Thread: Dicky Does All Sorts of Assorted 40k Sci-Fi That Comes to Mind

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dicky Does All Sorts of Assorted 40k Sci-Fi That Comes to Mind

Hi guys,

Well it has been a long, long time since I was last here, but I got me a hankering to get back in to old school forum-ing after Warseer going down…

So I have always been an avid modeller/painter (although much less so on actually playing games!) and I thought it was about time I set up a general area where I could post all of the assorted 40k (and probably some other sci-fi!) minis in one place. I do seem to have quite a variety of bits and bobs and rather than spreading it over assorted logs that will get sporadically updated getting it all in one place seemed prudent

I’m also just starting out with commission painting too so this can serve a dual (Triple? Quadruple?) purpose…!

So anyway, those of you long in the tooth (and in the beard!) might remember me from a long while back. I was primarily beavering away converting a marine army for years! Any old guard members might remember this mini:

This mini and I go waaaay back - it feels deeply retro to me now but I do still have a soft spot for it.

And you can find the whole project log from inception to completion here

Of course in the time I’ve been away from 40k the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater and everything feels both more, and less, kooky nowadays. GW have been churning out new minis and games that really ‘prod buttock’ and serve to tickle the old school 2nd edition gamer in me!

I will be adding to this post with a variety of pics of what I have on the go at the moment and will keep adding to it over time so look forward to catching up with Warseerites old and new.

Cheers,
    Dicky
    My Marine Project now finally with 1750pts completed... and I'm going to put this force to bed for the time being.
    My next project Khornate Gorewing - a converted all terminator Khornate warband!
    Other things I have messed about with a little are Adeptus Mechanicus and a foray in to WFB with Night Goblins that are a lot harder than you'd think for an obsessive compulsive converter!
    Lastly, my Photobucket Gallery

Re: Dicky Does All Sorts of Assorted 40k Sci-Fi That Comes to Mind

So, my current latest modelling and gaming obsession is Adepts Titanicus - the game of massive stomp robots! Only a couple of chaps in my have picked this game up but we’ll be having a narrative campaign soon which should be fun so I’ve been working on finishing up a full Legio Astorum (Warp Runners) Axiom Maniple. They were always my favourite colour scheme back in the day.

I absolutely love the minis for this game, so much detail and the scale at last not only allows you to have a full legio maniple but to also have one in a game that works properly rather than just a stationary gun platform! So with no further ado on with the minis….

Here is a group shot of a full Axiom Maniple supported by a knight banner of House Hawkshroud

I have been drawing a lot of inspiration from the colour plates from the FW Vraks book which did a great job of updating this legit and making it a bit more contemporary and a lot less 80’s!

The Warlord Merits Castigato has just recently got some added plasma-pew-pew and I’ve finally finished up all the appropriate heraldic banners a god engine like this needs.
    ]
    Although I notice now that I think I still need to highlight much of the gold trim on this - I obviously gave up and then forgot! There is a lot of very tiny trim on this mini in fairness….

I’ve just finished up the second Reaver Praetorian for the maniple too and, of course, I couldn’t resist 2nd edition style hazard stripes on the power fist! I am having so much fun with all the different heraldic armour markings for each titan so they can all have unique honours like the medieval knights they are meant to be!

And the first Reaver Inviglia Alpha I did that functions as a tank buster.

And a close up of the carapace shown here - the Latinate inscription translates as ‘Star Hammer’ which felt suitable!

The Warhound squadron are the only ones to rock any of the old school flames on their armour - and even then I’m still not sold. Maybe I just need to make a smaller scale flame mask to be happier.
    My Marine Project now finally with 1750pts completed... and I'm going to put this force to bed for the time being.
    My next project Khornate Gorewing - a converted all terminator Khornate warband!
    Other things I have messed about with a little are Adeptus Mechanicus and a foray in to WFB with Night Goblins that are a lot harder than you'd think for an obsessive compulsive converter!

And lastly a knight banner from House Hawkshroud in support. They get bonuses for having more than three knights and, even though there aren’t rules for Barons in game (yet!) I create a Baron to lead them with a suitably punchy close combat weapon and a back banner like back in the day. Although actually it’s the knight scion with a (scratchbuilt) rocket pod that is the technical leader in game….

And a close up of the banner on the Baron

Thanks for looking and more to follow soon!

Cheers,
    Dicky

Next up are some individual Dark Angels…

As I make a start out in to commission painting I thought I’d better actually focus on doing some ‘quick’ things - so this is a quickly painted DA I dug out from an old box set (Dark vengeance I believe…?). Knocked this chap out in an hour and think he’s to a pretty fair quality (although a little dusty in this pic...)

And for something a bit different here’s a terminator (I think from the same boxed set) done to a higher level.

Thanks for looking and more assorted 40k bits to follow soon.

Cheers,
    Dicky

For something less Imperial this is a mini that I painted up for fun. The mini itself is done but it still needs a scenic base creating. My plan is to cut a suitable interestingly shaped piece of wood as a plinth and the mini will be depicted flying low over water. Setting it over water I thought the anti-grav generators would bow out the water in front and under the jet bike which should create a lot of potential for fun effects.

Cheers,
    Dicky

Some nice stuff, the maniple is cool and I like the use of the SM power fist on the knight. Makes me want to spend money
    Flashheart: Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves. I wouldn't want them on my conscience, not when they ought to be on my face!

Really nice work there Dicky impressive stuff

Really nice work, especially on the titans, love the paint-jobs and bases with cracked asphalt.
    Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    i've gotta say that that happens to be CROTCHSWORD, SLAYER OF WORLDS!