Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Last Stand At Glazer's Creek - A Critical Analysis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Last Stand At Glazer's Creek - A Critical Analysis

Last Stand At Glazer’s Creek – Past Meets Present

’The past 40 years of White Dwarf are an incredible triumph and provide a mass of wonderful examples of what’s great and why, but you can always do it better. Nostalgia’s not what it used to be, as the old joke goes, and looking back you can see that with White Dwarf. Fond as we all might be of our own favourites, the real triumphs aren’t in the past, they’re where we are now: the Ultimate Warhammer Magazine.’
    White Dwarf May 2017

----------

The year is 1998. The UK hosts the European song contest. Google is founded. The world learns about what Clinton and Lewinsky were doing in the oval office. ‘Last Stand at Glazer’s Creek’ is published in White Dwarf 222.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222 cover.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	235218
    And a legend is born

So renowned did this battle report become that it is regularly cited as being amongst the best battle reports of all time (even if it is regularly mis-quoted or mis-titled as the ‘Battle of Ork’s Drift’ (which was an older Fantasy report)), and last year was confirmed as getting a ‘recreation’.

Name:	coming soon.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	235219
    Facebook announcement, 08/06/2017

For years I’ve passed comment on the sad decline of White Dwarf as time has gone on - through multiple re-launches, spin-offs, and alternating formats. Battle reports have been at the forefront of this decline in quality. While modern reports can be compared generally to those of the past, opportunities for [near-] direct like-for-like comparisons are few and far between; but ‘Glazer’s Creek II’ provides just such an opportunity.

This also provides an opportunity to test the claim presented above – that nostalgia’s not what it used to be. Is the commonly held view of the original Glazer’s Creek report nothing more than rose-tinted sentimentality? Are modern reports in fact superior? Have my complaints about modern era battle reports compared to their predecessors been without foundation?

----------

At the time of writing, it is mid April 2018. I intend to compare the original ‘Last Stand at Glazer’s Creek’ to the updated version. The reason I’m starting this now is that I want to look back at issue #222 before the updated version is released and my opinion of the original may be coloured by the present.

Part 1: Creaky Glazer

The story actually starts a year earlier at Games Day 1997 with the mega display ‘Massacre at Big Toof River’. An Imperial force consisting of the 135th Tallarn and Praetorian XXIV regiments attack an Ork force led by Warlord Bullgarg on the world of Montar VII. The humans underestimate the orks and are ambushed and wiped out.

Name:	wd 218.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	235220
    ‘Massacre at Big Toof River’ in White Dwarf 218 (NZ), pg.64

Unfortunately the bulk of the background for the display and the battle was only ever published in the programme for Games Day, and the White Dwarf article gave little in the way of context.

The Praetorian XXIV – essentially late 19th century colonial British in spaaace! made from Mordians with specially sculpted pith helmets – proved so popular that Games Workshop released them for sale as a limited edition box set, and later as part of the permanent Imperial Guard line.

Perhaps it was inevitable that with space Victorians, somebody would eventually want to refight the Battle of Rouke’s Drift - most well known due to the 1964 film Zulu - in 40k.

Name:	zulu 1964.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	235221
    I’ve always said that what 40K needs is more singing Welshmen

----------

The stats:
    Page count: 17
    Number of pictures: 13 (~6 pages worth)
    Number of Maps: 10
    Participants: Adrian Wood (Orks), Paul Sawyer (Praetorians), Jervis Johnson (scenario creator (?))

At seventeen pages the article is distinctly average with regards to length compared to other battle reports - which are generally 15-18 pages.

It begins with a page-long introduction which outlines the background of the battle. 3rd platoon have lent their Chimeras to the attack on Big Toof River, and so have been left to defend the XXIV’s supplies and keep various civilians who have joined the campaign out of trouble at Glazer’s Creek, five miles from the main battlefield. The XXIV are routed at Big Toof River and forced to flee away from 3rd platoon’s position. Then the Orks attack.

Name:	Into image.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	235222
    He’s even dressed in the same colours as his troops

The next two pages outline the rules for the scenario being used. The Ork army is made up of a number of assaults (3 to 5) which consist of randomly generated Orks. The final Ork assault gets additional reinforcements based upon the total number of assaults the Ork player elects to launch.Once the total number of Orks in a given wave is reduced to below 30, the Orks retreat.
    Praetorians removed as casualties are either dead, recover in time for the next assault, or are wounded and go to the hospital, from whence there is a chance that they can be roused to fight with reduced stats if the Orks get within 4” of the building.
    The Orks win if they can wipe out the Preatorians. The Preatorians win if they can avoid being wiped out.

The Orks have -1BS and +1WS – the genesis of the modern Ork! – to encourage them to charge at the defenders and not to shoot at them.
    Mention is made that the battle being reported is actually the third time the scenario was fought. In the first game, the Orks shot the Praetorians to pieces necessitating the change in stats. In the second game the Preatorians were buffed (given the Dead Eye Shot veteran ability), but this meant that they effortlessly gunned the Orks down.

The scenario might be somewhat impractical, given the need for a relatively large range of Ork models to be available. However the basic infantry in each assault can be made up of the contents of the 2nd edition started box, and there is a note from Jervis saying to substitute or proxy models/units if necessary.

The next two pages have a large picture of the Praetorian army (which is the contents of the limited edition box set, minus the Commissar) and the civilian hangers-on (represented by Ratskins, Frateris Militia, a Digga truck, and an assortment of other models).
    There are rules for what the civilians do, and a key for which models are which on the maps.
    The farm truck is conspicuous by its absence from the army photo.
    Paul says that his plan is to trust in Overwatch.

The following two pages are mostly a large picture of the Ork army (Wood’s own Waaagh! Grisnak)
    Adrian elects to launch four assaults on the farm.

The bulk of the report proper consists of nine and a half pages.
    Each Ork assault is split into an introduction - in which Wood and Sawyer each spend a paragraph or two outlining their thoughts on how the battle is going, what the Ork forces consist of this time etc. – a narrative description of what happens during the assault told in the form of a story, rather than turn-by-turn events or details of dice rolls – and then a short summary by each player on the assault.

Each assault’s text block is accompanied by pictures of the game in progress (usually an overall shot of the farm and a close up of a particular piece of the action, such as Hooky sniping from the water tower, or Private Simpson breaking ranks to burn the Orks with his flamer.
    While the overall and detail shots of the game have an orange background set up behind the models - I assume that these are in fact staged shots taken after the fact in order to look pretty - those which feature the players (often goofing around) feature a background which includes a green-flocked gaming board, a Gorkamorka box, and a selection of miscellaneous random junk gaming paraphernalia. Personally, I rather like the ‘realistic’ backgrounds in these pictures.

Assaults 1 to 3 each have two accompanying maps, while assault 4 has four maps.

Name:	Map!.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	235223
    Oh yeah, show me that cartography, baby!

While they don’t cover all of the turns in each assault, just by looking at the maps spread throughout the report the reader gets a decent idea of how the battle is progressing, with the Orks getting progressively closer to the centre of the Praetorian positions with each assault, and the number of defenders steadily decreasing as the battle goes on.

Name:	typical page.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	235224
    A typical page layout

I’d never noticed it when reading the report on previous occasions, but Sawyer’s shirt conspicuously changes colour between pictures of the game in progress.

Name:	shirt change.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	235225
    J’accuse!

I suspect that either some of the pictures are from the first two times the scenario was played out; or that Sawyer split his dinner down himself.

There also appears to be a rules error in the first assault – the scenario rules say that each assault should include a Warboss in addition to the randomised units, but the maps and images of the 1st assault don’t show one present.

The report is concluded with a quarter page from each player in which they give some brief thoughts on the game and how they might have done better (ironically, for the Orks, shoot more), and give some extra details of the test games they played and how the scenario could be further modified by the reader.

----------

But that’s not all! The mail order section at the back of the issue features army deals for the defenders of Glazer’s Creek (with a Commissar and some Praetorian casualty models in place of the farm truck) and an Ork army which you can buy in different sections (the mobs and the leaders). Each deal gets you free stuff/a saving over buying the contents individually.

Name:	deals deals deals!.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	235226
    I want it!

----------

So is ‘Last Stand at Glazer’s Creek’ actually that good?
    Personally, I’d say yes. Yes it is.

A lot is covered in the space allocated to the battle report, with nothing which feels like wasted space or filler. The narrative flows well and is easy to follow, the scenario appears to work well, and the maps and photographs make the progress of the game easy to follow.
    The battle is also very clearly inspired by Zulu, with the battlefield – although relatively small and simple – and scenario doing a fine job of evoking the feel of the source material.

I would have liked to see a bit more background material, however. With an extra page, for example, a more detailed account of the events of Big Toof River, which serve as the Isandlwana to Glazer’s Creek’s Rouke’s Drift could have been included in the introduction (stick some pictures of the mega display in there as well). As I noted above, the account of the battle was only included in the ’97 Games Day programme meaning that relatively few people will have had access to it (an given that I’m working from the Australia/New Zealand issue, presumably none of the original readers would have!) Arguably this should have been included in issue 218, but it wasn’t, and so would fit well here.
    I’d also have liked to have had a couple of background paragraphs scattered throughout the report as pure background text as opposed to the narrative of the game – one at the start where the Praetorians realise that the dust cloud on the horizon is Orks and not the rest of their regiment returning, one of guardsmen defending the barricades from the green menace, and one at the end with the survivors on parade, for example. Throw in a bunch [more] of references to the movie for good measure.

I don’t think that any lauding of ‘Last Stand at Glazer’s Creek’ can be put down to nostalgia or rose-tinted glasses. The report is legitimately good/excellent.
    And not only is it good in and of itself, but it is literally iconic – to the point where it’s getting remade. That in itself indicates that it must have been a quality article to begin with.

----------

In Part 2 I’ll do the same exercise for the updated version of the report and see what conclusions can be drawn from a comparison of the two.
    I presume that it will be published in June’s issue of White Dwarf – marking the 20th anniversary of the original...
    Last edited by Lord Damocles; 18-04-2018 at 07:10. Reason: Spelling

Re: Last Stand At Glazer's Creek - A Critical Analysis

I was a redshirt at the time of big tooth river, and all the stores had to paint stuff for the games day display. I painted a couple of dead rough riders (conversions with plastic skeleton bits to simulate multimelta hits!).

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Even though I never played 40K I did usually read the 40K battle reports in the White Dwarfs I bought.
    Is there an equally legendary Fantasy equivalent to this particular one?
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

I think what was true about White Dwarf in the 90s was also true about GW in that era: it was about experimentation and innovation rather than being an advertising circular.

The games were a work in progress back then, and though GW often put out crappy and unbalanced rules, White Dwarf offered a forum for discussion and corrections.

One thing I noticed about the battle reports of that era: the new models almost always win. It make sense, of course. If you're selling a new army, you want to showcase how they can win, right?

Same with new vehicles or units. Build a battle around them and demonstrate how they can be critical at the decisive moment.

It is funny about Sawyer's shirt, but they were somewhat more honest back then, admitting that they played multiple sessions and used the best one for the report - and also posed the photos independent of the game so the lighting was better.

(Wasn't he nicknamed "fat bloke"? Could GW even print something like that in today's UK?)

Now, as to that specific article...

I actually went out and bought a Praetorian army when they came out. I painted them to look like Boer War regulars and reinforced them by buying Boer War historical lancers to act as my Rough Riders. It looked great! It also cost a small fortune, but at the time I'd just landed my first real job and I relished splurging on a hobby.

I've long since sold them off, but I have fond memories of painting and using them. I wonder if the new owner still uses them, or if they've been sold yet again?

In any event, I do enjoy the old White Dwarfs from that era and have been collecting them as part of my drive to have the ultimate collection of all things 2nd ed. 40k.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try the revised and expanded Conqueror: Fields of Victory!

Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wish someone came up with a decent story about how a decadent galactic commonwealth descended into chaos and civil war? Look no further.
    A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    Even though I never played 40K I did usually read the 40K battle reports in the White Dwarfs I bought.
    The only one that really pops up in my mind as coming close to legendary was the "Battle of the Beards" batrep where they had Tuomas Pirrinen (SP?!?!?!) playing against some guy where the theme was taking the most broken cheesy (beardy) list possible. That was a 5th Ed. batrep so it had the more... interesting magic items of the time. One of the locals in my area commented on how tame their "beardy" lists were, and how he could surpass it easily. Still, it's probably the most memorable batrep to come to mind, and that had more to do with the Bacon and Lard Butties subplot than anything. I think the issue was that they didn't throw as much effort into the narrative of the WFB batreps, whereas the 40K ones were smeared with it. I guess there was a Dwarfs vs. Empire batrep that had a bit of flavor to the storyline, but nothing really memorable about the gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrogamer View Post
    I think the issue was that they didn't throw as much effort into the narrative of the WFB batreps, whereas the 40K ones were smeared with it. I guess there was a Dwarfs vs. Empire batrep that had a bit of flavor to the storyline, but nothing really memorable about the gameplay.
    That's true... The Fantasy battle report with the strongest narrative which I've read was the one that came printed in the 5th edition Orcs & Goblins armybook. Bill King's Dwarfs versus Jervis Johnson's greenskins.

That being said, I did enjoy the early 6th edition battle reports. Some flavour was included in the form of quotes by the troops as they fought the battle.
    I remember a battle report of an Empire army fighting of greenskins commanded by Grimgor Ironhide.
    When a unit of Orc boys failed its terror test against a griffon-riding elector count: "Run fer it ladz! It's a flying lion-bird thing!"
    When the Goblin Fanatics hit: "What in Sigmar's name is going on down there?" said by the same Elector who was flying around near the unit at the time.

That being said, I did enjoy the early 6th edition battle reports. Some flavour was included in the form of quotes by the troops as they fought the battle.
    Part of that comes from how closely the rules of the game reflect reality. If the system is intuitive and keeps abstraction to a minimum, it's a lot easier to create a story about what's happening on the tabletop.

The more the mechanics work against this, the harder it gets. By that I mean: if you know tactics but don't know the rules of the game, some of the things that happen during game play won't make sense to you.

The classic example of this is cover and armor during the days of AP and cover saves. Back during the time I still played 3rd, I found it impossible to recruit players among my wargaming friends because they couldn't accept the system. People who served in the military or knew about it were particularly annoyed.

"Why doesn't that guy get a save for his armor and the cover?"

"Because you only get one."

"But they both provide protection. He's hiding behind a stone wall and wearing heavy armor."

"Right, but if you get a save for both, they become really hard to hit."

"But that's the whole point of cover."

"That's not how it works."

"This game makes no sense."

In time, I came to agree.

The other thing about the old reports was that they emphasized storytelling rather than tournament play. Even the "who can build the beardiest army" articles were actually making fun of the WAAC mentality by showing how completely stilly min-maxed armies would look.

This is why I've decided to basically stick to the 90s era of GW products. It was more open, more fun and had more creativity.
    Last edited by Commissar von Toussaint; 13-05-2018 at 12:47.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try the revised and expanded Conqueror: Fields of Victory!

Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wish someone came up with a decent story about how a decadent galactic commonwealth descended into chaos and civil war? Look no further.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar von Toussaint View Post
    The classic example of this is cover and armor during the days of AP and cover saves. Back during the time I still played 3rd, I found it impossible to recruit players among my wargaming friends because they couldn't accept the system. People who served in the military or knew about it were particularly annoyed.

"Why doesn't that guy get a save for his armor and the cover?"

"Because you only get one."

"But they both provide protection. He's hiding behind a stone wall and wearing heavy armor."

"Right, but if you get a save for both, they become really hard to hit."

"But that's the whole point of cover."

"That's not how it works."

"This game makes no sense."

In time, I came to agree.
    And that's why you should have tried to get them into WFB, where to hit modifiers for shooting combined flawlessly with armour saves

There was a massive fantasy battle called the Gathering of Might, with (IIRC) Empire, Dwarfs and Wood Elves facing off against Chaos Dwarfs and Greenskins. It was a multiplayer game with three generals on each side. This was back in 4th edition days. They had at least one follow on battle too, to see what happened after the Chaos Dwarf victory, with the Empire trying to stop the bad stunties escaping with all their slaves and loot.
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

Chapter Master

For me the battle report that got me hooked was the Epic one in WD 136 - clear maps, moves, army rationales and no army of the month to push!

Chapter Master

I think the shots would whine because you are looking at 37 las shots from a bare bones squad at rapid fire range under orders. That's 62 dice rolls for 4 dead Orks.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Chris View Post
    I think the shots would whine because you are looking at 37 las shots from a bare bones squad at rapid fire range under orders. That's 62 dice rolls for 4 dead Orks.
    Ah, so the whining was coming from the players who were getting carpal tunnel from throwing all those dice.

Got it.

But don't the Brits say "whinging" instead of "whining?" It's all so confusing.

Chapter Master

Whinging is a manly activity backed up with anecdotal evidence, whining a childish one because they don't have enough dice.

Veteran Sergeant

So explain "armour, colour, et al." vs. "armor, color, et al."

I'd love it if they would revisit battle reports like this more often. Find the truly interesting ones, or maybe ones that were so much a product of their edition that redoing it showcases the differences in editions. I can dream I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrogamer View Post
    So explain "armour, colour, et al." vs. "armor, color, et al."
    You know, I'm too lazy to look it up but I think it has something to do with all the German who emigrated to the American colonies.

And yes, I'm being serious. German words are seriously easy to pronounce once you know the rules and those superfluous "u"s probably drove the Germans nuts, so they had them taken out. Maybe I'll do a riff on this elsewhere...

I'd love it if they would revisit battle reports like this more often. Find the truly interesting ones, or maybe ones that were so much a product of their edition that redoing it showcases the differences in editions. I can dream I suppose.
    Which is why GW will never do it. GW's official position is that the current edition is BY FAR the best that ever was and all the older ones are terrible. And among those terrible editions, the absolute worst was 2nd ed. I remember them sending people to actively trash 2nd ed threads at Portent.

Maybe the "New GW" will change it's tune, but I honestly expect peace to come to Korea before that happens.

I think its disrespectful of WD to trash the hard work of previous employees just to big up the new edition; it puts me in mind of someone who is so unsure of themselves they diss other people in a vain effort to make themself look better.

Regarding American spelling I believe it was intended to spell the word more phonetically but the problem is the changing nature of language. Dr Jackson Crawford has done some good videos on this on YouTube.

While I did enjoy the battle report I found it difficult to care too much about the guard or feel there sense of impending doom as I had no idea how many men left they had at the start of each assault; I'd have liked to seen a pic of the farm at the start of each assault. The choice of terrain really stood out as it looks nothing like a farm, I am sure they could have done better even with using those kits. Overall it felt a bit like a cobbled together series of highlights and so lost a sense of flow. It is a real shame they didn't mention Zulu as well.

Overall this report did have a bit more of a feel for 2nd ed to me...perhaps thats why I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Egg View Post
    Regarding American spelling I believe it was intended to spell the word more phonetically but the problem is the changing nature of language. Dr Jackson Crawford has done some good videos on this on YouTube.
    Could have been worse

Part 3: Narrative Re-forged

So why are we doing this? What are we actually seeking to achieve?

Firstly, are we wanting to just make a battle report which happens to bear some similarities to the original Glazer’s Creek? are we just wanting to mark the anniversary of the original Glazer’s Creek? or should this be a celebration of probably the most renowned White Dwarf battle report of all time?

The very fact that this is being done on the anniversary of the original, and that it was announced further in advance than GW announces most faction releases, suggests to me that this was intended to be something special – something beyond just dragging up some nostalgia in order to sell it to older customers.
    The fact that this is The Battle of Glazer’s Creek that we’re dealing with, I think makes it deserving of extra special treatment. This isn’t just some random battle report – it’s not the first Carnage game, it’s not Tycho getting zapped by a weirdboy, it’s not the multi-game siege of Temperstora, it’s something more than all of those. This is the best of the best, and deserves to be treated as such. If ever there was a case for an article getting special treatment in White Dwarf, this is it. And the occasion should be risen to.

The June 2018 editorial describes Glazers Creek II as ‘refighting it’ (pg.7). The introduction to the report uses both ‘pay homage to’ and ‘refight it’ (pg.89). The original Facebook announcement used ‘recreate’ twice.

There’s some discrepancy there regarding intent, but broadly – to me at least – it reads as though the intent is to present a remake of the original battle – ie. the same scenario (Rouke’s Drift) with the same characters (the Praetorians)in the same location (the farm) – but with updated rules and models.

To my mind that would have been a mistake. The Battle of Glazer’s Creek is done. The story is completed, and the report is regarded as one of the best. There’s nothing to be gained from revisiting that again.

Of course what we got was a sequel of sorts – a similar scenario with similar characters in a similar location.

Name:	Mmm fresh!.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	236192
    Like Star Wars, but with fewer lactating seal monsters

As I commented in Part 2, I think that this was also a mistake. The scenario, the characters, and the location are iconic. If you change all of those then what you’re left with simply can’t hope recreate/match the original.

In the original the scenario is the Battle of Rouke’s Drift in space. The Imperial Guard are defending their supplies and the local hangers-on to the campaign from the Orks who have overrun the Imperial force at Isandlwana Big Toof River. In the remake the scenario is that the Astra Militarum are just passing by being chased by Orks and happen to stop at the farm by coincidence.
    In the original the characters are the Praetorian XXIV who are immediately and easily identifiable with the historical inspiration for the battle. In the remake the Ventrillian 24th are space Napoleonics because..? I guess because they also have a historical basis? They have no connection to the original battle or to the historical events its based upon.
    In the original the location is Glazer’s farmstead – a collection of ramshackle outbuildings and a windmill, which looks like it belongs on a backwater world and has been abandoned until the arrival of the defenders. In the remake the farm is STC bunkers, storage containers, and a big silo covered in Adeptus Mechanicus iconography. It looks like any collection of scenery from any other battlefield.

A sequel is a good idea, but the execution needs major work.

The Scenario

Firstly, there needs to be one beyond ‘everyone turned up at the farm for unexplained reasons’.

It’s the early years of M42. Above Montar VII a space hulk tears its way into the materium. It’s the very same hulk which was lost in the warp with Warboss Bullgarg on board for over a century - and now the Orks are back!
    An astropathic distress call is sent out, and who should respond but several Praetorian regiments of the Astra Militarum, who have found their transport convoy stranded nearby by the upheavals in warpspace caused by the creation of the Cicatrix Maledictum.
    Meanwhile, in Glazer’s Creek, Old Man Jenkins – one of the veterans of the Praetorian XXIV who fought in the campaign to retake Montar VII from the previous Ork invasion, and was granted settling rights on the planet in the aftermath looks to the skies with trepidation.

There are some battles, blah blah, yadda yadda; a platoon of Praetorians is tasked with securing the Creek, as it is one of the few inhabited areas outside of the main population centres which is of any significance to the Praetorians. The Orks are attacking in other sectors and aren’t expected to bother with such a small settlement. However as the Praetorians meet up with Old Man Jenkins, a dust cloud appears on the horizon...

It’s not a literary masterpiece, but now everybody has a reason to be at the farm, and the continuity confusion over Glazer Jr is removed.

The Characters

Save the Ventrillians for space Waterloo. The Battle of Glazer’s Creek = Praetorians.

’The Praetorian models are now long out of production, which is why we decided not to feature them in this game’ claims the remake (pg.90).
    Well, you know what the solution to that problem is? Put praetorians back in production!

There are number of ways this could be done.

I assume that GW no longer have the original moulds, but they surely have the original models. Could they not be 3D scanned and then cast anew? If moulds for so many metal/plastic models would be prohibitively expensive, cast them in Finecast resin, or pass the job to Forgeworld (who I assume are also using rubber moulds).

Perhaps a better idea would be to release a plastic upgrade sprue along the lines of the Genetealer Cult upgrade to fit the Cadian line.

Name:	plastictorian.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	236193
    I say old chap!

I don’t think that’s an official piece of art, but you get the idea.
    A sprue with ten heads (only 2/3 variations to reduce sculpting time), a couple of empty helmets, five of the shoulder braid thingies to represent officers/veterans, and a bugle. Easy. There’s six to eight months to fit it into the production schedule, assuming that they really did only decide to make Glazer’s Creek II when they put out the Facebook announcement (or just make them cast on demand upon release).

Expensive? Probably. But new Praetorians would be like a licence to print money for GW. Even if only available for a limited time, they’d be raking in the cash.

This would also allow for a whole host of extra articles and features linked to the battle report to either be released alongside it, or in the months after it.

The Location

Essentially, Glazer’s Farm needs to look more like Glazer’s Farm. Old man Jenkins has done some renovating, but the farm still needs to be somewhat recognisable – thus a windmill is a must. There could still be some of the generic plastic terrain used, but I’d do some basic conversion work in order to remove most of the iconography from it, and then paint it to look more weather beaten.

There is another potential link to additional content here.

----------

The Report

So now that the fundamentals are in place, what about the report itself?

First of all, the report needs more context. This needn’t be a huge amount of page space, necessarily. I’d have a couple of paragraphs of introduction like we got (pg.89), then a page covering the first invasion of Montar VII and the first Last Stand at Glazer’s Creek in brief, then half a page on the setup for the current battle, and a bit of flavour text like we got. Add in a couple of pictures and that’s perhaps three pages worth. There’s plenty of opportunity for additional articles here too.

The scenario is fine as is. I’d probably clarify that vehicles can’t go to the hospital, make the hospital indestructible, and prevent special characters being used though. The page count given over to the rules (about two pages) is good.

Large pictures of the participating armies are fine. A little input from the players here like in the original would be an improvement.

As for the bulk of the report itself, essentially copying the format of the original - maps and all! -would be a massive improvement in my opinion (as well as a nice callback, perhaps). The word-to-picture ratio needs to skew back significantly towards the words.
    The narrative style of the text is fine, but just (!) needs to be better written. Again, more like the original.

The conclusion is okay-ish. I don’t really know that almost a page worth is warranted necessarily, but more words are good.
    The flavour text ending is good.

----------

Linked Content

There is so much additional content which could be linked to the battle report and make it really special and memorable. Not all of it would need to be in a single issue (in fact spreading it out a bit would be a benefit). For example:

- Modelling Praetorians – an article about getting the most out of the new upgrade sprue. Perhaps three or four different people use the sprue to make models in slightly different ways: #1 just sticks the heads on and paints the Cadians red, #2 uses a khaki colour scheme, #3 trims the shoulder pads and trouser pockets off the models to make them less like Cadians, #4 uses the pith helmeted heads on Mordians to replicate the originals.
    - History of Montar VII – immediately following the battle report is an eight page long ‘Ultimate Guide to Armageddon’. Imagine that page space given to a description of the Battle of Big Toof River, for example. Make it an in-universe document which is humorously over the top British in tone (a little like Regimental Standard).
    - Terrain Workshop: Glazer’s Farm – how to make barricades, or dirty up plastic buildings, build a windmill etc. Alongside a ‘Battleground’ article on how the board was made, perhaps. You could include some in-universe notes about the local topography and flora/fauna.
    - Conversion article – how to convert Old Man Jenkins and whoever the Praetorian commanding officer is. Maybe have more savage looking orks using Bonesplitterz? These needn’t even have been included in the battle; they could just be ‘inspired by’.
    - Temporal Distort – if ever there was a reason to have a feature looking at old issues this is what it should be. You could even make the entire original battle report available as a PDF online.
    - Bundle deals – Buy three boxes of Cadians within the next two months and we’ll give you three upgrade sprues for half price!
    - Illustrious Regiments of the Imperial Guard: Praetorians – a nice background article on the Praetorians, their different uniforms, regiments, colours, homeworld, famous battles, etc. they’ve always been lacking in this department compared to other Regiments with model lines.
    - New rules – regimental doctrine for Praetorians is a given. Perhaps rules for Bullgarg. How about campaign rules for refighting the second invasion of Montar VII?

----------

In part 4 I’ll wrap up and draw some conclusions.
    Last edited by Lord Damocles; 02-07-2018 at 17:30. Reason: Spelling

Wow...as a dyslexic who spent a lot of my childhood trying not to spell like that I now find it very unsettling to read some of the examples on that page.

Brother Sergeant

Whine: give or make a long, high-pitched complaining cry or sound.
    The use of lasguns whining makes sense to me.
    Same as saying ballistic guns barking.

But moaning about that is pedantic as hell and just stuck up.

I actually enjoyed the report for what it was

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast