Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: An ECW Siege Table Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

An ECW Siege Table Project

My partner in crimes against the hobby is Murdock of Murdock's Marauders. He came up with a plan for a scenario for Trumpeter's Salute 2019: a game based on the siege in the historical drama By The Sword Divided.

In the series the Lacey's ancestral castle, Arnescote Castle is besieged by Parliamentarian forces; Arnescote castle is, in fact, Rockingham Castle:

This won't be a straightforward table with a castle at one end though. Murdock's plan is to have siege options for the attacker: scale the walls; build saps and trenches; and/or attempt a breach. The trick with this table is modelling the saps, trenches and any breaches. We wanted the attacker to be able to place trenches and saps where he wished and to target specific sections of the wall for making a breach. The means flexibility in terrain.

We decided that the centre of the table would consist of removable 8 inch squares, thus allowing the attacker to remove a plain square and replace it with a square consisting of a trench or sap section. The wall of Arnescote Castle would also be in 8 inch sections, so that any breached sections could be removed and replaced with rubble. Here is a drawing to give you an idea of what we are looking for:

The wall of Arnescote castle is on the left, the attackers first parallel on the right. The besieged wall is (we believe) the wall on the right in the photo of Rockingham, partially obscured by the tree in the lower right-hand corner. The edges of the table will be solid; the dotted in lines give you an idea of the sections that could be pulled out and replaced with trenches or saps as shown. The defenders will also have the option to build trenches or counter saps; I am not sure how often this was actually done during the ECW (I did read of one siege in which the defenders counter-mined to prevent the blowing of a gate) but in the TV series the Lacey's are shown digging a trench outside the wall in anticipation of the Parliamentarians attack.

The table is 4x6 and started out like this:

The centre was removed:

Then I started the time consuming process of making 8 inch squares. I made a little jig to help with keeping the edges a even as possible:

Remember, I have to make nearly twice as many squares so there are lots of options for the attacker. There will be 28 plain grass squares and about another 20 squares that will be either trenches or saps. You can see why I am starting this now even though Trumpter's Salute isn't until March...

I mocked up a trench section on a foam off-cut to get an idea of what it might look like:

The trench may have to be a bit wider and smaller wood for the shooting step. Perhaps more rocks and gravel scattered around as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Brother Sergeant

Re: An ECW Siege Table Project

That is going to be one massive project!

Codsticker,

I actually watched that series when it aired on PBS.

Good luck on your board.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP Sisters of Battle with Standards - Selling loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

Utterly insane...I love it.

Some progress on this project. The due date is 2 months away so I have to get cracking. All the foam is cut and I have rough- carved the trenches and saps. The sections are- for the most part interchangeable. There are a handful of other pieces not shown.

The flat pieces already have the coating of tile adhesive/sanded grout mix and sand:

The table is divided into 2 pieces for easy transport. The section below shows the hill at the foot of the wall:

I couldn't help but finish off one piece:

Codsticker,

I see the progress.

Three questions: Do you think you can achieve the due date? Are the trenches supposed to be opposing or are you just fitting them into the picture? Have you sought therapy?

Cheers,

CB
    Interested in buying OOP Sisters of Battle with Standards - Selling loads of painted WFB Empire Units/Heroes and other bits for 40K and terrain

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Brown View Post
    Do you think you can achieve the due date?
    Yes, I do. I have quite a bit of time off over the next week and a half so I should get lots done.
    Are the trenches supposed to be opposing or are you just fitting them into the picture?
    The trenches and saps all come from the one side. The defenders have the option of building one defensive trench.
    Have you sought therapy?
    This is my therapy...

Just this morning I finished coating all the dug out areas with a mixture of Sculptamold and watered down brown paint (Sherwin Williams Half Caff for those that are interested):

This will sit for a few days. Some of the mixture is a little wetter than ideal and laid on a bit thick so it will be a while before it is cured.

A significant amount of progress over this past week.

Defensive structures were added to the various trenches and saps, including some Renedra plastic Gabions:

These were added to the attackers' trenches and cannon emplacements along with stakes and logs:

Both the attackers' trenches and the defenders trench got shooting steps:

The saps got pavises made from wood to protect the engineers from sniping. In reality these would have been mounted on wheels and pushed at the head of the sap aslthihgh I have seen some dug into the ground (these were made and cast in metal by a friend of mine):

That looks like a fun project! One day in the near future I hope to call my army building good enough and switch over to terrain.

Thank you CC. Making terrain is probably my favourite aspect of this hobby. Although, this project is getting a bit tiresome.

Something of an update... It doesn't look like much but it was quite a bit of time to get to this point.

I built a stone wall with a walk as well as a flagstone courtyard. IRL, the wall of Rocking ham castle is not very thick, there is no wallwalk and the "courtyard" is actually grass. However, in the TV series the camera shots are such that the try to make it look as if the wall has a walk and that would require a thicker wall. I did think about making one out of wood though...

I also made a couple of breached sections even though in practice we should only need one as historically once a breach was made resources would be put into an assault and cannon would quit pounding the wall (in that area anyway).

While the glue was drying on the foam, I managed to get the base layer of 2 mm static grass laid down.

Wow, this is an awesome project.

With just a few days to spare this project has come to conclusion.

A bit of a bitch to get the removable sections to fit together: some are too small and some are too loose. IF I ever do something like this again I am going to get a proxxon hot wire cutter.

I really like the Firedragon Games impressed foam but I would have preferred uneven stone for the walls instead of cut stone.

I decided to do a little photo shoot. Here the attacking commander observes the engineers digging a trench after they have dug a sap forwd:

Supplies are moved forward by mule train:

Enemy dragoons attempt a sally to repel the work party:

However, the work goes on; the cannons are brought forward and blast away at the wall:

The defenders watch nervously as their supplies run low:

At last a breach is made and the besieged prepare for the coming assault:

A very fun if time consuming project (with all the siege tiles it was like building two tables). Just a few details to works on: more barrels and crates- that sort of thing and then it is off to Vancouver for Trumpeter's Salute where the table will make it's debut in it's finished form.

I managed to finish off a building for the corner. It adds something a little more interesting on the wall side to look at but has no tactical value (ie. the defenders can't defend it and the attackers can't attack it).

Wow, what an amazing dynamic table. A real work of art.

If you ever get a Proxxon, then have a look at the add on tools by Gerard Boom. If I ever get one, I will raid his shop.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Thank you Little Joe; it was well received at Trumpeter's Salute and either runner up or 1st place on one of the days (I missed the announcement). Thanks for the link; I have visited the GeBoom store before so I will definitely be checking out his Proxxon accessories.

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

That's incredible! Well modelled and beautifully painted. I'm particularly impressed with your handling of the foam, and the painting on the stone. The building at the back is so well done and I want to have a picnic on the grass (after its recovered from the battle). I have a question, what glue do you use to stick foam to foam, and foam to other materials? And once stuck together, what do you use to prime the foam for painting. I've had blue foam stored in my hobby room for five years and still not used it yet, in part through not knowing where to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Danglebreech View Post
    That's incredible! Well modelled and beautifully painted. I'm particularly impressed with your handling of the foam, and the painting on the stone. The building at the back is so well done and I want to have a picnic on the grass (after its recovered from the battle). I have a question, what glue do you use to stick foam to foam, and foam to other materials? And once stuck together, what do you use to prime the foam for painting. I've had blue foam stored in my hobby room for five years and still not used it yet, in part through not knowing where to begin.
    Thank you AD- it was a very fun project but I am glad it is over. Styrodur and the hard pink/blue insulation foam I treat differently. For example I can use a glue gun on low to glue Styrodur but not the insulation foam. For that I use either NoMoreNails adhesive, Gorilla Glue as well as Gorilla Glue epoxy . Either types of foam can be primed with latex primer but you should give insulation foam a light sanding. Styrodur can actually be sprayed with Montana Gold spray paints without priming first but it does roughen the surface slightly. Not a big deal for stone work but worth mentioning.

Codsticker,

Beautiful board.

Cheers,

CB

Thank you Captain.

BTW, here is a link to my buddy's blog with pictures from the table in action at Trumpeter's Salute.
    Last edited by Codsticker; 06-06-2019 at 14:37.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast