Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kill Team & The Battle at the Farm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kill Team & The Battle at the Farm

The Idea
    My idea is to basically create an inspired-by version of The Battle at the Farm (BAF) but using the Kill Team rules. For this project I plan on making…

• A foldable Kill Team board
    • All terrain for the scenario
    • Space Ork Kill Team
    • Space Marine Kill Team

Though I won’t be replicating the forces exactly, the teams will be based on the original forces involved.

The Scenario

In the original scenario a group of marines were holed up in a ruined farm house as an Ork patrol was heading towards them; the two Ork leaders were looking to recover some loot they stashed in the ruins previously. I don't really have a plan for the narrative yet but it will be something along these lines.

The basics for deployment is that the marines are in the farm with two sentries in the outhouses while the Orks move on from the eastern board edge. The Orks must butcher the defenders and loot the ruins; the marines will be looking to repel their attackers.

The Board & Terrain

For storage purposes I intend to design the board to be hinged so that it folds shut. In addition, its gunna have magnetic catches to keep it closed and maybe I will add a carry handle to make transporting it easier. For ease of placing terrain and to make it as flexible as possible the playing surface will be relatively flat.

The original board was quite simple & characterful with three main terrain elements, the farm, the orchard and the hill. The board should also have some set-dressing elements such as crates, barrels and perhaps even a vehicle.

• Farm building based on the classic WD Ork Building article from WD134 It might be ruined it might not
    • Jadeberry Orchard based on the classic spiky-ball plants of 40k
    • Bultha’s Rise, a low hill I was thinking of making this a rocky hill to add a bit more interest
    • Wind power generator ruins…or maybe a crashed Rhino If a crashed Rhino then the bolter may still be functional using the tanks machine spirit

Hmm...if I did go with the crashed Rhino then perhaps the narrative could be something along the lines of a damaged Rhino finally gives out and the squad on board make for a group of nearby buildings knowing that they are being pursued by an Ork squad.

The Space Orks

My Orks are going to be inspired by both the original BAF scenario and the box art for the Space Orks box. I’m not planning on assigning them a particular clan, as I want a more generic Ork Raider feel.

The Space Marines

At the moment I am planning on using my own chapter, The White Wolves, for the space marines. They wear green armour with white helms and parts-wise I was going to use non-Primaris parts; tactical marines for the most part with beaky helms and assault squad legs for a more dynamic look.

So, what's my first move I hear you ask...well I have been designing the folding board but I think I will start with building an Ork or two to help ease my way into the project and to have something handy for designing the other elements.

Re: Kill Team & The Battle at the Farm

So green against green.

This should be interesting. Will you make an additional transport case for the terrain and miniatures to have a portable game?
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

It hadn't really occurred that it'd be green vs. green Might have to rethink that maybe...

No real plans to make a transport case for the terrain and minis. I will more than likely use a plastic tub for the terrain so I will need to bare that in mind when designing the farm so it fits in. For the minis I am rather fond of the card KR Multicase.

The first Ork is moving along without much to show really, he is built and I have started GSing. The arms don't quite line up so I have had to cut and pin them and some of the detail is a bit washed out so I am adding some GS to build it back up. Using GS more is one of the aims for this project as I want to go back to sculpting minis but haven't done any for years. Hopefully I will have a pic for you soon.

My first Space Ork is built!

Behold...a Space Ork...

This fella was fun to put together and a trip down memory lane though I never owned any of these plastic Orks but my main opponent back in the day had a tonne of these fellas and my marines had fun gunning them down. As I said above I had to adapt the arms to fit, with a bit of pinning and GS work. The detail on one of the hands was lacking so I tried GS but scraped that off in the end and kinda carved out the fingers. I also added some pouches from the Space Ork box set though I separated them so they looked a bit more like he was wearing them rather than they were just glued on. I also sculpted a little pouch.

Painting-wise I'm not set on any colours yet but I do fancy a fairly subdued look, something along the lines of the box art above...maybe I should pick one of the guys from the image and paint it up as him...

I have finally started reading the Kill Team rulebook so at some point soon(ish) I might actually have a list or two. At the moment I'm not sure if I will go with 100pts each or perhaps have 5 marines face off against a similar sized Ork force...or something else...

Ah, the Battle at the Farm...most of us who started with Rogue Trader played it several times.

So is that Ork resin?

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Sisters of Battle with Standards and metal Eldar Dire Avenger Exarchs - Selling Painted Elysian and Tau Armies, plus loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

I just missed it. I had been collecting WDs in the RT days but when I finally saved up enough mulla to buy the book I was told to get...the yellow covered one I think (can't remember the name) which had the new updated rules.

Nope, that there Ork is a classic plastic ork from the old Space Orks box which had 36 of the little chaps. I managed to get my hands on a box of unused sprues and a load of part built minis so expect to see a whole lot of these guys coming up.

My first Ork is almost done so expect to see a pic in a day or so.

Here Come Da Orks...kinda!

Here come Da Orks...

...well one Ork anyway. This little chap was fun to build, convert and paint up; the model has a lovely balance of detail. I did have to chop up the arms a bit to get them to match up properly...well if I wanted the head to fit too I added the large ammo pouch from the classic Space Orks sprue but decided to chop them into the three pouches so they could follow the curve of the belt; I then slapped a bit of GS to fill the gaps. I also added a stikkbomb from the sprue and GS'd a leather thong holding it on. I also sculpted a small pouch to help equip this fella out. By modern standards he is a tiny fella and is dwarfed by a Primaris marine who is twice the height.

Some of the colours are a bit bleached out by the flash. I have yet to decide on a symbol to paint on the disc on his back...any suggestions?

They look so civilized.

Mors Cattus Moderatus DeathCat147's Avatar

I think I saw this fella on the Book of Faces a short while ago but didn't put two and two together Either way he looks great

Thanks guys.

@Little Joe - Aye I think I prefer the older style RT Orks rather than the primal modern Orks. Apart from the gorilla look these guys feel a bit more grounded and like they had depth.

Lost Egg,

Getting ready of Orktober I see.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Sisters of Battle with Standards and metal Eldar Dire Avenger Exarchs - Selling Painted Elysian and Tau Armies, plus loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

Well your ork turned out rather well didn't he, nice job

Thanks guys

@Karak Norn Clansman - Nope. I'm not a member of that forum. I have posted it to a 40k Skirmish group on FB though. People do seem to like the reto look

I haven't managed to get anything done recently as I've been busy doing a lot of DIY at the mo...and to be honest my enthusiasm is flagging a little. So, I decided to make a couple of quick Kill Team lists to start with.

Marines……71pts…5 Models

Tactical Sergeant…17pts
    Power fist, bolt pistol, frag & krak grenades

Tactical Marine Gunner…18pts
    Missile launcher, bolt pistol, frag & krak grenades

3 Tactical Marines…36pts
    Boltgun, bolt pistol, frag & krak grenades

Orks……71pts…11 Models

Boss Nob…10pts
    Power klaw, slugga (bolt pistol) and stikkbombs

Ork Boy Gunner…7pts
    Big shoota (heavy bolter) and stikkbombs

5 Ork Boys…30pts
    Shoota (bolter) and stikkbombs

4 Ork Boys…24pts
    Slugga, choppa (chainswords) and stikkbombs

Obviously these are short of the standard 100pts a side but I prefer this slightly smaller size as marines always seem right in squads of 5. Down the line I can always add more marines are Orks.

I have kinda based these around the original forces from B@F but have tweaked things here and there, e.g. Thrugg, the Ork Boss from B@F, had a chainsword I wanted to use the awesome looking power claw from the RT box set.

Hmm...these forces don't look so bad...maybe I will break out some more Orks though I do need to finish stripping some...

Nice work getting that Ork together. They're deceptively fiddly when you need both arms to line up together to hold the bolter. Shame that box deson't (really) come with assualt weapons – slugga and choppa mean no lining up bits!

Thankies sir!

I'm building an Ork with a shoota at the mo and have had to cut both his arms at the elbows and wrists to get everything to line up...even then he is cradling the muzzle of the gun.

No assault weapons? It came with axes, chainswords, powerswords, bolt pistols and plasma pistols. I've also got some bits looted from the RTB marines and an Imperial Guard too.

Oh yeah...the box had power fists too, I'm looking forward to building one up with that. On the front of the box somewhere in the background you can make out an Ork with two power fists...thats would be a fun build

Wow...just wow...

...these classic Orks are tiny...hmm...

I have been thinking about marines recently and was wondering if there is much mileage in building up some new old-school marines what with Primaris likely to be pushing them ever further into oblivion. So, I considered using some Primaris guys I painted but they are green and as Little Joe pointed out that means green vs. green and would make things a tad dull.

So, then I started thinking about other possible colours schemes and as ever the Space Wolves reared their shaggy head. Now I have always been a fan of these bearded fellows...apart from their blueish armour. Over the years I have built 3 different Space Wolf armies, none of which I own anymore, and have tried the usual SW Blue, the light grey of the Wolf Time Campaign (classic RT once again) and a more militaristic battleship grey. It was at this point I remembered the classic Index Astartes articles and this little chap...

Now, I have been inspired by this fellow before so in some ways its nothing new...but then this time...it's Primaris!

After a quick search of eBay I found a copy of Tooth & Claw for £75 which is a steal, especially once I sell off the cult minis. I knew I also had some Primaris minis still on the sprue so have dug them out and discovered I actually still had a 5 man squad of SWs...which brings us back round to this image...

Damn, these Orks are tiny compared to the regular marines though just about doable but, against the Primaris they look daft and far from threatening. So...what to do, what to do...? Hmm...while I do like the classic Orks I think I might have to drop this idea and go with something a little more modern.

Now, with what I have in mind the Orks are gunna be a fair bit of work so I think for the mo I will concentrate on the marines. Watch this space...

The first marine is built...

He has a bit of minor kit bashing as I went with a SW knife from one of the regular marines and I also swapped the chainsword for a power sword which I think is a better choice and a far less daft weapon I have made sure all his equipment is actually on the model so he has a good smattering of pouches and gubbins. I was going to use a different head but struggled to find one I liked. This one does the job anyway plus he has my beard so its all good.

I will hopefully start painting him tonight but I still need to finalise what paints I'm gunna use so we will have to see.

It still feels a shame to be abandoning the regular marines and all their lovely options but looking at the new Kill Team Commanders release they got another nail in their coffin so its all for the best in the long run.

Kromlech makes some fancy Orks as do many other companies, why limit yourself?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast