Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this forum dying?

Re: Is this form dying?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    I think we lost a lot of folks to Dakka when Warseer went down.
    That forum is still doing well despite the current rumour climate and GW's long history of price hikes.
    Okay, you got a point there. Maybe it really just was the downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Okay, you got a point there. Maybe it really just was the downtime.
    Long, long ago - far off in the mists of time - there were some seriously heated arguments in Random Musings and other threads.

The banhammer was wielded with great zeal in those days, and "strikes" abounded. I think this might even have been in the time of Portent.

Anyhow, in an effort to cool things off, I searched out other forums, including Dakka.

It seemed very juvenile compared to caliber of discussion here. Slowly things cooled off and people came back.

Crazy to think of that level of vitriol on Warseer today.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try the revised and expanded Conqueror: Fields of Victory!
    Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wonder what could have happened if someone competent wrote them? Look no further.
    A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.
    Check out my bestselling book about the Spanish Civil War.

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Re: Is this forum dying?

I know, I went there in the past as well but it didn't quite feel like home.
    These days there's far more discussion there than here though so I lurk on Dakka just to keep up with stuff...
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Quote Originally Posted by arnizipal View Post
    i know, i went there in the past as well but it didn't quite feel like home.
    These days there's far more discussion there than here though so i lurk on dakka just to keep up with stuff...
    t r a i t o r !!!!
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try the revised and expanded Conqueror: Fields of Victory!
    Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wonder what could have happened if someone competent wrote them? Look no further.

I know, I went there in the past as well but it didn't quite feel like home.
    These days there's far more discussion there than here though so I lurk on Dakka just to keep up with stuff...
    Put your pants back on son!
    Get your Denim Jaeskit on and relive the Glory Days

<*>

I think we lost a lot of folks to Dakka when Warseer went down.
    That forum is still doing well despite the current rumour climate and GW's long history of price hikes.
    I'm sure that's the case. The question becomes: how to get those and others while leveraging the inherent qualitative edge of Warseer?

Reorganizing the forums seems easy, but also highlighting discussions would be another. I know there are other indy designers or people pushing their own rules. Why not do a weekly feature to generate discussion and interest? It would set us apart and maybe attract other people interested in rules discussions.

Seriously, the rules forum was once one of the most busy ones here and now it's totally dead. People view, but don't comment. Doing a feature (say on the splash/entry page) would jazz things up a bit.

As for rumors, I stopped caring 10 years ago or more, because I wasn't buying more GW rules - but I did like the discussions, which is why I came back.

Dakka and other sites always seemed louder and ruder, less open to new ideas and concepts. Warseer was the place where more thoughtful people congregated. Play to that strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar von Toussaint View Post
    Warseer was the place where more thoughtful people congregated.
    Have you ever seen the Chaos Wastes?

As for rumors, I stopped caring 10 years ago or more, because I wasn't buying more GW rules - but I did like the discussions, which is why I came back.
    Well honestly there is no more need for it as the rules set is now pretty much locked in with this new format. they may tweak some points costs here and there or change some unit restrictions but aside from power creep via stratagems there really has not been any game rules changes since 8th came out.

I just got back into playing some 5th edition games with friends (battle report is up) and back then I think army rules changes via codex release were more of a big thing because the volume of firepower with the effects of cover were so different. things were a lot harder to kill unless you brought the right weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by mughi3 View Post
    Well honestly there is no more need for it as the rules set is now pretty much locked in with this new format. they may tweak some points costs here and there or change some unit restrictions but aside from power creep via stratagems there really has not been any game rules changes since 8th came out.
    That's for 40K, but what about AoS?

That's for 40K, but what about AoS?
    People still play AOS? I thought all the fantasy players went over to kings of war

Seriously we have a group that comes into our shop about once a month for a big round of AOS battles but it isn't much more or less popular than fantasy was in our area.

I'm still playing WFB 8th a couple of times per year.
    Some new models for AoS aren't bad. From what I can see in the newsletter, rules for AoS do still get tweaked and updated (which is why I was asking).

Brother Sergeant

Sadly Warseer has had it. Classic case in point, last post on the entire random musings thread was 2nd June. I used to love the odd troll here, wrote a blatant trolly post on the RPG board, its still there! There was a time T-Tauri would have been on that in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by starkravindave View Post
    its still there!
    No it isn't

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Man, this is... an interesting read.

The points about the downtime and data loss definitely drove a lot of people away but... so is the "GW is dying" attitude, partially because it's wrong. As of this this week, they reported profits doubling compared, their biggest sales year EVER, and continued growth. Competitors aside from Fantasy Flight are having a very, very hard time shifting product because GW is absolutely dominating at the moment. Companies that expanded during GW's crappy years (before Rowntree took over as CEO and forced Kirby out) are the ones really feeling the hurt more than anyone. FF's strength is that they have Star Wars.

Warseer got a somewhat deserved reputation as "Whineseer" for a reason, and it seems many of the voices that caused that reputation are the ones that have stuck around. Newcomers come in, notice, and leave. They seem to go to Reddit. Go look at /r/Warhammer or /r/Warhammer40k and whens someone posts "Hey, just joined the hobby!" with a pic of a box, or "played a long time ago, coming back!" (which there are A LOT of) you see a FLOOD of encouragement and positive messaging.

I don't see that here, and that's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    Man, this is... an interesting read.

Warseer got a somewhat deserved reputation as "Whineseer" for a reason, and it seems many of the voices that caused that reputation are the ones that have stuck around. Newcomers come in, notice, and leave. They seem to go to Reddit. Go look at /r/Warhammer or /r/Warhammer40k and whens someone posts "Hey, just joined the hobby!" with a pic of a box, or "played a long time ago, coming back!" (which there are A LOT of) you see a FLOOD of encouragement and positive messaging.

You don't see either elements, though. No one's posting the "hey I'm new and excited" so no one can post the positive message.

I will reiterate what I've said to the mods elsewhere that we need to collapse the site, and wipe out the empty forums to create more discussion.

But that will only go so far. The rules development section was hopping for a long time and now it's deserted. It was always hugely supportive, with people jumping in to say "hmm, interesting!" whenever someone offered something.

To be sure, I have in the past given what may have seemed stern advice, but it was based on the cruel lessons of my own experience (don't get ahead of where you are in the design process!).

So it's more than just "we're a bunch of negative ninnies."

GW is absolutely dominating at the moment.
    While they have made some good improvements some things will always be the same- GW has always been the "Microsoft" (or even the classic BORG) of wargaming. people play it and build communities because of the lore. it keeps them coming or coming back. that coupled with the "I can go anywhere in the world and get a game" has given it the high perch. because no matter how good a game system is if there isn't a community to support it there is no point in the investment of the hobby. I am also not surprised at their profit margin, even though they make fantastic kits they are still horribly overpriced. the jokes about them over costing product and high pressure sales tactics exist for a reason.

Well that's kinda the point of this topic- we have loads of positive and interesting topics posted with thousands of views, and nobody leaves a comment either positive or negative.

It seems like media oversaturation, a limited base population moving from a few major forums like dakka and warseer to media overload with dicscord,reddit, GW forums, and other niche sources that offer immediate gratification.

I've been playing 40K since late 3rd edition and I sadly didn't learn my lesson and built something like 8 armies (just look at the picture gallery in my profile) from official GW product. it took me getting burned by 6th edition to really appreciate the variety granted by other systems. while not as mainline popular as 40K- infinity, dust, classic battletech(I have been playing that since 1987), warmachine and so on all play very different than 40K and provide a nice refreshing change instead of just building yet another 40K variant army.

Hey guys, guess I'm an old timer by now, though I wasn't here during the days of Portent. Just checking in on the board... I think a lot of the traffic this site used to accrue has gone to reddit and pinterest.
    Quote Originally Posted by L192837465 View Post
    i've gotta say that that happens to be CROTCHSWORD, SLAYER OF WORLDS!

It all depends on if the newish (now) owners want to bring it back to its Zenith, if so they need to advertise the forum on facebook etc with a targeted ad campaign
    Get your Denim Jaeskit on and relive the Glory Days

<*>

Warseer was the first forum I joined, never experienced any of the whineseer stuff myself. The Great Fall coupled with MuppetBucket nonsense kept me away for a long time but I recently decided to get back to my roots and start posting again on the forum that started it all! Repaired all my old threads but I’ll be starting a new one instead of necroing the old ‘uns. I think that coupled with my commenting more proactively is what I can give back right now.

I also support pruning the sub forums to stream line the site. Admittedly some of them would make more sense with more posts on them but streamlining goes a long way to making the site first impression friendly.

There is almost always more than one cause.

The down time hurt (twice wasn’t it?), the loss of rumours, the mass flame war that was the AoS launch (which resulted in the depopulation of the Fantasy section). We lost many of the galleries to photobucket and I think many people gave up on their PLOGs. There were some issue with the interface(or whatever the computer-word is). Forums are also shrinking in general.

It’s a lot of things.

I guess the next question is how we get new people onboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted

The Cleave-man Browns

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast