Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Warhammer Adventures - GW Children's Books

Re: Warhammer Adventures - GW Children's Books

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    His tattoo is of an alien beast. Like getting a space tiger on his arm or something. The Imperium is fine with that.
    In that case a ":" would have been clearer than a ".". All that is left is a simple kid's story.

The sci-fi story is better written and has less shocking moments than the fantasy one.

EDIT: come to think of it, both stories start pretty much the same: girl loses mom and gets beaten up to ...
    Last edited by Little Joe; 26-09-2018 at 12:37.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    The sci-fi story is better written and has less shocking moments than the fantasy one.
    I dunno about better, but the AoS one is pretty dark... opens on a kid, of some vague pre-teen age, being worked to death by Darkoath barbarians excavating a Realmgate, who watches her mother die in slavery... but then I haven't read the Harry Potter series (or seen the movies) and I'm told those are pretty dark, so y'know... kids these days...
    “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” - William Shakespeare
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
    “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.” - Oscar Wilde

So for those of us who are still too young to read (what are you doing here?) - they exist as Audio Books also.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...he-audiobooks/

Makes for the perfect bedtime story!

Also the launch date has been given as February.

Billie Piper seems like a peculiar choice; but then I'm not an eight year old, so what do I know?

Do eight year olds listen to lots of audiobooks? I can't recall ever seeing any in children's sections of bookstores*

*Not that I spend lots of time hanging out in the children's sections of bookstores...

Well, as a child, I absolutely loved audio dramas (is that the word for it? You know, kind of like television, only without a screen), and to a point I still do. But an audio book where someone simply reads a story? I guess those didn't really exist back then... but it's not the same.

What really throws me off though, and I don't mean that in an offensive way at all, is the British accent. I know GW is an UK company, and it kind of would be odd any other way, but I'm simply absolutely not used to it. It also seems to be overly pronounced and really overdone in the 40k example... is it just my imagination? Maybe if you're targetting an international audience it might be better to keep it a bit more neutral.

It is a little odd that the teenaged gang leader sounds like David Tenant doing an impression of Ray Winstone.

It was also a little odd that the ship was apparently left with its door(s) and porthole(s) open and access ramp down, as well as having no security personal or other crew to speak of around. Now I'm not suggesting that Zelia's mother is bad at parenting or anything, but Zelia does get menaced by a gang of armed miscreants who infiltrated the ship while she was asleep, and then flies her grav bike into a firefight, so...

Also I assume this means that the ship is now completely abandoned except for the servo sprites..?

It also seems to be overly pronounced and really overdone in the 40k example... is it just my imagination?
    tbh I found it quite natural, it's not received pronunciation, though; you can hear that he's a Scotsman. But then I'm not a native speaker either, I just listen to different "Englishes" a lot.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Okay, I just noticed this odd snippet on the German site:

Quote Originally Posted by https://warhammeradventures.com/de/about/#

ANGRIFF DER NECRONS

Ich habe das Buch mit meinen Freunden gelesen und

wir alle lieben es.

Alice (9)
    This is the equivalent of

Attack Of The Necron:

“A fantastic science fiction adventure”

David Tennant (the 10th Doctor)

from the English version, only here a girl named "Alice (9)" (perhaps a relative of Seven of Nine?) claims to have read the book with her friends, and that everyone loves it.

The obvious implications of the fact that the "review" of the 40k story is supposedly from a girl aside, it begs the following questions:

- Was David Tennant not good enough?
    - How did "Alice (9)" read a book that has yet to be released?
    - How did all of her friends get access to it too?
    - Did nobody sign a NDA?
    - Are they authorities on fiction, literature or 40k or why should I care?
    - Or does GW employ test readers?
    - If so, isn't it highly doubtful that "Alice (9)" read the German version, so why would she be able to rate it?
    - So for the English blurb David Tennant seemed more reputable after all than a random girl named "Alice (9)"?

???????

Are you implying that a) Alice isn't [likely to be] typical of the audience for these books?
    ----------------------- -b) There's skulduggery afoot with pre-release reviews?
    ----------------------- -c) David Tennant wouldn't be an authority on 40K fiction?

Because I for one have absolute trust in GW's honesty and ability. Absolute. Trust.

EDIT: Also, we seem to have confirmation of another character for the 40K story - Fleapit the Jokaero.
    Last edited by Lord Damocles; 15-11-2018 at 18:08.

To be fair, Doctor Who is pretty meaningless for German kids or Germans in general (it's hardly ever on TV here, and only on channels that nobody watches), so Alice (9) might actually have more advertising impact here than David Tennant.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

It's actually a series.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...ures-continue/

Even before the first books are out, they're announcing the sequels. So these kids are the new Gotrek & Felix, stars of their very own series of books. Next on the plate is Tyranids, so basically we already know that the Necrons couldn't stand up to the power of friendship and had to retreat in shame *sniff*

That's some spoilerific approach there. On the other hand, in the Age of Sigmar, it seems that the Skaven antagonist is back for more and will nicely shape up as Thanquol's successor. Actually he seems to be the most interesting character of the whole bunch.

You can say what you want about this, but I have to hand it to GW, the way they're pushing and supporting this is really great. The amount of work that is put into establishing this new series is stunning. Now if only they had cared about a certain fantasy game that much...

Well, I'm thrilled that my favourite character, Fleapit, will get to survive Necrons, Space Marines, Genestealers, and Tau; and then get to go to Earth.

It's great that Alice liked the first book so much that they greenlit two sequels already.

EDIT: Although I totally unironically love that servo skull wearing a tricorn!
    Last edited by Lord Damocles; 28-11-2018 at 17:57.

I'm sure he will have an audience with the god-emperor of mankind.

(Why do pictures of the Lion from the Wizard of Oz pop up in my head?)

Also notice the thrilling details in the preview:

A member of the team out-of-action

Note how it says "out of action". Not dead. Out. Of. Action. Can't have any violence in our Alien ripoff now can we.

So according to the popularity poll, Zelia, the main character, is the least liked of the group. Gentlmen, it seems we have a problem at our hands. A furry monkey sidekick is roughly twice as popular as everyone else. Stealing the spotlight, however, is a faceless killing machine with 37% approval.

The AoS equivalent shows a downright mirrored result, with Mr. Stormcast coming in at a meager 15%, barely outdoing the side characters introduced one week ago. I guess they're still not popular.
    Last edited by Ultimate Life Form; 28-11-2018 at 20:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Life Form View Post
    Also notice the thrilling details in the preview:

A member of the team out-of-action

Note how it says "out of action". Not dead. Out. Of. Action. Can't have any violence in our Alien ripoff now can we.
    Well he might not be dead.

So according to the popularity poll, Zelia, the main character, is the least liked of the group. Gentlmen, it seems we have a problem at our hands. A furry monkey sidekick is roughly twice as popular as everyone else. Stealing the spotlight, however, is a faceless killing machine with 37% approval.
    I'm not sure how vested I'd be in a popularity poll for a book that is to be released in February of next year. Somehow I doubt those people have read the book to form opinion outside of "Space Marines look cool".
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Well he might not be dead.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about.

You don't need to read the book. The Warhammer Adventures site introduces all of the characters and gives a clear characterization of everyone's background and traits (apparently I am like Elio, somehow). The Space Marine is just one of a million of identical clone warriors and doesn't even have a name. He literally couldn't be any more bland. Yet he somehow appeals to the masses more than your carefully crafted cast of characters. It's like Stormtrooper No.5183749 being more popular than Yoda. Just crazy.

To be honest it was a bit silly to include the Space Marine in the poll, but from a writing stanpoint that's a complete disaster. When you have results like this you know you've done messed up. The book better be real good and establish the other characters in their own right or this series will see no more than 3 issues.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

You don't need to read the book. The Warhammer Adventures site introduces all of the characters and gives a clear characterization of everyone's background and traits (apparently I am like Elio, somehow). The Space Marine is just one of a million of identical clone warriors and doesn't even have a name. He literally couldn't be any more bland. Yet he somehow appeals to the masses more than your carefully crafted cast of characters. It's like Stormtrooper No.5183749 being more popular than Yoda. Just crazy.

To be honest it was a bit silly to include the Space Marine in the poll, but from a writing stanpoint that's a complete disaster. When you have results like this you know you've done messed up. The book better be real good and establish the other characters in their own right or this series will see no more than 3 issues.
    Given GW quite literally swims in the money right now, I doubt slightly less than stellar sales of novels for eight to ten year olds will have any large impact on them, whether good or ill.

So being a thirty-something man, I went and read the book about space undead intended for children. Spoilers ahead:

So lets talk about the Necron plan:

Other background stuff:

Miscellaneous points of interest:

As I predicted, Zelia’s pacifism is laughably out of place; Mekki is guilty of techno heresy and is crazy overpowered; Talen is pretty damn unlikeable due to his willingness to abandon people at the drop of a hat; the Necrons don’t come out of the story well (although the power level of Doom Scythes has certainly shot up!); and everyone should have been dead multiple times over.

There are some oddly mixed messages - some more obvious than others - it's ok to show emotion, but not always; weapons are bad except when they solve our problems; the main cast work together despite their obvious outward differences, but every abhuman we meet is a jerk; captains selling their services, or gangs threatening young girls are bad, but everyone is stealing things all over the place.
    I assume that some of the main characters might learn lessons by the end of the overall story arc, but by the end of this book no character development had been spelt out.

I was surprised to learn from the blurb on the back cover that Targian is Zelia's homeworld, since this is never brought up in the actual text, and like everybody else, she doesn't seem particularly affected by its loss.

I was a bit disappointed that the story isn’t a self contained episode – instead being just part 1 of 3+.
    It is also disappointing that there are multiple glaring errors in the illustrations, which should have been picked up.

That said, I got more from this book than I would most issues of White Dwarf, and Scott still writes Necrons better than Counter ever has.
    Last edited by Lord Damocles; 23-02-2019 at 16:11. Reason: Spellings. So many spellings!

Fourth book in the 40K series is up on Amazon, titled The Planet of the Orks.

If they don't get captured, and Talen doesn't say, 'Take your stinking hands off me you damn dirty Ork' I'll be inconsolable.

And I read the book about outrunning xenomorphs:

So this whole plot rests upon

I particularly liked that the quote from David Tennant on the back cover is the same exact one which was used for Attack of the Necron.
    Last edited by Lord Damocles; 25-05-2019 at 19:16.

Quotes are not cheap these days.

Long live the well communicated cooperation between artists.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast