Thread: Finding the Best Wargaming Table

Finding the Best Wargaming Table

I just started my personal journey into finding the perfect wargaming table for myself. Perhaps you are in the same situation where you want to upgrade your table, or you just plain old find this stuff interesting.

I've rounded out my finds to one place. In this article on my site, I have 4 designer tables, 4 custom build options and links to a number of self build options. Come check it out!
    https://mustcontainminis.com/2020/06...ing-table.html

Re: Finding the Best Wargaming Table

An interesting article for sure.

I would add transportation to where you need it to the list of criteria. To put it simple, I would not trust most postal services to deliver a table in good shape. Local carpenters have the advantage of being able to also set it up. This gives you the chance to know it will be done just perfect.

While I would normally love DIY, a table is not among projects I would aspire. It needs skills I do not have and the time it would take me should also factor into the costs. When you compare that with any carpenter, it's a good deal.
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

My now venerable gaming table was found at a garage sale in the mid-80s.

It is a wood-reinforced wall map of Air France's global routes circa 1964. Dimensions are a bit odd: 45 x 81 inches.

I bring this up because it is well "outside the box" in terms of what one would set out to buy, but it is a great gaming surface. I have it on two sawhorses (which came with it).

For one thing, who doesn't want to sit down in front of a map of the world (in French!) and contemplate strategy?

Another nice thing is it is framed, which creates a nice lip along the edge. Many times errant dice have been deflected from a nasty fall by this feature.

I originally used it for board gaming and its length allows one to have two standard games set up at once, or a true monster game.

It was only later on that I adapted it for miniatures and I have to say that the "missing" three inches are not missed much at all. In practical terms, all it does is narrow the deployment zone slightly and in return its footprint is just a bit smaller and you also don't have to lean forward as much to reach the midpoint.

At one point I experimented with a true 4x8 overlay for miniatures and I didn't like it.

Surplus wall maps are available from time to time. A friend of mine picked up one of the Roman Empire that was being discarded by the local university during a remodel. Another wonderful gaming surface! Also: free! Just add sawhorses.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try the revised and expanded Conqueror: Fields of Victory!

Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wish someone came up with a decent story about how a decadent galactic commonwealth descended into chaos and civil war? Look no further.
    A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.

I still like building my own, but those were interesting tables. I'm not sure whether I would be buying those tables as most of them are not what I am looking for, nor do I want to spend that much coin on a table, but interesting nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffymcfluff View Post
    Warhammer for me is more fun when I can drink, smoke and swear at my dice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Vaughn View Post
    And dont tell me the rules are "Designed" to work better at certain points values, because the rules are many things but Designed aint one of them...
    My miniature blog. http://tinylegions.blogspot.com/
    www.classichammer.com - New Games with Old Rules