Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Port Orleans: An over crowded 40k City

Port Orleans: An over crowded 40k City

Port Orleans lays far out in the Ghoul Stars. The instability of the Astronomican in these reaches has led to an increased use of Chartist Captains and their immense merchant vessels which operate non-warp liner service maintaining trade between inhabited systems. While this area of space may seem dangerous to outsiders due to being almost beyond the fringes of Imperial power, the remoteness has also enabled its dwellers to avoid much of the debilitating effects of Imperial politics and policies. Port Orleans is a major transhipment hub for moving cargoes between vessels for inter and intra system carriage.

While much of the work is done in high orbiting marshaling yards, repair docks, loading stations, and stowage terminals, many administrative and support industries can be found planetside. Port Orleans hosts the headquarters of financial institutions which oversee the brokerage and underwriting of voyages as well as logistics offices which manage cargo tracking and surveying. The availability of space elevators and transatmospheric craft allows the operators and laborers of the orbiting facilities to commute back to surface homes between work rotations.

The Port has weathered countless incursions and insurrections however it has been spared full invasion or rebellion resulting in a curious mix of newer and older architecture absent many other Imperial cities which invariably seem to be razed at one point or another. The level of trade has also diversified the styles and materials exhibited in construction not necessarily available to other cities.

First some Warsenal Terrain

The Dragonís Den has become Imperial Navy 42nd Expeditionary Fleetís official watering hole when anchored at Port Orleans. Itís open to civilians but it may be assumed they wish to join the navy and are pressed into service while any credits they have on them at the time are put towards the fleetís tab as it will be a long time before they are eligible for shore leave.
    On this particular night the Admiral hit the sauce extra hard and is not listening to the fleet purserís tally of the nights lost bets while the XO is trying to get in touch with the Bosun to send down and Arvus Lighter to pick them up before the mounted Krieg shore patrol decides to throw them all in the drunk tank.

Corner Store

Clinic

Re: Port Orleans: An over crowded 40k City

Going for some older looks I found this viaduct from Sarrissa Precision hidden in the world at war (Arches) section. May plan to to have a "good" and "bad"side of the tracks vibe to my city. Rubbing weathering powder into the bricks really made my novice work look a lot better.

This piece is from TT Combat. The side building on the left is supposed to be a police station but I covered the seal and thought it would make a good office building for the factory. I have to go back eventually and add icons and stuff.

This is another piece from TTCombat which is in their Western section but I thought it looked industrial enough fr my tastes.

Wow Chartist Captain.

That is a load of terrain for your table.

Congrats,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Necromunda figures - Selling Painted Elysian Army, and other bits for 40K and terrain

Nice work, good to see someone going for a lived in galaxy for a change, they're usually in ruins otherwise.
    mrtn's painting blog

Photobucket are bastards.

I agree- I love making ruins as you can be really creative but it is good to see something a little more lived in, a little less war torn and a nice diversity of buildings as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

Mate this is just awesome!
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

Thanks guys! Yea this city is going to be fairly intact and wont be completely covered in skulls. I've been influenced from all the old dirty buildings growing up in New Orleans and the crowded colors from port calls in Singapore when I was a mariner. I have a pretty long list of great terrain to get but I'm going to try to get one thing at a time. It will definitely be more than I can fit on a standard table but my ultimate hobby goal is when I'm a home owner to have a hobby room with an 8'x6' table for playing on.

The latest construction is the May building by Blacksite Studios. This mdf kit is nice and tall and prepainted. I may have accidentally rubbed some of the green off n places when I was wiping the soot off. It comes in a ridiculous amount of sheets at first due to the layering but almost half are used up for the first floor. In Port Orleans this is the Merchant Bank building which also houses the Protection & Indemnity Clubs which underwrite voyages to and from the port. I'm yet undecided if my next acquisition should be a cathedral from MAD Gaming Terrain or an office tower from LOS Block.

Very nice.

Cheers,

CB
    Interested in buying OOP metal Necromunda figures - Selling Painted Elysian Army, and other bits for 40K and terrain

Many thanks! I managed to finish another piece I think serves as decent housing for the semiskilled port workers. This is all of the buildings of this theme from Warsenal. I got a cool scifi office tower made by LOSBlock enroute from Russia I'm excited to start working on next.

Wonderful buildings CC. I really like that first picture- great atmosphere.

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

CC great stuff mate, I really like the feel of this terrain.
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

Another fin addition Chartist Captain.

Cheers,

CB

Given its importance in the region and infrastructure, Port Orleans is home port for the 42nd Expeditionary Fleet. While many of the fleet installations are in orbit a logistics command is maintained planetside to manage procurement for victuals, munitions, and other consumables. The fleet inspector general has an officer here to keep a close eye on vendors and services.

This piece is from Knights of Dice. I made a big order to KoD and have a lot more cyber punk builds to add to my layout though it will be a while till I can work on them. This piece is from a star wars like range but I thought it would make for a good databank room where the navy keeps files on there purchase orders. Painted it up quick with spray cans, wanted a little bit of a clean look kind of like the robot think thing in that Tom Cruise movie Oblivion. Got a pretty big building from LOS Block to work on too, just got to make it through the semester!

That's a great structure; the signage looks perfect for it.

That is a big building Chartist Captain.

Flyers might actually run into it.

CB

Many thanks! I've added this tram from Warbases to the scenery. Fun little kit and fits in great with the nicer side of town.

Great addition!

Good stuff, now you need an invader.

Cheers,

CB

Thanks! I got my tau army ready for a refit once I'm done with city building!
    These are some Knights of Dice Easy District pieces. Still got to source some signage for the pavillion. The Key building reminded me a little of some seafood restaurants I visited on East Coast Beach, Singapore, during a port call once.

The Key family is one of the oldest families of Port Orleans. Back in the early days they operated a tavern known for serving decently priced and safe to eat fare, a rarity in many parts of town. The family has long since expanded its ventures into many other industries however they maintain the restaurant to introduce younger generations to management and the family roots. While it looks worn, itís a community treasure and respected as such by all ranks of citizens. Its durability made it a great location for a public address system which also broadcasts a popular local radio station, unbeknownst to all but a very few the adeptus arbites use the suite to eavesdrop on communications of suspect criminal activity at the near by legal kiosk.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast