Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
The setting with man-sized rats armed with magical gatling guns, not-halfling cooks which use large pots of hot stew as an anti-infantry weapon, 16th century not-German steampunk engineers creating tanks and mechanical horses, goblins with Da Vinci-wings being catapulted at the enemy is 'grounded'...
The strength of the Old World was that it was generally derivative but added some unique element.

Gunpowder, for example.

The Bretonnians filled the "high fantasy" requirement for knights and archers, but the Empire did something few fantasy environments did, which was advance the technology into a magical Renaissance. That was really cool and what drew me into the hobby so very long ago.

Interestingly, there was always a tension in WHFB between the game and the fluff, since what worked in the text didn't do so well on the tabletop - certainly not in 5th ed., when I started playing.

Since 40k came up and since my view on this are well-known (or should be), I will content myself by noting that of all the editions of that game, the 2nd came the closest in perfectly aligning the fluff and actual gameplay.

Marines were truly elite, capable of laying down a devastating fire and piling corpses up around them. You really could get "storybook" scenes during your games. After that, one had to fall back on abstractions to link the fluff to the gameplay.

I think 6th ed. WHFB was closer than 5th in making the fluff attainable on the tabletop, but 6th also revamped the fluff, creating new lists and units while obliterating others (R.I.P. Reiksguard...)