Thread: Zogoth turns old enough for historical gaming (Roman era-ish)

Zogoth turns old enough for historical gaming (Roman era-ish)

Well, I guess I have to start another of these things, since my latest steps into the world of miniature games doesn't really fit into my other plogs.

I have now reached the age there its expected to start playing historical games for real (WW2 is just borderline, or the gateway period ).

I have always been interested in history, even planned to become a history teacher and studied at university with this as my end goal, but life didn't turn out that way, I sort of got derailed and ended up following another path in life, but the interest have always been there in the background, or dormant is maybe a more fitting word.

What have put me of historical gaming in the past is the daunting prospect of painting the amount of miniatures required, so when Warlord Games started to push for a new game called SPQR, which is a skirmish game in the roman times, my interest peaked, and since the starting box came with a s**t-load of minis for a not to hefty price-tag I just could resist any longer.

I haven't really played the game yet, not more than a couple of small tests to get the basics down, but from that I think its going to be a game I will enjoy playing as well as creating warband for.

The box came with couple of units of caesarian roman legionaries, a host of gallic warriors, some gallic archer as well as leaders for both fractions as well, and I got a couple of add-ons directly as well, such as a scorpio for the romans and wardogs for the gauls.

This game will also force me to get into building terrain, as this is really important in this kind of game, and the majority of my terrain is either fantasy or WW2, so there is new things to do in the future.

I have started out with a unit of legionaries. I know that the signifier and the cornicen probably should have the smaller round shields, but rule of cool won in this case, and they ended up with a regular scutum. These models are from Warlord Games.

And I just had to give some of the gauls a go as well, I almost always start out with a few test models whenever I get into a project.

So this is the start of a unit of gallic warriors, still missing a couple of warriors as well as a hornblower and standardbearer, but still its a start. Also Warlord Games minis.

And some archers

And since I'm a big animal lover , I tend to get wardogs whenever I can, or I tend to be unable not to get them rather, this was pretty much inevitable.

Re: Zogoth turns old enough for historical gaming (Roman era-ish)

Looking very good.

I was not aware that at a certain age I needed to ascend.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Looks like your off to a good start, lovely job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Egg View Post
    Looks like your off to a good start, lovely job.
    Thanks, hopefully I can keep it up over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    Looking very good.
    I was not aware that at a certain age I needed to ascend.
    Thanks.
    Its a bit of an ongoing joke within our gaming group, a lot due to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwcMdp7Szbs, and the fact that all of us who plays any kind of historical game are all past 40. All the other “young pups” are still sticking to fantasy and sci-fi, but they are rapidly closing in on 40 themselves.

I have had a couple of days of paid leave from work and among other things I have managed to “finish” my first unit of gallic warriors. But I guess it might grow in the future, probably most likely to end up 16+ at least. But in the starting games I'm playing at the moment, 10 is more than enough.

Wonderful work Zogoth- very nice painting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    Wonderful work Zogoth- very nice painting.
    Thank you very much.

I have finished a small add-on to my roman force, a scorpio, to give them a bit of ranged support, pretty much the only ranged option for the republican romans.
    The only other option is to give the regular legionaries slings which makes expensive troopers even more expensive.

I have fleshed out my Gallic forces a bit, with another unit of warriors, this time 9 strong. So from now on I can chose to field 2 smaller units or one a bit bigger if necessary.

And speaking of “fleshing out”, I won an auction of a box (bag) of Victrix Gallic naked fanatics, mainly since I was a bit curious of the Victrix miniatures.
    And I found them really nice, but a bit fiddly with some thin/small joints. But I think that I will opt for Victrix when I'll get my cavalry.

They look good.

So, do you think the Victrix plastics are better than Warlords or about the same?

They look good.
    So, do you think the Victrix plastics are better than Warlords or about the same?
    Thanks!

Yes I would say that the Victrix are on a higher level when it comes down to detail and options, so they are going to be my first choice for historical minis from now on.
    They are really nice, clean and crisp sculpts.
    This is also their main drawback, since this makes some of the options a bit fiddly to get 100%, due to thin connecting points. So possibly harder to get good-looking if it is your first multi-part kit.

But to be fair to Warlord, their gauls and roman sprues are a bit outdated, if I bring my WW2 DAK and 8th army models into the discussion they are pretty much at the same level.

Thanks Zogoth, I think I will try and check out some Victrix minis at Salute.

Thanks Zogoth, I think I will try and check out some Victrix minis at Salute.
    Do that, I don't think that they will disappoint you.

I haven't really had much hobby time this weekend, but I have managed to finish up a couple of lose ends.

First up was another dog-handler, since I at the moment have more dogs than my lonely handler can handle.

And more importantly, the chieftain of the warband. I might revisit his pants to add another colour to them, but they will do for now. Now it is up to him, if he preforms well, I might “fancy up” his pants a bit more.

His pants look plenty fancy to me. He can be Fancipantalonos.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    His pants look plenty fancy to me. He can be Fancipantalonos.
    To quote the great swedish philosopher Yngwie Malmsteen, “if less is more, then just imagine how much more more is.....”
    So I'm tempted to jump in there with some yellow to make something a bit tartan-ish.

The last couple of weeks I have tied up a few loose ends mainly, so this means that the romans now have a painted commander.

And the gauls counter this with a druid to give him the “evil eye”.

And while I was at it I did a couple more of the fanatics, which is pretty much finished, apart from their tattoos/warpaint, but that will come later if at all....
    And I have even done the static grass, but that was done after I took the pictures.

I love the gauls; great skin tones.