Thread: The Slayers miniature adventures

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Slayers miniature adventures

Hello everyone finally making a blog here pretty much covering all the random things I do and the project jumping I'm sure we all enjoy doing :P
    I'm a big fan of terrain building and setting the scene for games nothing inspires a fantastic game like fantastic scenery to play on
    For some of the opening to this blog I'll share some of the terrain pieces I've done and the Gaming table I completed but will be adding more to as time goes on.
    I did make a Realm gate and Tower for some AoS games and they have been great fun to play on.
    First the Realm Gate:

And the Tower:

You can also follow my work on either Facebook or Instagram at: Full Scaled Conflict

Re: The Slayers miniature adventures

I also decided that I wanted to make some gaming tables for myself and got hold of all the necessary components over the course of the few years.

Enough MDF to make up 4 tables all cut into 2x2 foot squares.

The first table is the Trench wall of Martyrs set up, it was all measured and marked out before the mdf was routed out so that it could all sit in the board rather then on top.

Once the boards were routed out all the parts were glued in then gaps filled with wood putty. The first layer of texture was a mix of wood putty and fine/course sands and applied with a large paint brush, when the putty began to cure I stippled the top with the same brush to emulate uneven surface divots then once fully cured I washed the top with watered down pva then lightly sprinkled the sand mix over the top to deepen the texture and hide all the brush strokes.

I decided that a road should bisect the board to help with the visual feel and it not just be trenches and sand.
    I used the same wood putty sand mix but made the first layer slightly wetter with more sand for heavy coverage and made sure that all brush strokes followed the same path. The next layer I went thicker with the putty and lighter with the sand and followed the direction of the first layer, this layer helped to create divots and pot hole in the surface of the road as the putty dried quickly and lifted easily from the first layer when more pressure was applied helping to give it a heavily neglected and worn appearance. This will become clearer once it has been painted.

You can also follow my work on either Facebook or Instagram at: Full Scaled Conflict

After all the texturing was dry I went about sculpting the craters I used just woodputty mix with water making sure it was kept firm but moist enough to smooth out with my fingers and sculpting tools. Once dry I used a Dremel rotary tool to carve out and texture the craters.

All the walkways were preshaded the same as the buildings and airbrushed with hull red and sponged on metallic grey.

The field guns were painted the same as the buildings.

The road was spray painted deep blue grey and dry brushed with neutral grey. I then masked off areas and made road lines and stopping bays with matt white.

the sand was hit with desert yellow from a spray can then dark yellow touched here and there, neutral earth was airbrushed about the place and the craters were painted with it also. Everything was sealed with a gloss varnish and then desert yellow enamel was thinned down into a wash and liberally applied to everything and any excess was wiped away with a rag once it had stated to harden. Any ares that needed more cleaning were done with a cotton tip and enamel thinners before everything was sealed with a matt varnish.

I'm honestly not very happy with the end result of the sand and am planning on coming back to it to try and make it more realistic.
    Last edited by Pitted Sliced Slayer; 06-10-2018 at 07:31.

All the Russ's options

2 Manticores for some artillery support again magnetised the front hull options and the missiles are also magnetised so they can be removed after use and for storage. The missile platform also is magnetised so it can be folded away or simple removed.

6 Taurox's were needed for the Scions as transport so all these got the magnet treatment also so they can be swapped between the options.

Scion Command cont:

And the last two stand alone Primes without command squads.

Just to change the setting a little bit more to the fantasy I paint up Festus the leechlord and am very pleased with the results, except the one leech I missed

Painting was a mixture of Airbrush, spraycan and paintgun. All the buildings were primed with german grey spray paint they then were preshaded with neutral bluegrey I then sponged on dark green grey and dark blue grey in random places then went over it all this a heavily thinned german grey from the airbrush so all the layers would show through.

A commissioned project that has come and gone was a Scion army with plenty of tanks and vehicles with most of the options magnetised for more flexible gaming.
    The Baneblade had 4 options made from the kit so it can change from the Baneblade to the Hellhammer then a quick swap of the hulls to the Shadowsword and the Stormsword.

5 Leman Russ's were in the mix again with all their options magnetised. Three commanders were also magnetised with the hatch pinned so it could be opened or closed, Pask by far I enjoyed with the blank eyes he reminds me of M Bison from street fighter

All the HQ elements of the Scions are complete along with all the bases to go with the entire army. 5 Primes and 3 command squads tooled up for mayhem using plasma guns from the loose space marines blister and melta guns.