Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Necromunda terrain redux

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Necromunda terrain redux

Hi'ya all,

I've recently returned to my roots and started Shadow War Armageddon with my teenager kids (looking also into Necromunda and Killteam with curiosity).
    It's time to brush off dust and fix my old Necromunda and 40K cityfight terrain from the storage boxes.

Initially I aimed just to fix and glue any broken bits, but the madness took over. I found me experimenting with pigments, washes, adding numbers and letters with transfers, adding small bits (ladders, hatches, etc) to make terrain pieces more playable and thematic. I should have known the terrainbuilder disease is incurable.

Without further ado, here's the first pieces. I'll be adding more images when I get more pieces ready.

POWER PLANT AND EXHAUST UNIT:

Re: Necromunda terrain redux

Lovely lovely homebrew terrain with the exhaust unit, you are off to a great start!
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Thanks! The powerplant is an old GW hardfoam piece (they sold these some 10-15 years ago). The exhaust unit is plain old tincan and paper tube with few bits and pieces. The top railings are just glued match sticks and window mosquito net.

I would also like to know what happened to hard foam? Since those pieces are excellent (I have few different ones). Light, detailed and quite durable.

Next up will be piles of storage crates, a fuel tank and few guard posts (minibunkers).
    Last edited by mv40k2; 04-09-2018 at 19:38.

Chapter Master

I like the powerplant- that brings back some memories
    Orcs and Goblins, Wood Elves, Necrons, Tyranids
    W / D / L
    1 / 2 / 139847
    Everyone else's win totals are completely accurate.

ZITERDES is the only company I know doing hardfoam big style. Microart Studio seems to use it in some terrain sets as well.

I am trying to get some terrain "published" in hardfoam because I think it is the best material on the market for most gaming terrain. The next best thing is home made because you know how to repair it.

@Little Joe: Ok, thanks for the info. Nice to know ZITERDES has plenty of terrain pieces available in hard foam, as I'm fan of the material. Too bad their modular terrain boards are plastic. I would have liked to get some and gouge in additional trenches, craters, etc to create a blasted 40k board. One thing that intrigues me in modular boards is depth.

I just added rust washes to my next pieces today, so maybe new images tomorrow after they have dried up.

Nice work! The little details like posters and the extra effort of washes and pigments really add to the whole experience when gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Thanks. Here are the promised...

GUARD POSTS for the power plant

Both fit 2 miniatures.
    Did those back in the 90s when working at local library in backroom fixing broken books for weeks with glue, and was bored as hell. Spray painted these gray and played few 40K games with them. Been in the storage since, so it was about time to revive them with drybrushing and washes.

Next to the power plant...

STORAGE DOCK A:

If it is sold in Finland for deep foam boards, check your DIY hardware store. Look for insulation foam and get the thick sheets.

Great to see more updated terrain as well as new builds. Those hazard stripes look like a lot of work.

Hazard strips are just printed on cardboard, cut to strips and glued on. Then stubbed on some metal paint and added washes to cover the printed look and white edges.

@LittleJoe: Yup, we have good insulation foam options available here in DIY hardware stores. But I'm kinda looking for commercial or otherwise factory cut plastic or other hard material 2'x2' or 1'x1' board pieces with enough depth and some kind of locking mechanism. I wish the whole gaming board to be pretty seamless and board piece edges durable enough to handle transportation and not wear over time. So no more self cut DIY modular boards and their maintenance for me. It would be great if somebody would sell a DIY modular board kit with only thin and rigid plastic/aluminum edges and you could fill them with hard insulation foam or whatever you like. Also pre-made hard foam modular boards would be a pretty good option, as it seems to be durable enough material to handle wear, and still workable if you need to dig in trenches/craters, make room for buildings or somehow tune it up to your preference. You cannot do that easily with plastic modular boards. So I'm still looking for an optimal solution before starting a modular board project - playing with DeepCutStudios: Urban Ruins mousepad gamemat and doing these urban/industrial terrain pieces until then.
    Last edited by mv40k2; 17-09-2018 at 09:13.

Quote Originally Posted by mv40k2 View Post
    But I'm kinda looking for commercial or otherwise factory cut plastic or other hard material 2'x2' or 1'x1' board pieces with enough depth and some kind of locking mechanism.
    Have you seen Sally 4th's Terra Formers products? They come in either 12" square or 24" square tiles. The frames are laser cut MDF with magnet holes in the sides; you fill them with foam which you can then texture and flock.
    Last edited by Codsticker; 17-09-2018 at 16:40.

Since trenches come with stretches of straight lines, maybe hex terrain is what you are looking for.

Kalistra

Seamless is near impossible when you go modular. This way you get extreme modularity.

@LittleJoe: Thanks for Kallistra tip for modular boards. Although to my eye, the hexes create more seams than remove them. TSS Modular Tile System is the closest fit to my needs I've found so far - pre-cut hard styrofoam (see review), but requires quite much work to become 40K urban terrain.

@Codsticker: Thanks! That Sally 4th Terra Formers tip was pretty awesome! Pretty much just what I was looking for. And plenty of tile options too!

To continue with...

STORAGE DOCK B:

mv40k2,

I cannot see your images...

Is anyone else having this issue?

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Sisters of Battle with Standards and metal Eldar Dire Avenger Exarchs - Selling Painted Elysian and Tau Armies, plus loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

I can see them fine CB.,

@Captain Brown: Images are in Dropbox. Maybe with another browser? Or Dropbox might be prevented in your network (I know it's sometimes prevented in Enterprise networks).

Quote Originally Posted by mv40k2 View Post
    @Captain Brown: Images are in Dropbox. Maybe with another browser? Or Dropbox might be prevented in your network (I know it's sometimes prevented in Enterprise networks).
    Must be the case, as I can see them from another computer.

Very nice.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Sisters of Battle with Standards and metal Eldar Dire Avenger Exarchs - Selling Painted Elysian and Tau Armies, plus loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast