Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost Egg Dabbles in 2nd Edition 40k...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lost Egg Dabbles in 2nd Edition 40k...

...well that's the plan. My basic idea is to return to this venerable ruleset and see if it really was as fun as I remember. But, I'm not exactly flush with cash or time at the moment so I'm thinking of a firefight...2nd Edition rules but with all models acting as Independent Characters.

For this little project I want a few simple goals...then I might actually finish it So I will be using my foldable board (approx. 22"x30"); I will also need to build the forces and some terrain, here's what I have in mind...

• Marines vs. Orks - 2 Patrols of 200pts each
    • Building - Retro Ork style building of some description
    • Wood - Here I'm thinking the classic green and red spiky trees from all the 2nd Edition battle reports
    • Rocky Hill - Who doesn't like clambering over rocks?!

I've only written the Marine list so far and have yet to come up with any kind of solid plans for the terrain; I will need to block it out to make sure the board has the right density of terrain for a good scrap.

In the mean time here's a pic of the first Ork, painted as a test a few months ago (my projects tend to move slowly)...

And a classic pic from White Dwarf to show you the sort of thing I'm thinking...

Re: Lost Egg Dabbles in 2nd Edition 40k...

Cool. We need retro projects like this for older hobbyists.

The orc looks intelligent and that terrain looks like it will hurt a lot, any idea what the green blobs are?

Orc buildings just need a box and loads of bits/paper to stick onto it.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 0

@Imperator Moss - Thanks matey!

@Little Joe - I think its foam with tissue paper or maybe filler over the top stuck with cocktail sticks. I always loved those weird trees when I saw them in battle reports. These Ork buildings are a bit more subtle than those from 3rd Ed & Gorkamorka onwards. I have one of the Maelstrom's Edge terrain sprues to provide windows etc but apart from that I will be using the Ork Building terrain article from White Dwarf 134. I guess RT & 2nd Ed Orks had to be at least a bit more intelligent as they had to build things that worked rather than wish really hard
    Last edited by Lost Egg; 28-08-2019 at 21:13.

So...the project is progressing slowly as I have been busy compiling all the White Dwarf Q&As for 2nd Edition as well as all the Wargear & Vehicle Cards. But that's done now so I have been building the first marine but while I'm waiting for the Green Stuff to go off I thought I'd share a bit about my DIY chapter of Marines...

Cúnna Dubh
    “Valiant and True!”

The Cúnna Dubh1 are a Space Marine Chapter operating from the homeworld of Mann. Much of the records of their founding have been lost but what is known is that during the early years of the chapter they became embroiled in a bitter conflict with a species known only as the Muntab2.

The records of the conflict have long since been lost, partly due as a side effect of the Muntab’s temporal hibernation3. This unique evolutionary trait allows these foul xenos to leapfrog through time as they sleep. Each time the Cúnna Dubh saw victory and the eradication of the species their defeated foe would break forth from their hibernation cycle to fight anew. Though they knew victory after victory the temporal tactic of the Muntab saw the marines of the Cúnna Dubh worn down, suffering huge loses before the conflict finally ended4.

With the terrible loses suffered in the Muntab wars the Cúnna Dubh found themselves severely depleted. Unable to engage the Emperor’s enemies in wholesale war they adapted, focusing their training and resources on stealth operations and surgical strikes5. The current Chapter Master, Setanta Crowfriend, dispatches these strike teams to actively seek out any emerging threats and neutralise them before they become a concern. Should a more serious threat be identified then multiple strike teams converge swiftly and precisely to bring the conflict to a conclusion before their enemies often know what has hit them.

1. The name of the chapter translates as the Black Wolves, Black Hounds and the Black Dogs, interestingly the marines of Cúanna Dubh seem to use all three translations interchangeably.

2. It should be noted that the scant records suggest the Muntab originated in the distant past on the Cúnna Dubh’s homeworld or on one of the nearby planets. Presumably, all that was left of the civilisation was ruins when an Imperial Expedition originally settled the system.

3. The exact nature as to how Imperial Records have been affected is of grave concern and an Inquisitor of the Ordo Xenos has been charged with investigating; it has been theorised that repeated exposure to temporal disturbance holds the key to understanding this mystery.

4. Though the Imperium has declared victory over the Muntab the Cúnna Dubh are not so sure and still maintain a constant vigil should they return.

5. No doubt the tenacious and independent traits so highly praised by the endemically warring, tribal peoples of their homeworld had put them is good stead for such brutal but limited engagements.
    Last edited by Lost Egg; 28-08-2019 at 21:16.

Here be the first of (hopefully) many marines...

I built this fella from Forge Worlds excellent mkVI kit which has been greatly improved upon since I first got some a few years ago; I think FW updated it fairly recently, removing the gun hand, marking up the arms into pairs (a blooming sensible idea if you ask me with each arm pair marked on the inside of the arm-torso join which also has the added benefit of making a stronger bond) and a bit of a tidy as these casts are much better than I have had before. I also used mkIV plastic bolt guns, pouches and grenades plus there will be more of those bits popping up in the future.

To help give him a bit of height I glued a 1mm bit of plasticard under his foot then GS the base to get rid of that flat look. Apart from that I stuck a ball of GS under his helmet so it stood slightly higher.

Looking good so far like the backstory, I'm interested to see the colour scheme

Thanks, me too Painting has started and so far he looks ok. I think its gunna be one of those schemes that kinda come together at the end. But, basically he's gunna have black armour with combined squad marking and chapter symbol on his unstudded shoulder pad. The kinda look I am aiming for is special forces, dark & sleek. When I get to tanks then I will do camo.

Lost Egg,

So are you looking for old vehicle cards? I have a collection from WD and some other sources.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Interested in buying Kasrkin Special Weapon Trooper, OOP Sisters of Battle with Standard, OOP Dark Reaper weapons

I think I have them all as scans thanks.

Progress on my first marines is slow but he's getting there...hopefully by the end of the week he'll be finished...hopefully...

Finally an update with a newly painted mini...

Now I would like to say that the flash doesn't show off the black armour very well and makes it look like I have gone way over the top with the drybrushing...I can assure you its much more subdued. The markings I've taken from the RT Space Marine painting guide. Overall I am happy with how he has turned out and should hopefully start building two more marines tonight.

Looks ace, nice job

Thanks nitromors!

Two more marines are ready for some paint...

The legs are a little awkward on these minis so I think the first squad will be built as is but after that I will have to have a go at bending them slightly, which should also help to add a bit more variation.

Looking good!

I still play 2nd and have since way back win (with a slight detour into 3rd before getting sick of it).

One of the (many) strengths of 2nd is the small model count needed to play. The old boxed set was a wonderful value. You could buy a box, have a friend do the same and trade opposing models and each have more than 1,000 points!

Ah, the good old days.

Click my sig if you want some unofficial but widely-used rules conventions. I also have a faster close combat resolution method - very similar results lots less dice rolling.
    Last edited by Commissar von Toussaint; 05-08-2019 at 15:10.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try the revised and expanded Conqueror: Fields of Victory!

Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wish someone came up with a decent story about how a decadent galactic commonwealth descended into chaos and civil war? Look no further.
    A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.

Thanks matey!

Well the next two marines are nearing completion so I have started to turn my hand to planning...

I've got a small campaign of 3 missions in mind and above you can see my plans for the terrain...if you can make any sense of it that is
    Last edited by Lost Egg; 28-08-2019 at 21:10.

Two more Battle Brothers for the cause!

Here's the Squad so far...well more like a Fire Team I guess

Again the flash has reduced the subtlety of the black armour.

I have started using a new matt varnish which is simply brilliant...it's actually matt! It's called Ultra-Matt Lucky Varnish by Ammo mig. The varnish seems a little thin but as I say its actually matt with no sheen, unlike all the other 'matt' varnishes I tried. It was recommended by Lindybeige on his Facebook page and its spot on.

Next up I am having a slight hiatus for a couple of days as I try to finish Zelda Spirit Tracks on my DS...its not a great game but I am almost done and my son, who is also playing it, is eager to finish too. Hopefully it will only take a couple of days at the most but either way I will start playing about with both the next two marines this coming week but also a bit of terrain, I think I will have a crack at a small cluster of rocks...
    Last edited by Lost Egg; 28-08-2019 at 21:11.

Some WIP shots of my first terrain piece...me and the wife have affectionately dubbed this one Cock-Rock

I know the rocks are a bit blocky but as I want to be able to securely place models on them its one of those realism vs. practicality trade-offs. I've sized the rocks to ensure the piece provides LoS blocking as well as some solid 50% cover.

So far it's a black plasticard base with insulation foam carved to shape and stuck down with Decorators Caulk which I then blended to the base. I've not used caulk for this before and its OK but I still plan on poking some filler in and around though I'm not sure how this will settle over the caulk.

I've since refined the shape of the main rock and will be applying some filler tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I can then glue on some sand & small pebbles...though I may need to top up the filler a touch first.

Mors Cattus Moderatus DeathCat147's Avatar

Love the beakies

Thankies DeathCat...Beakies are the best!

Looking great! Keep it up man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast