last edited by &mpersand; 31-03-2018 at 20:54.

yes you can really nice work with cards we think alike with the card game image for events and sweet dungeon image for card background very nice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	card backdrops.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	234977

phew finally i am up and running!
    yeh i decided against redrawing the original artwork and went for something a little more - inspiring..and of course ready made
    still have a long way to go. but will be painting up some of my nearly finished figs over the next few weeks..thats the good stuff after all

I will be painting up some of my nearly finished figs over the next few weeks..thats the good stuff after all
    true true looking forward to seeing fresh blood on this forum

Ah I know your blog and been going through it many times its brilliant one off the best heroquest blogs out there. I guess I'm the only one who actually like silver tower a lot it's very hard for to get my playing got together I'm semi busy with painting up shadows over hammerhall and the chaos adversary cards. I had 2.5 levels off the original painted but... it's such a bitch setting it up and it takes forever we literally have had 12 hour games �� ofc with lots off beers food a million smoking breaks cigarette ones aren't so bad but some of my friends want a bigger smoking breaks sometimes and then its always looking where we had been ect ect so the faster simpler play of silver tower is very welcoming to me. Also I'm the only one in our gaming grp with the passion of building and painting not epic stuff like your blog but good enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Easygrin View Post
    Ah I know your blog and been going through it many times its brilliant one off the best heroquest blogs out there. I guess I'm the only one who actually like silver tower a lot it's very hard for to get my playing got together I'm semi busy with painting up shadows over hammerhall and the chaos adversary cards. I had 2.5 levels off the original painted but... it's such a bitch setting it up and it takes forever we literally have had 12 hour games �� ofc with lots off beers food a million smoking breaks cigarette ones aren't so bad but some of my friends want a bigger smoking breaks sometimes and then its always looking where we had been ect ect so the faster simpler play of silver tower is very welcoming to me. Also I'm the only one in our gaming grp with the passion of building and painting not epic stuff like your blog but good enough for me
    thanks very much glad you have enjoyed my blog.

hehe not sure i go epic. i'm more about just having a nice looking tabletop to play on. i'm actually quite a practical gamer. hence my avoidance of 3D tiles this turn around.

we enjoyed silver tower. it just didnt have any replay-ability for us. it felt all to samey. with hammerhall the narrative adds a stronger element for immersion. we tend to play in segments up until we visit the city. then pack away..so if we want to wrap up early..we leave and come back later. that works for us.. having 2/3 hour sessions.
    what doesnt work enough...
    is there isnt enough of it!!
    which is why i'm partaking in this particular quest.

12 hour sessions? that's a lot of beer thrown in i bet? haha

and ive taken the next step on this particular quest and now recreated the Spell cards

hopefully ive fixed my little hiccup from previous posts and now people can clearly see my images?
    Last edited by &mpersand; 03-04-2018 at 16:37.

hopefully ive fixed my little hiccup from previous posts and now people can clearly see my images?
    nope sorry not on last post

hopefully fixed now...i'll get there eventually

is this one viewable? (sorry another test)

you can see them, i like the white glow around the winds of magic symbol but not sure about the bottom boxes for green blue etc at least with your new background design. maybe duplicate the title with the lines above and below the card name maybe not a perfect rectangle with a black line border. it seems out of place. really like the idea of the card background but the bottom seems out of place imo hope that helps

yeh this picture posting is pretty frustrating at the moment. i'm sure i'll nail it soon enough.
    as for the designs. well i kept them as close to the original as possible. if i were to redesign them both the title (top bar) and the spell type (bottom bar) i would of redesigned with a scroll type border. that kept it themed within the whole parchment look of the background.
    however. i'm unsure if the whole colour coding plays a big element in it? being unsure. i kept it intouch with the original design.

Seems fine to me but I'm not all skilled with making cards I have a friend who (is suppose to) makes them for me wanna get into that some day but got atm too little time to paint even. Richard is my go to expert concerning these kinda things rules designs
    ECT

as for the designs. well i kept them as close to the original as possible. if i were to redesign them both the title (top bar) and the spell type (bottom bar) i would of redesigned with a scroll type border. that kept it themed within the whole parchment look of the background.
    however. i'm unsure if the whole colour coding plays a big element in it? being unsure. i kept it intouch with the original design.
    I'm not having a go, and the colour is not a big element but is colour coding is for quick ref to what type of spell it is. The background design looks really nice if you look at most of my blog pages from the beginning you see i have use a darker version to the now lighter version for my cards. the design you done looks right with original text i just think the bottom bit doesn't fit right maybe take the black line border away from it? the originals didn't have a black line as the card had a black border concentrating the eye to look into the card rather than the whole card. honestly the card is great it stood out to me and thought i mention it the originals below so try it and see with the black line around the bottom solid colour remove see what you think, at the end of the day we all play the same game and interp it to how we play our games. if we all did the same thing there be no forum but rinse and repeat and no inspiration. the game is there and still stands as one of the best dungeon crawl games out there i gurantee now one has the same game twice these days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4724_zps2b7a303c.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	234992  

ahh yeh i see what you mean now. should of just said "remove the black outline!" hehe
    i did give it a try when i was creating. didnt like how it looked. i wanted the elements to be crisper and pop out more. hence the black line around them. i appreciate the comments though didnt think you were having a go at all.

i do have a few questions i am hoping people can chime in with regarding a few other elements.

• 4 Warrior cards - not yet created.

Are these even needed? i see a lot of resources around the internet with character sheets instead. is this a preferred method over the 'hero card' element? if so can anyone recommend a good character sheet?

• 4 Battle level Cards - not yet created.

again all of this info appears to be in the manuals. is it needed to have a card with 5 battle levels on it?

• 4 Equipment cards- not yet created.

Are these even needed? just seems like useless chits if you use a character sheet. surely it would just be recorded on there?

• Hero Tokens - not yet created.

I dont wish to recreate these in the traditional format. the original WHQ being very male orientated i wanted to leave this open to interpretation. maybe a symbol or something along those lines to represent the type as opposed to a solid picture of 1 character.
    this then leaves things open for using different miniatures and different genders (im so 2018 right now!!) so any recommendations?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast