Thread: Returning to 40k after 10 years

Returning to 40k after 10 years

Hi all,

I'm returning to 40k after about 10 years now. The last edition I played was the one that had the battle for macragge box set of tyranids/space marines (not sure which edition that was).

10 years ago i switched to fantasy and had lots of fun until the unspeakable event occurred 4 years ago and I swore off it forever.

Now though, I'm ready to get into 40k and I already ordered my new Tau army. I've read a lot about 40k 8th edition and it sounds like the rules are actually a lot simpler and more balanced than before, so I'm pretty excited!

Do any of you have tips for someone returning to the hobby?
    Twilight Era: A free and independent fantasy battle game based on Warhammer Fantasy.

Key features: Alternating activations, leadership broken up into both discipline and courage, concise/balanced/non-confusing special rules, scalable army organization and magic dice count, multiplayer games (3+ players), and more.

Alpha rules available now. The overview page: https://goo.gl/N7Lxdn

Chapter Master

Re: Returning to 40k after 10 years

Hey man,

Its great to have you back.

Essentially forget everything you thought you knew about the rules of 40k. It is much better but there are still some head smacking moments, let them slide and you will have a wonderful revival of your old hobby. Tau are a great choice this edition too as they have a good codex with great internal balance (as long as you dont love Kroot) so you should be able to get a lot of use out of any models that take your fancy.

Good luck and have fun.

ZP
    Zombie P's Imaginative PLog of Stuff, and Things - Updated 30.4.16
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Facebeard View Post
    "Sighs, farts, and leaves : the Malorne story"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malorne View Post
    An uplifting tale of discovering oneself while overcoming grave peril and class stereotyping in a hostile world.

welcome back! I've not got tips as I'm an old school roleplayer and just got into wargaming... but I'm really enjoying my Deathguard army and their disgusting resilience.... All hail to Nurgle...
    Originally posted by Lord Damocles
    New Girl is the best girl.

Brother Sergeant

I know this is old ..but I quit the game for 13 years and came back for 8th. Just try out some small games as it does play differently

I'm in pretty much the same situation. I've been away since 2010, and discovered last night that the rulebook was much more reasonably priced than I expected. I have two enormous armies in need of updating, and it's use it or lose it so I guess I'm back in.

Yikes my sig is outdated!
    RC'S IMPERIAL LOG
    Legio Astorum, Ultrahawks Chapter and the Cadian 957th Brigade

MOST RECENT PROJECT: Repurposing a squad of 4th ed HQ Veteran Marines
    WANTED: Attack Bike or Landspeeder Multimeltas. Please pm.