Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 210th Imperial Guard Army Log, All Female Alarian 740th and Valhallan 5th

Re: 210th Imperial Guard Army Log, All Female Alarian 740th and Valhallan 5th

Thank you so much Captain Brown and Radical! I love working on these models and I'm glad you enjoy the conversions -R
    Made some progress on the Valhallan Autocannons, I've always liked to make the heavy weapon bases to inform on the unit/theme of the army. For my Valhallans I'm looking for a Kursk style trench/dugout for the heavy weapons, with planks and sandbags plus various crew items. I've gotten lucky that the old autocannon/heavy bolter are styled similar to the Soviet Maxim heavy machine gun, so the old heavy weapons fit the Red Army theme

Hopefully I can get something nearly matching R's Alarian heavy weapon bases, though she has set a high bar. I do still need to add another layer of sand and glue to some bare spots but these are largely how they'll appear in the end.

The start, with foam, sand, rocks, a small drum and thin wood board for the base.

Second phase added GS sandbags, some crates/stowage and removed sand for the guns/crew

Gun pit one with Autocannon for scaling

Gun pit two with Autocannon, added crate/bucket

Gun pit three with Autocannon, added bags/bed rolls and a GS Valhallan helmet from a helmeted head I cast in Blu-stuff Silicone rubber

Let me know what you think of the bases, I'm trying to keep the limited model range for the heavy weapons interesting with good basing, but let me if they're too much or scaled weird.

I'll have the bases/gun crews finished this week and hopefully some sergeants if timing works out -T

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

Great job on the bases. PM sent in regards to items I have you may want.
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

Thanks Jacka, I'm glad the basing works as I was a little concerned that it might be too active for the base size. I'll get a response to you abut that stuff later today, you're a huge help in expanded this collection!

Valhallan Project update- I've completed the lasgun troopers section (19 out of 18 troopers painted) for my 1st Valhallan Battalion and I've finished my first Valhallan Sergeant. This is one of the rarer sergeants who I trimmed down his hand flamer and swapped in a lasgun barrel in order to keep the unique weapon profile.

Finished lasguns, again I've learned that painting goes much faster if you paint them by pose.

Finished Sergeant, I like the look of the black Sashes and yellow shoulder set

I have the Valhallan Plasmaguns being primed and the Autocannons are in the works, I'll post something dealing with them before the end of the week. I also have a test lasgun trooper that I'll use to try out some layering/dry brushing on to finish out these troops. I'll try to post results later.

Thanks for the continued interested, let me know what you think of the troopers so far. -T

Triley,

Now that is looking more like a Guard Platoon.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Interested in buying Kasrkin Special Weapon Trooper, OOP Sisters of Battle with Standard, OOP Dark Reaper weapons

I've been working through some more squads and I thought I'd take the time to detail how I make my standard trooper. I wanted an army that looked very visually distinct, so I used primarily rare/nonstandard bits. Below is a step by step process, feel free to take whatever you want from this

1. I start with the following parts:
    -Anvil Industries short greatcoat legs
    -elysian torsos/arms
    -cadian shoulder pad from the vehicle sprue
    -statuesque miniatures beret head
    -cadian lasgun stock
    -escher autogun
    -various pouches and equipment packs

Good job I like how they look.
    Colonel Jacka

Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

@Colonel Jacka Thanks! I'm glad you like it, I try to have each guardswoman acting in a believable way to keep the force realistic -R

Sorry for the gulf in updates, my brother recently found a stash of Valhallans I had collected from a years past and I've been busy working through them.
    The box arrived this past week and I've been stripping paint/rebasing the combined collection that includes the following:

26 lasguns
    12 mortar crew
    7 Heavy bolter/Autocannon gunners
    8 Lascannon crew
    4 Autocannon loaders
    6 Flamers
    3 Meltaguns
    4 Grenade Launchers
    4 Sergeants
    2 Vox casters
    several mortars/heavy bolters/autocannons/Lascannons in various states

This added to my current stock puts the total around 140 valhallans of all types, with nearly 6 of each heavy weapon, in various forms of the hobby process.

I think this picture of the lasgun troopers will convey the scale best, painted troopers are off to the side, 81 models in total

I've made some progress on the Character and Squad Autocannon teams for the 1st Battalion

2nd Company Commander- Finished. I used a minor conversion of "Hero" from the Last Chancers, I merely added fur cuffs to bring him into theme. Oddly enough this simple addition with a paint job really ties him in as a Soviet style officer.

Ministorum Priest- Finished. This is just a standard Preacher model, but the crazed imperial priest in a burlap robes swinging a board with nails in it really matches the Valhallan theme. I also love the character added by the missing teeth, seriously the missing teeth on the Valhallans and this guy are such a clever way to inform the hardened Soviet soldier theme, GW needs more of this kind of tiny details.

Autocannon crews- I'm still painting the guns and bases, those will follow shortly. I went for a diverse crew set to break up the same loader/crewman this collection runs into, fortunately the size of my collection now does allow for minor conversion and model swapping to keep the crews interesting.

I've started work on some more heavily converted Valhallan officers and I've finally made some winterized Soviet Psykers, I'll be posting the Wip shots later this week -T
    Last edited by Triley; 06-11-2019 at 09:02.

Good score on the extra Troopers.
    Colonel Jacka

Both sides of this project are shaping very nicely indeed. I like the blue on black scheme of the 740th - is that several dry brushes for the uniform? Great conversion work too. The Black Guard are coming together great too, who doesn’t love trench coat Guard? One thing I might suggest is another highlight on their dark brown fear to help with definition BUT they still look good as is!

Nice work Triley.

Cheers,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Interested in buying Kasrkin Special Weapon Trooper, OOP Sisters of Battle with Standard, OOP Dark Reaper weapons

Nice work. I can see you have the same problem I have, multiple 3rd party parts to make a single guardsman eats up time and money fast.

That said your combination of pieces is really cool, I like the overall affect it achieves.

That said, I had never seen the Anvil Industry legs before. If you happen to have any Stormtrooper/Scion bodys lying around, and don't mind tacing them together and taking a picture for me that would be greatly appreciated. I may have just found my solution to Scions in Kilts (with a little greestuffing)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2