Thread: Tale of Boardgame Painters 2018-2019 Progress Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tale of Boardgame Painters 2018-2019 Progress Thread

April has already rolled around this year (I swear Christmas was only a week ago...) which means it is time for everyone's first completed models! There are only a handful of us this time around so I'm going to keep the entire Tale inside a single thread instead of monthly posts (I'll put links to where each month starts in this post).

Sign-up List:
    Arhalien: Zombicide/Aristeia (model-a-month)
    DarthSte: Shadespire (model-a-month)
    DarthSte: Necromunda (1+ models a month)
    Doi: Kingdom Death: Monster (1+ models a month)
    Doi: Dark Souls (model-a-month)
    Naryzhud: Mice and Mystics
    silverstu: Necromunda
    Solun Decius: Blood Rage

I'm hoping to have my photos up tomorrow.

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

Re: Tale of Boardgame Painters 2018-2019 Progress Thread

Well, I managed to get my painting for this month based yesterday so I have managed to finish what I planned to!

Arhalien's Month 1

This month I've painted a character for Zombicide - The Black Plague. The model in question is from the Jovem Nerd guest pack, which has 4 new playable characters for the game. Unfortunately this model was a bit bent, hence why he's leaning backwards quite noticeably...

I have to admit that I painted a lot of this model last year, however most of my month was taken up painting Dropfleet Commander, and I only put brush to model on this mini a couple of days ago. Overall, I'm happy with the result and it's a nice change of pace from painting space ships.

And a quick WiP shot for next month (from the Marc Simonetti guest pack):

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else has come up with for this month

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Doc Grotsnik View Post
    14. Certain FAQ questions will be answered with the stock company answer of 'stop being such a knob'
    Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Arhalien: Consider yourself lucky I'm fresh out of rocks and sharp, pointy sticks
    My Fantasy Log//The Blog of Many Things

Quote Originally Posted by Arhalien View Post
    I have to admit that I painted a lot of this model last year
    I'll allow it .

For my Dark Souls pledge I painted up a Titanite Demon. I tried to replicate the weird reflective sheen they have in the video game but needed to make it work in the "physical world". To this end the whole model was painted silver and then shaded with a black/blue wash mix, drybrushed back up with silver, and then I washed "top" surfaces with yellow and "bottom" surfaces in black/blue, before a final silver highlight again. I think it works quite well in the flesh but it is a hard effect to translate to a still photo. Base is ~80-85mm for reference. I haven't decided how to base my Dark Souls stuff yet as the sculpted cross on the base is required for game play, and the models come pre-attached to their base in a way that would make removing them difficult.

For Kingdom Death I painted up The Watcher. This guy was the final boss, but with the new update he is the penultimate one instead. I've always struggled with getting black cloth to not look either a) grey with too much highlighting, or b) not cloth because I only edge highlighted, so I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. The faces on the scarf could have turned out better, but I wasn't up to painting ~20 not so detailed faces up to a better standard. ~50mm base for reference. SPOILERS for the game:

"Long ago, ravenous beasts searched the darkness, using their keen senses to find their prey. In the distance, they saw a blooming pillar of light surrounded by tasty morsels bustling in their tiny industry.

Licking their chops, they approached, but the beasts halted mid-step. The wind carried a foul, menacing presence. Surely the busy creatures were harmless. Yet, the menacing warning persisted, felt in their very bones. Instinctively, the beasts turned away, seeking their meals elsewhere."

For next month I'll be painted up a Winged Knight for Dark Souls (WIP below) and the Gold Smoke Knight for Kingdom Death.

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

I'll allow it .
    You truly are a generous overlord! (I may have overcompensated this month and have finished my Zombicide model already...)

While I've never got far enough with Dark Souls to comment on the accuracy, that model does look really cool! The Watcher is really nice too - the cloak has definitely worked.

14. Certain FAQ questions will be answered with the stock company answer of 'stop being such a knob'
    Arhalien: Consider yourself lucky I'm fresh out of rocks and sharp, pointy sticks

Nice work from from both of you!
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

Thank you!

So how is everyone faring for this month? I've had a busy few weeks so until today I'd managed nothing but some (terrible) freehand heraldry on my Winged Knight's tabard, paint his weapon shaft black, and paint his "wings". I hadn't even started the Gold Smoke Knight for my Kingdom Death pledge yet, so I took the only free day I have on my calendar for the next two months and painted a pile of dung instead .

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

Thank you!

So how is everyone faring for this month? I've had a busy few weeks so until today I'd managed nothing but some (terrible) freehand heraldry on my Winged Knight's tabard, paint his weapon shaft black, and paint his "wings". I hadn't even started the Gold Smoke Knight for my Kingdom Death pledge yet, so I took the only free day I have on my calendar for the next two months and painted a pile of dung instead .

Doi
    I'm sure it was a very well painted pile of dung though....

That sounds rough. Good luck getting finished - you can do it!

With only one model to do I managed to get it painted in a flurry of activity at the start of this month, so I've not really thought about this much this month. I'll try to remember to take photos....

I'm sure it was a very well painted pile of dung though....
    It has a face and everything!

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

For my Dark Souls pledge I painted up a Winged Knight. The armour looks very same-y in the pictures but not so much in real life. Please ignore my terrible freehand .

For my Kingdom Death pledge I had originally planned to do the Gold Smoke Knight, but I ran short on time so I knocked up the resin dung ball that goes with the Dung Beetle Knight. I'm actually rather pleased with this since it took maybe an hour and a half of brush-on-model time (not including drying times).

Not sure if I'm going to have time to paint anything up this month, but if I do it will be all gold. Next up for Dark Souls are Ornstein and Smough, and for Kingdom Death it is back to the Gold Smoke Knight.

What has everyone else gotten up to?

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

For my month 2 I have painted another guest character for Zombicide: Black Plague. Really happy with how this has turned out - I've used the (usually annoying) habit of Vallejo Game Colour black to dry glossy to try and make the armor pop.

Great work on both those models Doi! There's really nice texture to the armour on the winged knight, and the freehand looks good to me. Also that's not quite what I was expecting when I heard dung-pile - it looks like it's come straight out of Rock of Ages!

Good luck with the coming month

Also that's not quite what I was expecting when I heard
    There is a lot of that in Kingdom Death...

The black armour of yours has come up really nice. It pops without looking, well, "glossed". Kind of like a satin finish. Works well!

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

In case it wasn't obvious at this point, I wasn't able to get anything painted for month 3. Not for a lack of painting - I managed to get plenty of that done - I just focussed on other projects. It's looking like this month may well be the same as I'm currently prioritising Infinity and Dropfleet Commander, although I may find time to sneak in a single Zombicide hero.

How is everyone else getting on?

Well I've been working 90 hour weeks for the past two months (hence no painting!), and tomorrow I hop on a plan to the UK for three weeks, so nothing getting done for June either...

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

It seems "The Era of the Group Project Log" has come to an end here on Warseer.
    I actually feel a little pride that the ToBGP is the most recently edited "Tale of..." thread. We outlasted the other bigger ones, no small thanks to Doi and others who kept it going after our initial few seasons when these were all popular and going strong.

@Arhalien: Those really are some neat paint jobs. I hope you have made some progress on your Zombicide: Black Plague even though it hasn't been posted here.
    @Doi: Those are great minis and strong colors. Sadly photobucket has ruined them with a watermark. Does their free service do this after a certain amount of time, or so you always have to link to their website to see the actual image?
    Excellent lighting effect in the eye of the watcher!

So I'm just going to post as if no time has passed and it's business as usual.

Here is the Blood Rage Wolf Clan finished:

The finished Frost Giant (and the Soldier of Hel for base comparison):

That's the last monster figure in the Blood Rage set, so here are 3rd Age Monsters:

Finally here are the last Blood Rage minis from the base set, the Serpent Clan (plus some minis from Hate):

After those there is still the Ram clan (sans leader which I painted first) to finish off the whole 5 player set, but then I'll be done.
    I hope I can round off this year by finishing Blood Rage. Then next January we might start a "Tale of Boardgame Painters Eternal" thread and just leave it there to (hopefully) accumulate through years to come
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff