Thread: Age of Heroes - FREE Wargame Rules

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Age of Heroes - FREE Wargame Rules

Hi all,

I've been playing with some ideas for a set of fast, fun & open wargame rules, partly for myself but also to roll some dice with the kids (our daughter is six & our son is eight). What with the current lock-down I thought I'd share what I've got so far in case anyone is interested in giving them a go.

Age of Heroes
    A simple set of rules for playing quick skirmish games; they're open and fun so feel free to change this up as you wish. Just have a blast!

My intention here was to embrace the K.I.S.S. principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) with just 5 stats (Move, Shoot, Fight, Health & Armour); I tried to keep the rules light and fairly intuitive yet giving players the option to customise their minis. A 'standard' game is 5 minis a side and players can choose up to 5 upgrades for their warband; with these upgrades you should be able to accommodate most models and they work well with Lego minifigs as you can literally build your own custom warband. The whole doc is 4 pages long so when printed with 2 pages to a side of A4 you can fit everything on one sheet as a tidy little booklet.

If anyone is interested I've already got ideas for another nine upgrades as well as the option of trading one or more minis for extra upgrades.

These rules are still WIP as I've only just started playtesting...but with the emphasis on fun I figure players can work through any bumps without too much hassle.

Note: Attached is the most recent version of the rules, the Warband Roster and Age of Heroes Extra...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Age of Heroes mk2.1.pdf   AoH Warband Roster.pdf   Age of Heroes Extra mk1.4.pdf  
    Last edited by Lost Egg; 11-04-2020 at 21:55.

Re: Age of Heroes - FREE Wargame Rules

Managed to get a first game in today with my son...

We made good use of our Lego and he was very pleased to win...at the end of the game his Dreadnought had blasted my Hero to bits and his Warriors had gunned down one of my Troopers.

I had a Hero (with a Powered Weapon) and 2 Warriors (with Tough & Extra Armour).

My son had a Hero (with Powered Weapon) and 3 Warriors plus a Dreadnought (Big Guy, Cannon, Tough & a Powered Weapon).

The only tweak I have decided to make to the rules was to improve the Shoot stat for each minis so Heroes hit on 3+ while Warriors hit on 4+. I have a couple of spelling mistakes to correct too then I will upload a new version of the rules.

I am also thinking that I would like to expand the rules a bit too...I might also keep the 4 page booklet as an Intro...

KISS

Great to see you and your son enjoying this.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Thanks Little Joe, I'm hoping we can build up a couple or warbands and a bit more terrain so we can have a 'proper' game...all that'll take a while though

So I have been playing about with the Age of Heroes booklet and have uploaded a revised version. Mostly its a bit of text polishing but I also tweaked the stats a little for shooting & fighting. I've included a couple of extra wargear options too so players can build a more melee orientated warband as I'd really like to try these rules with my as yet unbuilt Forgotten World minis.

I've also uploaded a Warband Roster, just check the first post for the updates.

Now, to give an idea of what can be done with Age of Heroes I thought I'd share a Marine Warband I've built and an Ork Warband I'm thinking of building...

The Orks uses upgrades from the Age of Heroes booklet while the Marines uses the Obscure & Piercing Grenades upgrades from the Age of Heroes Extra booklet I am working on; this will be another 4 page booklet, this time with a page of extra rules / detail, a couple of pages of scenarios and finally a page of more upgrades. One of the extra rules will cover making smaller warbands, so you trade in a Warrior or more for an extra upgrade each time...that's why the the three marines have seven upgrades between them. It all still WIP so once these are built up I can try them out.
    Last edited by Lost Egg; 05-04-2020 at 20:51.

It's taken a while but I finally finished with Age of Heroes Extra which adds some more upgrades, 3 more missions and a few additional rules to add a bit more flavour to your games.

Included are the rules to build smaller, more elite warbands (like with my marines above) as well as 3 types of grenades...

Very interesting stuff Lost Egg; great idea for playing games with kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

I've just started a new plog (see my sig) where I'm building a couple of warbands for Age of Heroes and I decided to make a few changes to the rules...

Beasts can no longer use wargear so no giving a beast a shield for +1 to their Armour Roll

The biggest change is to Infected which is a tad powerful as you basically get 2 upgrades for the price of one with no downside. So, I had a think and decided to change it to a warband upgrade:

Infected A player may decide to use two upgrades to create an Infected warband and so all models in the warband gain the Infected upgrade. Infected models are Hard to Kill but not exactly the best fighters so they suffer -1 to their Fight Roll and may not shoot. In addition, if an enemy is removed as a casualty from a Fight attack by this model, roll a D6 and on 5+ they turn and are controlled by the Infected player. Now Infected, they have only 1 Health but keep all existing upgrades, though they canít shoot.

I think this balances Infected a bit more as it gives a downside, being less effective in melee, but frees up some upgrades which prevents players having to spend all their upgrades just to make an Infected warband.