Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Is this forum dying?

Re: Is this forum dying?

As far as I can see, no the new owners haven't been involved in this thread (if I'm wrong I'm sorry), we do appear to have had at least 1 mod in the thread so hopefully their is an understanding at the 'senior' level that we are seeing a problme.

I do agree with lost eggs view that a lot of the forums need to be stripped back. What is Warseers USP (Unique Selling Point), I think it is the galleries and the PLOG, do these need to be made more front and center to allow an easier navigation of the site?

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

I've passed on the message in the past, and the good Captain as well.
    This is a forum run by volunteers though, and free time is a limited resource :-/

That being said, I'll raise the issue with the admins again.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Sad to see this, I used to use this forum constantly

Prince of Croooows! Garanaul the Black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toozawastes View Post
    Sad to see this, I used to use this forum constantly
    Maybe I'm reading the thread wrong, but it doesn't seem like it has to be a certainty.

Using the site as much as possible and telling your friends and gaming group about it might be helpful, I know I'll be doing the same.
    Hey Twin Peaks fans! Check out my podcast, It's Happy Hour in France on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, and RadioPublic!

It's on Random: A mostly Chaos Space Marine PLOG.

++Veteran of the Long Painting War++

I try to do that too, but it's often hard to keep a thread going if there's only three people posting in it...

Did the issue really happen after the mass security problem that caused requirement of many to re-register? IIRC, that was the time when I really slowed my use of this forum and I also lost access to my original account, so had to start over.
    Three Roads Dreamt - My novella collection is now available! Action Suspense, Fantasy and Sci-Fi

Check out REALM LORDS-For Castle and Country! KS page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=54b51f2f

Prince of Croooows! Garanaul the Black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    I try to do that too, but it's often hard to keep a thread going if there's only three people posting in it...
    This is unfortunately very true
    Hey Twin Peaks fans! Check out my podcast, It's Happy Hour in France on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, and RadioPublic!

It's on Random: A mostly Chaos Space Marine PLOG.

++Veteran of the Long Painting War++

Quote Originally Posted by MDSW View Post
    Did the issue really happen after the mass security problem that caused requirement of many to re-register? IIRC, that was the time when I really slowed my use of this forum and I also lost access to my original account, so had to start over.
    The site was thoroughly sabotaged by the hacking attempt and was down for months.
    It wasn't guaranteed it would ever come online again, so people started to look for other wargaming communities.
    Most of these people never came back here afterwards.

The problem that the images of the site were mostly lost added to the issue, in that many project logs that drew a lot of traffic here were now essentially empty threads.
    Last edited by Arnizipal; 23-06-2020 at 10:01.

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

I think I said this on the Warseer Facebook group, but it's worth repeating here as well:

The dedicated forum is largely a dying breed, not just Warseer. I remember in the old aughts I had so many different logins. Logins for BSG forums, Portent/Warseer, Dakka, Dysartes, 40kOnline, EldarOnline, a Stargate forum... I wasn't the only one. Then came social media and we only needed one login, but the features weren't as good. It took time to catch up, but accessibility has won the day.

Reading through this thread, it's also obvious that a lot of the new blood in the hobby doesn't even consider creating a new account. They subscribe to a new subreddit, join a Facebook group, or follow a new Instagram hashtag, etc. And the names I recognize here are... yeah. Many of the comments here come off as old men lamenting the "good ole days." GW has a larger playerbase than ever before, all around the world, and has largely curbed their worst price spike impulses, and given players a ton of new, affordable ways to join the game — Warcry, Killteam, etc. let people engage with the universe with less money invested than ever, even before inflation. And yet everyone seems to be ignoring the good to focus on the bad.

If I were just joining the hobby, I'm not sure I'd see Warseer as a particularly warm or welcoming place to engage with, especially when you have what is genuinely a wholesome hobby space like /r/Warhammer welcoming and giving genuine advice.

There's also the shift to mobile devices. Posting on vB and other fora from mobile is awful, and I'm someone who is very comfortable with a touchscreen keyboard (also, the whining about phone keyboards also makes everyone here seem very old to someone under 30).

On top of these issues, Warseer was hit with the aforementioned hacks, the security issues, the Photobucket death, the loss of galleries and owners who... don't care? Who even owns it? Why do they want to own it exactly? They're clearly not involved in the community, and I can't see ad sales here really bringing in much to cover costs. There's a reason B&C has to have a donation drive and Warseer's traffic is dwarfed by theirs.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    Who even owns it? Why do they want to own it exactly? They're clearly not involved in the community, and I can't see ad sales here really bringing in much to cover costs.
    Those are very good questions.

It seems to me that back in the days of Portent, and the early days of WarSeer, there was a feeling of purpose and direction. The current WarSeer though... I just don't know... It seems to be mainly idling, with no particular direction or purpose.

I am 42 and feel young in heart, I also do not care much for many of the new social media technologies. First one I encountered was ICQ and where is it today? That is not to say there is no use case I would support for social media or communication technology in general. I use Discord to see when digital games can be had, works like a charm. I also use it as a communication tool because many already use it, I can adapt. But after looking at Facebook's offer and terms of service, I simply refuse to use it. I would turn off WhatsApp instantly if I could get some friends moving to more secure/better alternatives.

A forum has a unique structure set up for long time storage and content control. I use these features extensively every day to stay organised and get wargaming related tasks done. More than ever before and it would be impossible with just social media. I disagree on the old vs young argument, it's more a "needs" thing. Social media, VOIP communication technology and forums are all tools with distinctive use cases. What do you want to do and what social needs do you have?
    This of course goes both ways and attractivity is generated from offering something that fills a void. Warseer has the unique drawback of having been attacked badly and a changing market while down. Market being the key word, you need a product that fills a need. If we are honest, then sharing images of your finished models for a pad on the back is more attractive on social media. It has a larger crowd, less maintenance and arguably that can push you to work more/faster. The need for rumors has changed, not in a way I understand, but then again, what do I know of marketing.

Warseer still has legacy and clout, it's a recognisable brand. I still enjoy it.
    Beyond that I like to get to know people over the years, not just those that scream loudest for attention. I want to choose my consumption, to use a more modern analogy: Warseer and fora in general could aim to be the Netflix of wargaming. It won't be the old structure and it should not even be the old niche group of people. Wargaming is evolving and expanding, I wanted to be a part of that and that's the reason why I joined another forum. Still happy to come here as well.

Life is change and change is life.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    Those are very good questions.

It seems to me that back in the days of Portent, and the early days of WarSeer, there was a feeling of purpose and direction. The current WarSeer though... I just don't know... It seems to be mainly idling, with no particular direction or purpose.
    I knew Pete. I know what Pete wanted. I knew why Pete owned and ran Portent. I understand, fully, why he threw in the towel after the big server crash and hack in 2005. That Warseer exists today is a testament to the community that was built there. As much as people out there would like to deny it, Warseer was formed to be a successor. When we chose the name, we chose it because Portent was THE place for rumours, and we should lean into it.

I think it's been through 2-3 owners now, and no one either on the Facebook Group or here has stepped forward to say "I am the owner." I've seen a couple of mods and admins self-identify, but no ownership. Why? What purpose does this obfuscation serve?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    Warseer and fora in general
    You and I are the only people I have seen since Alekenesis stopped posting on Portent that use the correct plural of forum.

For what it is worth.
    I kind of hate the default settings for viewing the forum, it makes it look like there is a lot of 0 reply threads from people desperately trying to restart a dead forum where nothing is ever going on and makes it difficult to become invested.

The sheer number of subforums that have less than 10 threads, the fact that in the wargaming section GW is 2nd from the top, WarSeer had always been almost entirely focused GW stuff, the new owners seemed to try and get away from that and encourage what was already even at WarSeers zenith a niche other market compared to GW, the rumors and news section at the top broken into several sub forums, a role play section divided into countless sections, do we really need a separate D&D section!?.

A huge condensing of the sub forums would at least bring the home page to one/two screens, also, why does the site still have the original welcome type page with warseer reborn, its just an extra annoying click to get to the forums?!
    Get your Denim Jaeskit on and relive the Glory Days

<*>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5