Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lost Egg Dabbles in 2nd Edition 40k...

Re: Lost Egg Dabbles in 2nd Edition 40k...

Cheers.

Well I had a bit of a problem with my rock feature which I didn't spot till after I undercoated it...it was wobbly. I realised after I had caulked it I had left it to dry on top of a plaster tub which left the base slightly dish shaped so I ripped it off that and rebased it. While working on that I also decided I'd have a crack at making the first terrain feature with the alien plants...

They are both ready for undercoating later so hopefully I can start painting them today. Once these two are done I think I might go back and build the last two marines.

I've also been working on a small 4 page campaign booklet but its still very much WIP and is little more than a rough outline. However, I have decided on a title...Trouble on New Hope...maybe its all the Star Wars I have been watching recently...

My first couple of terrain pieces are painted...

As expected the flash has kinda brightened everything up. There is nothing really revolutionary here but then I was really just aiming for solid terrain that will serve as a backdrop so I'm happy. I'm glad I went with a less luminous version of the alien trees than GW had back-in-the-day. Gaming-wise there are multiple levels on both pieces, to provide cover and block LoS.

I think next up I will build the last two marines and then I can start on the first unit of Orks...

Nice!

I don't have a lot of "alien" terrain, using mostly rocks and woodland from other genres.

My truly "40K" terrain is highly urban, which is where I think the game really comes into its own. In fact, that was what turned my head all those years ago and convinced me to move away from WHFB.

Another thing I do in "open" battlefields is make some crescent-shaped fighting positions so that models reasonable cover. It's a nice alternative to trench systems.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try the revised and expanded Conqueror: Fields of Victory!

Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wish someone came up with a decent story about how a decadent galactic commonwealth descended into chaos and civil war? Look no further.
    A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.

Great terrain, you will learn to fear the spiky plants.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar von Toussaint View Post
    Nice!

I don't have a lot of "alien" terrain, using mostly rocks and woodland from other genres.

My truly "40K" terrain is highly urban, which is where I think the game really comes into its own. In fact, that was what turned my head all those years ago and convinced me to move away from WHFB.

Another thing I do in "open" battlefields is make some crescent-shaped fighting positions so that models reasonable cover. It's a nice alternative to trench systems.
    Thanks I've created a small narrative campaign that I am building all this for; the campaign is somewhere between a Star Trek away mission and a FireFly episode. I'm going to be using a Kill Team size board (22"x30") so is pretty small and along with these two pieces I will be making up a larger rock formation, a larger group of alien trees as well as a cliff face with mine entrance and a mining outpost building so the board should be fairly terrain heavy. I may well add another one or two pieces if needed too. With each terrain piece having multiple levels this should bring that same kind of feel of an urban setting, with kill zones and limited fields of fire but with a more organic aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    Great terrain, you will learn to fear the spiky plants.
    Cheers...so far I have been lucky...so far...

The last two marines are finished...well being built anyway...

Here we have a third trooper and the Veteran Sergeant 'Bloody' Finn. Finn is armed with a power fist and a converted storm bolter, using the Combi-Weapon Wargear Card. For Finn's pose I was going for the look from the front cover of Legion. Both these minis have the exact same legs so I tried to make them look different by playing with angles and whatnot.

I will get these undercoated tomorrow and start painting...

They took a bit longer than I'd hoped but the last two marines are done...

Blimey the flash doesn't do them any justice. I'm pretty happy with how they came out...I did try some transfers on Finn's power fist butI just prefer it plain.

So now the whole squad is finished...behold Finn's Men!

I decided to take a pic using my new terrain and my foldable game board, nothing too grand but I'm getting there; just 10 minis, a building, an alien forest and a big pile'O rocks to go.

Next up I'm going to start on the first Ork unit...Rippa's Boyz!

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Looks great.
    What type of Power Armour are you going for?
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Cheers Arnizipal. The marines are Forge Worlds mkVI with weapons and bits from the Calth marines boxset.

Don’t worry about the flash, these chaps look very nice. So good to see a homage to the Womble Marines and carried out nicely

Cheers matey!

I forgot to snap a WIP pic of the next 3 Orks so apologies for that...but here's a pic of them painted up...

Somehow I missed the random flecks of static grass...doh! I will have to tidy them up. These guys are the first 3 members of Rippa's Squad; the transfers are from a classic 2nd Ed Snakebite sheet and worked pretty well. I'm not really thinking of these as belonging to any clan but rather a group of raiders so I just went with designs that looked cool.

Underneath the paint these minis had a bit of basic GS work to help smooth joints and to add a pouch. I also added a bottle to the red-head, it came from a World of Twilight accessory sprue. I was after adding something a little more to the mini but the extras from the old Ork sprue are fairly limited in quantity so I rummaged in my bits box; the first scenario in my mini narrative campaign is the marines attempting to capture a building from some drunken Orks so the bottle seemed fitting.

Next up I have some ebaying to do then I can start building Nob Rippa and another couple of boyz, one wielding a flamer...

That's a stellar paint job making these old school miniatures look good, nice skin tones.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 0

Thanks Little Joe.

I got the next three Orks built...

...sadly I don't have anywhere near as many stikbombz as I'd like to put on these guys and I can't quite face sculpting loads of them Apart from that I'm fairly happy with these guys. Nob Rippa is the fella in the middle; I'm not completely convinced by his helmet but it kinda works; I was going to try and sculpt some strapping for his melta bomb & binoculars but it'd be tricky to do without it looking really bulky.

I am undercoating these guys and might start painting them later. I have also started on the next job, three more terrain pieces which I will crack on with once these guys are done; there will be a small spiky tree copse, a large rock formation and a cliff face with an armoured mine entrance...that will then just leave the mining outpost itself...

Mors Cattus Moderatus DeathCat147's Avatar

Love everything so far, the classic foam cacti in particular. They were used in the very first battle report I ever read

Thanks DeathCat I am enjoying the project but I can feel my focus waning. Have had a bit of a naff weekend and start to the week but hopefully I can continue with painting tonight.

I will always have a soft spot for retro-Orks, loving this project.
    “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” - William Shakespeare
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
    “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.” - Oscar Wilde

Thanks Rogue Star!

You’ve inspired me to make some of my own alien cactus plants. Sooo 2nd ed

They do look cool and bring back good memories, good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2