Thread: Hic sunt damnati: Warriors of Chaos project

Marine

Talking Hic sunt damnati: Warriors of Chaos project

Hi there Warseer,
    This is my first attempt on a project log, as I'm trying to build, convert and paint my almost ten years old Warriors of Chaos army (back in the Old World I used to field these poor guys partly assembled, grey and barely glued to the bases, shame on me ).

I own a huge amount of plastic kits which lay in a closet still on sprue, a lot of metal models waiting hopelessly for the blade of an hobby knife to take care of them, a massive bits box willingly to inspire me weird conversions, so I felt that time has finally come.

The quarantine we must fulfill here in Italy is a huge help for my constant lack of time, and I feel like offering Nurgle some fresh worshippers will protect my family from disease.

I'll post some bad photos of what I've painted so far.

Marauder Horsemen
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200310_230046.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	241914

Name:	20200310_230058.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	343.2 KB 
ID:	241915
    Not a lot to say: I tried some freehand on the banner and the tatoo on the marauders. I loved these models and I have 20 more to assemble and paint. I plan to slightly convert them in marked units, one for each god.

Shaggoth

Name:	20200323_235038.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	241916

Name:	20200323_235108.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	244.5 KB 
ID:	241917
    I had this big guy laying primed in a box for literally years. He was completely covered in dust, so I had to clean him underwater before starting to paint.
    I love how this model is full of details yet has a very simple and rough shape. I really like the small creatures which comb the Shaggoth hair, but i'm really not satisfied with how I painted them.

Chaos giant

Name:	20200323_235047.jpg 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	241918
    The original plan with this big one was to cut a hole in his belly and sculpt some tentacles with green stuff and some claws, as if he had a mutant mouth on him. But I was possessed by the urge to get him painted, and I know myself, if I had indulged in that project, then I would never have finished him. So I coated the giant with Barbarian Flesh Army Painter undercoat which was a pain to paint on. I troubled to get a dirty and sick colour for the skin, but I'm pretty happy with the result considering this was the first model I painted since more than ten years.

Dragon ogres

Name:	IMG-20200319-WA0013.jpg 
Size:	293.5 KB 
ID:	241919
    Sorry for the bad photo, I'll take more and better as soon as my daughter will wake up from sleeping an my legs. Those bad guys were very challenging for my poor painting skills. The scales on their backs were hard and the skin was difficult to achieve. It took to me ten days to paint them, as I tent to modify them a lot. Then I had to stop and move on something else. They maybe could not be perfect as I wished, but i think they will not be bad on a battlefield when I'll field them again.

Khorne Knights

Name:	20200328_070032.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	241920

Name:	20200328_070145.jpg 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	241921

Name:	20200328_070133.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	241922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200328_070159.jpg 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	241923
    These are the horses from a convert unit of five that I built time ago. They are obviously WIP and the three different colur schemes were tests. I opted for a blend of bone armour and red, but I'm seeking suggestions.
    Those guys paint the horse armour bone-ish so that blood from their enemies will be more evident. Once a plate of armour is totally covered in blood, they paint that plate red. Once they achieve a wonderful and outstandung slaughter they get the privilege to paint a plate black. So far only the champion, Squartatore, got this privilege.

As I was painting this army I understood that I needed some place to display painted miniatures to avoid damage and to stare at it without having to unbox carefully each of them. So I built a display board out of a wood board I had lying around, and I am pretty happy with how it came out. You can se that in the dragon ogres photo, but I will post more. I need to add a plexiglass in the front part to prevent dust covering miniatures.

Next:
    Once I've completed the Knights I wish to paint Valkia and Scyla Anfingrimm, two models which I love. Then I will probably start building and converting a unit of 18 Nurgle warriors and then I'd like to build a marauder unit for Wulfrick the Wanderer. I have an idea of a movement tray shaped like the ethereal ship that brings Wulfrick around the world, but we'll see...

I hope to get a lot of criticism and suggestion on what I've done, I really want to improve my painting and I always like to have ideas from other people.
    And not being an English speaker, I'd really appreciate any correction on my poor writing so I can be more understendable in the posts to come.

Thank you, stay tuned!
    Ciao, Luca

Re: Hic sunt damnati: Warriors of Chaos project

Looks like you are off to a great re-start.

Hmm, criticism ... None actually, maybe sketch out freehands with a dark color (not black) and then paint them leaving a very thin dark line. This tricks the human brain.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Marine

@Little Joe
    I really am! I've never had the will to start and finish painting a model, I've always tried to procrastinate the painting to avoid the delusion of not being a perfect painter. Now I let myself try and I feel no need to be perfect, just have fun!

What do you mean saying 'sketch out freehand'? Like drawing them with a pencil or painting a prototype of the freehand with a brush?

A little update:

Name:	20200331_224048.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	241927
    I've finished three of the horses. Other two to come and then I'll move on the riders.

Name:	20200331_224057.jpg 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	241928

Name:	20200331_224102.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	241929

Name:	20200331_224108.jpg 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	241930

And as I was eager to convert something Nurglic, here is the test guy for a 18 warriors regiment that I plan to build.

Name:	20200404_191851.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	241931

Name:	20200404_191904.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	241932
    I'm preatty pleased with how it came out, consider the scythe is only pinned without any glue and it will need some green stuffing to be reasonably strong.
    The hood is my second attempt sculpting with GS.

I'm not sure if I will use this guy as a standard to build the whole unit. I'd rather like a lot more variety.

Thank you for watching,
    Have a nice day!
    Luca

Nice, have fun!

You first paint the rough shape with a dark color, something not black. A very dark green, red or blue, depending on what you want to paint. Then that becomes your base color or black prime from what you know from normal painting. When you then color in the shape, leave a tiny edge that shows (basically use thin paint). That way you get a tiny darker edge to a freehand, making it stand out more and somehow because our brains are wired that way, we accept it as more real. It is also the reason why in cartoons black lines work.
    Doing the base color first also gives you more room for corrections later on, because you have a color to fade and cheat. A checkers pattern for example is only rough squares with darker lines on 2 intersecting edges and 2 lighter lines on the other 2. What you end up with is a lot of blobs and lines, many of them not perfect. But our brain turns it into checkers. Using more colors gives you more options.

Hope that explains it.
    You already use the same trick with inks to give deeper details a darker fading edge. Same thing, just flat, you paint it on.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Great start Lucane. You may have an army painted by the time GW re-releases The Old World.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Marine

@Little Joe
    Thank you for the explanation, I'll try this technique! This kind of hints are really appreciated.

@Codsticker
    Is there any chance to see the Old World again? I really loved that setting. It was the main reason for me to start this wonderful hobby.

Not a big update as I am struggling painting the Khornate Knights (I'm trying to achieve a nice looking bone armour ) so I'll show you my handmade model display with all my painted models ( and some unpainted waiting for primer ).

Name:	20200405_144750.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	330.0 KB 
ID:	241937

I had good time building the display cabinet. It was easier than I thought. Not a perfect result, and maybe I could have painted the wood, but it works well for what I need. I just have to find a big sheet of plexiglass to avoid dust on my miniatures.

Have a nice day!
    Luca

P.S.: Could a merciful soul teach me how to post better photos? I'm not very expert with technology and posting in forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200405_144800.jpg 
Size:	330.9 KB 
ID:	241936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200405_144752.jpg 
Size:	302.0 KB 
ID:	241938  
    Last edited by Lucane; 09-04-2020 at 08:58.

Marine

Hi Warseer,

I'm here with a proper update. I've almost finished my five Khornate Knights.

Name:	20200418_004937.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	241946

Name:	20200418_005002.jpg 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	241947

Name:	20200418_005122.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	241948

I tried to convert them to fit the Khorne bloodlust, but in order to get a dynamic feeling for the unit I forgot that they should fit movement tray. It was tricky to make them work as a compact unit.
    The champion's steed and head were heavily converted. I will add a Dark elf on the top of his spear, the champion taking his helmet off to stare at the elf's agony to please the Blood God.
    I used skullcrushers bits on the steeds and knights.

There is some work still to be done on this unit. I have to paint the musician's head, to finish the champion's base and the unlucky elf for his spear.

My freshly painted army was involved in two battles against Lustrian lizardmen. In the first of them (2500 points, 8th edition) my army was led by mighty Kholek Suneater and the Khorne spawn Scyla Anfingrimm. Both of them died a shameful death. The former was killed by the poisonous darts of skinkian blowpipes (but he managed to kill Kroq Gar and his Grimloq in the way) while the latter was beaten to death by the scary mace of the Ancient Saurus Gor Rok. He was avenged by the Khornate Knights and I finally won the day by small measure.

Name:	20200416_161236.jpg 
Size:	252.4 KB 
ID:	241949

Name:	20200416_161244.jpg 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	241950

Name:	20200416_161507.jpg 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	241951

In the second battle (1000 points) Scyla Anfingrimm was respawned by Khorne to take his revenge upon Gor Rok. Three of the mighty dragon ogres sons of Kholek marched along Scyla's Butchers (12 khornate warriors with alabards) and the ferocious Scale Crushers Knights to avenge their fathers death. A grotesque spawn of Slaanesh, Shag the Greedy (a chaos giant) came along the lunatic frenzied Khornate warriors to feast on the lizardmen or khornate warriors alike.

My Knights were blown away by the Solar Machine of a Bastildon, and the Sons of Kholek were slaughtered by three ferocious Kroxigor.

Scyla and Shag the giant charged Gor rok and his Temple Guard, wiping both the ancient lizard and his elite warriors away.

I won the day, but the dragon ogres kin will not rest until all the lizards will be butchered.

Name:	20200417_130508(0).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	241952

Let me know what you think about the knights and, as usual, hints and criticism are always welcome!
    I'd like help on posting better pics, what should I do?

Have a great day!
    Cheers, Luca.

hey, cool stuff! A project log like in the good old days. And you even get to play proper warhammer games!

Keep it up!

Marine

@naitsabes: Thank you for the support! I'm glad to read that my plog made you think of the old days! I started this inspired by the many beautiful plogs in this forum.

It was nice to play a game after years, and I was happy to finally field almost every model nice and painted.

Enough words for this post, here is a WIP of Scyla Anfingrimm. It was my first attempt painting eyes.

Name:	20200421_000758.jpg 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	241958

Name:	20200421_000846.jpg 
Size:	296.3 KB 
ID:	241959

And to add salt to a maegre post, another brief battle report. (1250 points, 8th edition)

Name:	20200422_114310.jpg 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	241960

Name:	20200422_114258.jpg 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	241961

Name:	20200422_114913.jpg 
Size:	285.1 KB 
ID:	241962

I fought again the lizardmen of Lustria. Tetto Eko the Oracle was send by Lord Mazdamundi itself to rescue an arcane secret stealen by Ugash Bloodguzzler (my 2nd level death chaos sorcerer) from a corrupted forest in the chaos wastes.

The fight was quick and harsh.
    Scyla Anfingrimm charged itself in turn one a cohort of 17 saurus, making them pay a heavy toll before they managed to slain him by the power of numbers.
    Ugash Bloodguzzler managed to kill Tetto'eko with Spirit Leech, showing the power of a mind driven by the true gods.
    The Hellcannon blasted an apocaliptic blow on an ancient stegadon, forcing him to flee, but a misfire occurred and the cannon could not shot anymore for the rest of the game.
    The saurus cohort took a charge from eight grotesque forsaken but i rolled ASL on the mutation chart, so the saurus speared them to a inglorious death.
    My khornate knights along my sorcerer got a charge from a stegadon (due to my double one on a previous charge) and were trampled by the beast. Ugash dead impaled by the stegadon horns.
    A skink priest killed my gorebeast chariot with two phases of magic.
    The lizardmen won the day, but the eternal war between good and evil will go on.

Even though the forsaken prooved th more then ineffective, i like their concept and I will assemble and paint the twenty of them laying in the Closet of Wonders.
    For the paint scheme I am unsure if I would paint them all with a single scheme or five by five with a scheme which fit the four chaos gods. What do you think?

Thank you for reading, have a nice day!
    Cheers, Luca.