So, ok, this is a thing now, apparently:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHAdventures-May21-Books1ec.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	235487

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...dventuresMay21

https://warhammeradventures.com/

Not sure how I feel about that. The 40K universe isn't really kid-friendly, and I'm not sure that it can be made so without doing terrible things to it (I assume that the protagonists aren't going to get immediately incinerated by Necrons as soon as they show up..?) There comes a point where the source material has to be diluted so far that it loses its fundamental coherency.

On the other hand, these stories might be so terrible that they're hilarious. I'll get Attack of the Necron either way.

At least there's a skull on the cover of the 40K book, I suppose...

Re: Warhammer Adventures - GW Children's Books

Well, when AoS turned out to be distinctly He-Man in style I figured that much. I guess GW and I have grown apart. Let them attain happiness with their little kiddies. I guess the parents will happily pay up.
    Last edited by Ultimate Life Form; 21-05-2018 at 20:39.

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

Heh. Worth a shot.

Children as protagonists in 40k could work extremely well to uncover the sheer horror, fanaticism and misery of that setting, if handled like the Swedish author Olov Svedelid handled his historical novels for children. He wrote for adults as well, and they were filled with lurid, shocking, bloody and oppressive bits to boot, with filth and stern harshness and disease and hunger shining through. His books for children were no less true and harsh than his books for adults, just written from child's perspective:

You had a protagonist whose valiant and sympathetic peasant father participated in a revolt against the crown, and thus getting beheaded at the end of the book while the protagonist lived. You had a boy seeing all his male kinsmen slaughtered in the massacre that was the battle of Visby, waking in a shallow mass grave to a sunny day at the end of the book after passing out unconscious from some glancing mace blow or another. You had another boy whose sister got hired as a servant at the royal castle, becoming the mad king's mistress, whereupon the boy got hired as well, being led as a participant and informer into a net of intrigue and torture as an apprentice to a Machiavellian advisor to the king. No happy ending there! In another book, the protagonist was smacked hard by his stern father while the two were out foraging for food in war-torn Poland; the father went through the ice and drowned right at the start of the novel, leaving his son with that stark memory in mind for the march across the Belts. These are all books filled with drunkenness, violence, mice, rats, lice, filth, savage ravages of raiding, blood baths, executions, torture, medical unanaesthetized amputation, starvation, beset armies freezing to death in snow storms, plots, lies, fear, poverty, crime, rowdy soldiers, attention to detail, completely faithful worldview for the times concerned, pomp and majesty, brilliant colourful descriptions and utter realism. War, disease and hunger for power are all revealed in their raw nature, all seen through children's eyes. Good books to grow up by, and hardening stories.

A pity they've never been translated into English, because I wish I could point you to English translations.

Something of the kind would be perfect for 40k. An author like Matthew Farrer could handle it without trouble. Not that I expect the adventure books here to be of the kind (they might be fun enough in a more lighthearted wish fulfilment way, who knows?), but just mentioning: Children as protagonists in 40k is not a stupid concept in and of itself.

Mors Cattus Moderatus DeathCat147's Avatar

Well I suspect that these will be fairly self contained plot wise and will have no bearing on the universe at large. So I'm all for them. They are perfect for my friends kids that are interested in daddy and mommy's hobby. These are the sort of product that helps invest a future generation in the hobby and create a sustainable community. GW have in my opinion, done wonders since AoS was released to reinvigorate the business and the community at large. While a some may malign their business decisions and their choices to move beyond the stagnating settings, the financial reports have shown a strong growth thanks to their choices. They have also brought a lot of new blood in to the community and drawn back veterans. Doing some bridging books for kids are ideal and will no doubt sell well, as well as allowing hobbying parents to be able to share their passion with their kids with some age appropriate reading.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathCat147 View Post
    Well I suspect that these will be fairly self contained plot wise and will have no bearing on the universe at large.
    Even if entirely self contained in terms of plot, if we were to end up with eleven year old techpriests who can defeat Necrons with the power of friendship, or whatever, that has a impact on the overall fictional universe - in the same way that Goto's books - while similarly self contained plot-wise - are generally held to have negatively impacted the universe.

That's not to say that these series will be bad for the universe, but they probably have a higher than average likelihood to (like a Ben Counter novel featuring Necrons...)

I'm not sure how to feel about these. It's one thing to produce violent books for children (which I am not totally against) and another to create fiction for kids that gets them engaged with a universe full of highly problematic ideology, intolerance, xenophobia etc and try to kiddy colour it so they enjoy it.

It would be like Mein Kampf Jr. Is it ever going to be appropriate for children? Will it normalise behaviour and intolerance they shouldn't have?

I mean, basically, the imperial story uses Hitler youth as its protagonists...
    Last edited by Hellebore; 22-05-2018 at 05:29.
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

I think this could be a good thing. As a kid I read plenty of adventure books like this, which reading them now were full of lurid detail, deaths galore and horrific things occurring. As a child I found those things really cool!

So these books are really only following in their vein, with. GW tint to them. If people are worried about accidentally creating GWs littlr ubermenshe, then perhaps they need to remember what they read as a kid and if it turned them evil...

Plus, the fun thing is that it will probably be fun for adult readers too, to see how childrens writers have tried to make 40k and AoS palatable for kids under 10.
    Last edited by blackcherry; 22-05-2018 at 07:21.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    I think this could be a good thing. As a kid I read plenty of adventure books like this, which reading them now were full of lurid detail, deaths galore and horrific things occurring. As a child I found those things really cool!

So these books are really only following in their vein, with. GW tint to them. If people are worried about accidentally creating GWs littlr ubermenshe, then perhaps they need to remember what they read as a kid and if it turned them evil...

Plus, the fun thing is that it will probably be fun for adult readers too, to see how childrens writers have tried to make 40k and AoS palatable for kids under 10.
    The difference here is that no other kids books had theocratic genocidal fascists as it's protagonists.

Imperial ideology is terrible and those kids would be adherents

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
    The difference here is that no other kids books had theocratic genocidal fascists as it's protagonists.

Imperial ideology is terrible and those kids would be adherents

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
    This isn't the right forum to elaborate on this topic and discuss it, though there is a forum you CAN do that if you guild up *looks suggestivly at my signature*
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damocles View Post
    So, ok, this is a thing now, apparently
    https://youtu.be/sCSRPIgKZVk

“Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” - William Shakespeare
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
    “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.” - Oscar Wilde

Interestingly, Cavan Scott apparently wrote Flayed, which ends with the young female protagonist seeing her brother killed by Flayed ones, and then getting taken by the Death Spectres as effectively breeding stock (against her will).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damocles View Post
    Interestingly, Cavan Scott apparently wrote Flayed, which ends with the young female protagonist seeing her brother killed by Flayed ones, and then getting taken by the Death Spectres as effectively breeding stock (against her will).
    This is exactly the stuff people want their kids to read!

I have no qualified opinion about the books.

From the sidelines the 40k reaction looks a lot like the reaction of the WHFB community once the end time plan was revealed and fantasy space marines leaked. Realistically GW has been targeting younger customers for a long time now (style of writing in books, bigger is better and HULK smash). This is just a logical step for GW.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Well the 40kers have been crying about the percieved deterioration of fluff for ages. But it doesn't seem to have any effect as the game's still going as strong as ever. I guess it's easier to grit one's teeth and live in the past than to admit to oneself that one is playing a children's game.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    I have no qualified opinion about the books.

From the sidelines the 40k reaction looks a lot like the reaction of the WHFB community once the end time plan was revealed and fantasy space marines leaked. Realistically GW has been targeting younger customers for a long time now (style of writing in books, bigger is better and HULK smash). This is just a logical step for GW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Life Form View Post
    Well the 40kers have been crying about the percieved deterioration of fluff for ages. But it doesn't seem to have any effect as the game's still going as strong as ever. I guess it's easier to grit one's teeth and live in the past than to admit to oneself that one is playing a children's game.
    Most GW games have been for ages 11-12+. Hell that was around the age I was when I discovered 2nd edition WH40K. The cover of Codex: Ultramarines featured a space greco-roman waving a banner in a blue space suit with yellow trim and bright red guns that were clearly inspired by comic books. If anything the setting has grown steadily darker, but more over the top in tone.
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Most GW games have been for ages 11-12+.
    Well if you read the blurb for Warhammer Adventures you'll find they're now officially for ages 8-12+.

As for 40k, well it started out as a pretty blatant parody of the REAL Warhammer setting so it didn't really aim to bear any semblance of realism at that time. As for the REAL Warhammer, the minds behind it were rather heavily invested in (military) history and it shows, the earliest Editions were painstakingly designed to emulate the conditions of actual historical R&F battle down to accurately scaling shooting ranges, just with the odd Dwarf or Elf thrown in. It reads more like a "what if Middle Earth suddenly popped up in medieval Europe" kind of story. Later Editions took a bit of liberty with this approach and injected lots of Magic into the setting until 8th Edition dialed it up to eleven.
    Last edited by Ultimate Life Form; 25-05-2018 at 13:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Life Form View Post
    As for 40k, well it started out as a pretty blatant parody of the REAL Warhammer setting so it didn't really aim to bear any semblance of realism at that time.
    I will always find it amusing that Games Workshop, when they merged with Citadel Miniatures, was pushing Warhammer Fantasy Battle very heavily, with the core rules, the bestiary, ravening hordes, even an RPG (40K would get nothing like that until something like 25 years later) and some of the designers wanted to make Orcs and the like with guns and they thought it'd be a neat little thing to do, like the Christmas themed miniatures, just something to dabble in...

... and then WH40K eclipsed it's older brother and well outlasted it.

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

There's an awful lot of "gatekeeping" going on with these books, both here and elsewhere.

The vast, vast majority of current Warhammer players encountered the game as kids, usually in the 10-12 range. Most of us didn't start reading BL books until their mid-teens because a) there weren't a lot and b) they're actually rather dense in terms of grammar, word count, and syntax.

These fill a clear niche. While I'm not outraged or anything, I'm not "these will be great!" either. That remains to be seen, and in any case, IF YOU'RE READING THE NEWS ABOUT THEM YOU ARE NOT THE TARGET AUDIENCE. BL and GW have a number of very experience authors and editors who have done kids books before in some capacity, so I'm not going to dismiss their potential success out of hand either.

This is basically the Warhammer version of Star Wars "Jedi Prince" series, which was for kids, and had absolutely zero impact on the "B-Canon" EU for Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    IF YOU'RE READING THE NEWS ABOUT THEM YOU ARE NOT THE TARGET AUDIENCE.
    Oh, but they absolutely are. I invite you to read the announcement again:

Quote Originally Posted by Warhammer Community
    they will be the perfect way to introduce your children, siblings, nieces, nephews and other young fans in your life, to the hobby you love
    You think those kids are going to magically discover that a brand new series of books has just been created for them? Hardly! These books are for mommy and daddy to spread the Warhammer virus. Basically they're kindly asking you to pass your addiction on to your offspring. A reasonable request.

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

Indeed, Ultimate Life Form! We as host bodies have been taken over by the Warhammer contagion, and are rather glad to comply in passing it on. This is a forum for those infected by the disease, after all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast