Thread: Could/can the Emperor regenerate?

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Could/can the Emperor regenerate?

Being new to 40K, I have a huge amount of lore to read through.
    I've been reading up on the main Imperial timeline as a start, but then branched out in the Primarchs.
    I was reading an online article on Vulkan. At some point he is captured by the Night Haunter, who attempts to execute him:
    The Night Haunter personally beheaded the Salamanders' Primarch, ripped out his throat with a piece of cutlery, stabbed him through the chest and virtually tore him limb from limb with his own wicked claws. When these attempts failed to kill Vulkan, Curze had him eviscerated, shot at close-range by hundreds of Bolters, put into a ventilation shaft of a starship's engine and even stripped naked and thrown out of an airlock into the airless void of space. But the Night Haunter's efforts proved all for naught.
    Vulkan survived all this (and reentry from the upper atmosphere of Macragge) because he was a Perpetual, a mutant able to heal any damage done to him.

In the article about Perpetuals it says the Emperor was/is a Perpetual too.
    The wounds inflicted on him during the Siege of Terra seem far less severe than the ones Vulkan suffered.
    So why did the Emperor (think that he would) die?
    Last edited by Arnizipal; 26-06-2018 at 11:50.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Re: Could/can the Emperor regenerate?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    So why did the Emperor (think that he would) die?
    It's one of those 40K mysteries fans loved discussing since the Inquisitor skirmish game came out and hinted it. Basically, if you turned off the Golden Throne... would the Emperor die and regenerate?

It's worth pointing out however, that a lot of new information came with the Horus Heresy lore expansion, and the Golden Throne which supposedly sustains the Emperor... it may not in fact be keeping him alive, but instead he needs to sit there, because... [SPOILERS]... the Golden Throne is the activation/entrance to part of the Webway network, and this section is currently breached by Daemons. The Emperor is essentially holding the door closed from the warp spilling out onto Terra and swallowing it up... if he 'submits' and reincarnates, earth gets swallowed up by the warp...[/SPOILERS]
    “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” - William Shakespeare
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
    “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.” - Oscar Wilde

Yup, I read about that last bit as well. Was new info for me as I thought I knew the main storypoints of the Horus Heresy.
    This is fairly recent background then?

My point in any case is that as a Perpetual, the Emperor would only be able to die by being stabbed by a weapon made from Fulgurite (which I understand is very rare).
    Any other injury would simply heal. I don't mean this in the metaphorical sense (the Emperor dying and being reborn as the Star Child) but him physically getting better even without life support.
    Last edited by Arnizipal; 27-06-2018 at 13:38.

Eh, fairly new...

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    My point however is, that as a Perpetual, the Emperor would only be able to die by being stabbed a very specific weapon.
    Any other injury would simply heal. I don't mean this in the metaphorical sense (the Emperor dying and being reborn as the Star Child) but him physically getting better even without life support.
    If he's anything like Vulkan? Yes, sure... but Vulkan didn't pop straight back up each time he died, he was down varying between several hours and several days. For the Emperor to do this, he'd have to 'die' and he'd be pretty much be at Ground Zero, when the warp breach occurs, incapacitated. Plus, all his most hard won accomplishments are in the Palace Dungeons with him...

It's very likely he's refusing to die through sheer force of will, holding out for... something...
    “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” - William Shakespeare
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
    “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.” - Oscar Wilde

Fair enough

The Emperor could be a Perpetual*, but I think that this idea is mostly based upon the fact that Vulkan is one and the Primarchs embody various traits of the Emperors?

But Sanguinius had wings, and the Emperor couldn't fly, so it's obviously not quite so literal.

Notice how the 40K Wiki doesn't actually source any of the claims made in the articles, making it difficult/impossible to fact check it.

*(as opposed to the Emperor just being able to regenerate by some other magical means)

It actually does cite sources:
    Betrayer (Novel) by Aaron Demski-Bowden
    Fabius Bile: Primogenitor (Novel) by Josh Reynolds
    The Ghost Halls (Short Story) by L.J. Goulding
    Know No Fear (Novel) by Dan Abnett, pp. 208-209
    Legion (Novel) by Dan Abnett
    Perpetual (Audio Book) by Dan Abnett
    The Unremembered Empire (Novel) by Dan Abnett
    Vengeful Spirit by Graham McNeill
    Vulkan Lives (Novel) by Nick Kyme
    However, I haven't read/heard any of those novels (or any 40K novels at all since the free Gaunt's Ghosts booklet I got with White Dwarf decades ago).

Well, it gives sources, yes, but it doesn't specify which source is linked to which claim in the article, or where in those multiple thousands of pages of source material we should be looking for the relevant information, so they're basically useless.

Know No Fear (Novel) by Dan Abnett, pp. 208-209

Though the audiobook called Perpetual would probably be a good place to start.
    I wonder if it's still available.