Thread: Game's still alive and kicking

Game's still alive and kicking

And to prove it (and dust off this place) I decided to share a few pics with you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3113.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	389.9 KB 
ID:	236233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3111.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	236234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3107.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	493.1 KB 
ID:	236235

It's from a game we played two weeks ago. Slowly but surely we're fighting our way through the End Times campaign. This was the last scenario from the Thanquol book, you know, where the Dwarves make their last stand before being wiped from the face of the planet. And because of the scenario special rules, only Infantry are alowed to participate! So this was the grand chance for my Skaven army to shine in all its glory.

The game was 4600 points, which was marginally less than what I could muster (except for characters), or fit on the table for that matter. Unfortunately I still lost, because those nasty Dwarves hit like a ton of bricks. This is however how it played out canonically so I'm not too upset.

I'm toying with the idea of starting an End Times blog. While there are numerous reviews of the End Times books and new units on the web, none of them seem to take the campaign into account. Perhaps it was considered too "fluffy" at that time to be worth any consideration, but AoS taught us that fun is the most important aspect of tabletop gaming so while the scenarios are in no way balanced, they offer a lot of fresh wind to liven up the game and try out stuff you'd never do (or be able to) otherwise.

So I can give a good rundown on everything, and Warseer can be the only place on the web to exclusively host this sort of content.

Veteran Sergeant

Re: Game's still alive and kicking

This will be interesting to keep up on, despite my personal feelings about 8th in general. 5th had some really good campaign packs that provided some fun gaming, maybe it'd be worth your while to port them over to 8th? Someone on classichammer.com was talking about doing the same but for 6th, which is what holds MY interest. Either way, this will be interesting to keep up on. Batreps are always great reads, regardless of the edition.

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing! Taste colours both for armies and scenery, a joy for an aesthete to behold. I'm with the Dwarfs, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Life Form View Post
    So I can give a good rundown on everything, and Warseer can be the only place on the web to exclusively host this sort of content.
    That'd get me checking Warseer regularly again. I've been getting my WFB fix over on the EEFL forums the last few months, as things were dying down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrogamer View Post
    This will be interesting to keep up on, despite my personal feelings about 8th in general. 5th had some really good campaign packs that provided some fun gaming, maybe it'd be worth your while to port them over to 8th? Someone on classichammer.com was talking about doing the same but for 6th, which is what holds MY interest. Either way, this will be interesting to keep up on. Batreps are always great reads, regardless of the edition.

I've played through the Grudge of Drong, works pretty well. You really just need to take a look and adjust the magic items for the special characters, or rebuild them in advance.

Still going strong here (at my house anyway) Got a game in last week

Name:	m6uFi5S.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	460.3 KB 
ID:	236250

https://i.imgur.com/nylKDxk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Fwvg1KQ.jpg
    Last edited by Horace35; 13-07-2018 at 16:48.

Two awesome tables filled with pretty stuff here.

@ULF Wow, those dwarves are outnumbered. How did the dwarves win that without softening it up with artillery?

@Horace35 Great, those where nice campaign boxes
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Thank you, thank you all my dear friends. Nice to see that I'm not alone. WHFB for life!

Yes, I intend to run all of the campaigns at one point, beginning from 1st Edition, at least if I can talk people into it. Obviously some amendments need to be made, but from 5th Edition onwards it shouldn't be too complicated.

@Little Joe:
    Well the Dwarves won by their usual stuff, namely Great Weapons, crazy armor and permanent 5+ parry saves. Those little buggers just refuse to die. Matt Ward or whoever it was really went overboard with buffing them. Not much a bunch of S3 Rats can do about them. I didn't win a single combat.

I managed to obliterate his Irondrakes on Turn 1 via focussed Jezzail fire and Withered his Hammerers into oblivion with Magic of the End Times which is incredibly lethal in Skaven hands, but that was about it. Even my Horde of Super Storm Vermin (S5) with Death Frenzy on them were ultimately no match for Thorgrim's unit. By the time his reinforcements arrived it was basically Game Over.

I also had some incredibly bad Break Tests. I charged his Quarrelers simultaneously with two blocks of relatively fresh Plague Monks, as you can see in the top of this pic,

Name:	IMG_3134.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	502.9 KB 
ID:	236257

Only for both to break and allowing him to pursue into the flank of the third block.

It was a massacre.
    Last edited by Ultimate Life Form; 13-07-2018 at 22:45.

Librarian

Man, I used to hate newer editions of Warhammer... I'm a 4/5e-head myself. But even I have to admit, it looks awesome to see rank and file models on the table again, no matter what the edition. No game does it quite as well as Warhammer Fantasy Battle!

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Looks like it was an interesting game
    Cool battlefield as well.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

8th editio is making a bit of a comeback in several areas. I heard of a 32-person tournament recently in the UK, and several spots in US have weekly games. Check out EEFL (Eight Edition for Life) forum where we talk all things 8th edition still, every day!

Nice to hear for the come back. Also I will try to export out of the UK to Middle Europe with weekly games from Warhammer Skirmish, Mordheim and full on battle reports, with some Warhammer 40k Kill team games on video, if anyone interested I will post them here.

Veteran Sergeant

http://www.classichammer.com/forum/v...2549#post_2549

This site still has people posting battle reports and occasionally reposting them on dakka, so I'd say it's definitely still alive.