Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost Egg's Plog of This...and That...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lost Egg's Plog of This...and That...

Hi all,

This is hopefully going to be my plog of what I'm working on. The last few years I've really struggled to maintain focus with my painting and whatnot so hopefully a broader plog will help me to keep on track as I can always flit between projects but still kinda feel like I'm getting somewhere.

So what's planned I hear you ask...Well for the last year or two out family have played a fair few games of HeroQuest and I am slowly chipping away at building my own set and board, just the way I like 'em. I rebased most of the minis onto 25mm round bases and I've designed a more compact HQ board with larger squares so there's more room and its easier to use big monsters; I'm also going to make a foldable board with magnetised doors to help keep them in place and stop them falling over...more on that at some point soon...

I've also pre-ordered some of the Oathmark Skeletons as I have been working on a European Bronze Age game for years (and years) so they'd be great for conversions and whatnot.

I've also been tempted back towards classic 1st Ed Necromunda, partly for the game itself and partly as a ruleset for playing more detailed 40k skirmishes more along the lines of 2nd Ed 40k but with a smaller model count...which is a bit easier for my limited head space to swallow.

There are always other little ideas bouncing about in my head but for now that's about it...well apart from...

Age of Heroes - The Living vs. The Dead
    Many moons ago I used some Bday mulla to jump in on the Forgotten Worlds KS by Fireforge Games. I wasn’t really sure what I’d use the minis for, I just knew I liked ‘em.

Now, with another Bday approaching and no progress made (on pretty much any hobby project) I find myself tempted to finally do something with these guys. Trouble is though, I don’t have much hobby time or much head-space* so an army is definitely out of the question…

Earlier this year I created a fun little ruleset called Age of Heroes, aimed at small skirmish games; they are rules-lite yet have a range of upgrades that players can pull from to customise their warband. So, with what little hobby time I can muster it shouldn’t be too tricky to bash out a couple of warbands…fingers crossed…

The Plan
    So, the basic plan is to build two forces one Living and the other Dead. I only have a little bit of terrain so I might build one or two new pieces…but best not get ahead of myself. Once my two forces are built and painted I’d like to actually have a game…hopefully…

The Warbands
    In AoH each player gets a Hero and 4 Warriors as well as 5 upgrades to customise their warband.

I’ve got a good idea of what I want in my warbands; for the Dead I definitely wanted them to be Infected** as the idea of them turning their foes against them is too appealing (this used 2 upgrades for the whole warband). I’d also like a mix of minis so both the fabulous Living Dead Warriors and Peasants are in and while a LD Knight is tempting I think I’ll go with a dead dog instead (that’s the Beast upgrade). To get the two peasants I’m going to use a Runts upgrade while I’m going to give my Hero Regeneration to truly make him a thorn in the Living's side.

For the Living I really want a couple of archers to try and take the Dead out from long range so I’ll use a Runts upgrade again but this time I’ll give them both Sharpshooter to take their Shoot Roll back up to 4+. A Hero and some Warriors wielding swords and shields make up the rest of the warband; I want the Hero to stick around so he can have Tough to give him +1 Health and I like the idea of him wielding an ancestral blade so his attacks are Piercing.

What’s Next?
    It’s taken me 3 days to finally sort out my forces…so the next step is to start this plog and build up the dozen minis or so I need…wish me luck…

* I’m Autistic so I get easily overloaded
    ** Hmm...I guess that means I might just have to make a Dead version of each of the Living minis...doh, thats another 6 minis then lol

Re: Lost Egg's Plog of This...and That...

Good luck!
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Go for it, dude! Will we be seeing Battle Crows too?

Living Warband WIP + My HeroQuest Set Up

Thanks guys

@Ragsta - No plans at the moment...the problem with Primaris is that they just don't really hold my interest; I've not written them off though, more put them on the back burner.

Mini time...

Just a quick update on my AoH project to shows things are moving forwards, here's a pic of my first two guys built up...and a convert Escher ganger I'm working on...

These Forgotten World minis went together well..though the neck joins needed a bit of work to avoid them looking weird; I had to trim them down and GS the one turning off centre.

I might start the bowmen next...

And now for something completely different!

So yeah, not terribly exciting but that's the case for my HeroQuest minis, speaking of which...

Behold my minis! Or at least the ones I've based so far. I've also started sorting out some doors...I didn't really want to switch between open and closed doors so I hunted around and found some 3D printed ones that open & close. Unfortunately, the rock frame looked very dull and they were covered in printing lines so I decided to scratch out the wood grain on the door and tidy up the metal work. As you can see I also decided to sculpt over the rocks with GS, just two doors finished...fourteen more to go.

Oh yeah, I guess I should show you my compact HeroQuest board...

My idea was that almost all of the quests in the original game use maybe 12 rooms at most and on our kitchen table there isn't that much room around it for gaming bits so I decided to have a crack at reducing the size of the board to about 50x50cm while making the actual squares larger (40mmsq) to give more room and accomodate larger minis like the troll. I also changed the movement dice from 2 D6s to 2 D4s which actually scale really well with the reduced size of board. We've played quite a few games on it now and it works really well.

I'm not sure if I ever actually played regular HeroQuest back in the day but my mate Ben had Advanced HeroQUest which we played a lot so I based the design of this board on scans of those tiles. I'll try and go with similar colours when I paint my new board.

I've also made my own HQ dice...

Being D8s I've added an extra Monster Shield and an extra Skull...this increase the monster's chance of rolling a save while decreasing the hero's chance of rolling a save. At the same time the chance of rolling a Skull is still 50%.

So far my aim is to finish the 6 doors and turn my printed board (paper on foam core) into a wooden, foldable board...I plan on magnetising the doors to help keep them in place. It's my Bday in a couple of weeks and I know I have a box of Mantic's Dungeon Essentials. I've written some rules for solo play which I've called SoloQuest so once those bits are all sorted I'll paint up my Dwarf Trollslayer too and play through some games as a fun solo campaign.
    Last edited by Lost Egg; 22-11-2020 at 20:00.

Classic Colours Paints

Another little side project I've started recently is old school paints...or rather old school colours...

So this might seem odd to most but I'm still struggling with the change of Citadel paint into its current form. This is partly due to the silly naming system they have now (where the names often don't reflect the colour), partly it's the whole GW paint-system with Base, Layers and whatnot but I suspect it's mostly down to me using these colours for so long that I think of colour through these names as well as my some what inflexible autistic nature. Plus, I really dislike the pots GW use...they should have gone back to the original flip-top pots or even the hex flip-tops, though the round ones are more aesthetically pleasing.

So anyway, I dislike pretty much the whole kit and caboodle...then I tried Coat d'Arms but couldn't quite settle in with them because their paint chart is just plain pants...most of it's blurred and you can't just pop into a shop to grab a bottle. So, I went back to GW...reluctantly.

Now I know what you might be thinking...Vallejo. Aye, the paint seems good but I REALLY dislike dropper bottles so again I found myself in this weird no-mans land...and then I had a brainwave (admittedly it's a bit of a naff and obvious brainwave)...buy Vallejo Game Colours (basically the same as classic GW paint colours) but transfer the contents to classic GW pots and do my own labels...BOOM!

So here's where I'm at with that right now, a lot of empty pots...

...and a few bits and pieces (including some DIY mock-up labels)...

Still waiting on a paint order from Wayland Games but hopefully it'll come through soon and then I can crack on cos I sold the old paints I don't want and I can't paint anything else till they get here...
    Last edited by Lost Egg; 22-11-2020 at 19:59.

Living Warband built...but not yet painted + my first Necromunda mini

My first warband for Age of Heroes is finished...well built...

They went together well, though some of the pieces don't quite sit snuggly and needed a bit of carving / GS work. I wanted the sergeant to stand out a little so carved out the chin whiskers...he looks a little more like me now

Again the head joins all needed trimming to look natural.

I've also put together my first of the new Necromunda minis...

I removed the daft high heels and the massive loin cloth, neither of which are very practical for a firefight. I also carved off the studs from the legs and her arm as well as her mic and the thingy-ma-jig on her left hip. I wish I'd picked a different face cos that one looks odd, like she's pouting while sniffing poo.

Can't say I'm impressed with these new breed of kits, they seem very limited and the cuts between pieces are in weird places. I'm not sure if I'm gunna build anymore from the sprue...maybe I should paint her and see. I've got a bunch of classic Necromunda minis on their way to me so maybe I'll just stick with them.

More (slow) progress on my Northener Warband...

I actually started painting the whole warband at the same time but got kinda lost in the colourscheme so I decided to focus on just the one mini so I could nail it down...I'm pretty happy with how he's turned out. So, I can crack on with the rest of them now...though maybe two at a time.

I also could do with digging out some transfers or coming up with a design for the shields...

That looks really good, sir! I like all the baggage he is carrying too.

I can sympathise re. GW paints - but I think I'm just getting a bit ornery and grumpy with their seemingly constant changes. I'm slowly moving towards using Vallejo as I like the consistency (both in paint effect and general quality in my own extremely humble opinion. There's also a company called Instar that I have enjoyed using somewhat. Might be worth a peep.
    Last edited by Ragsta; 15-12-2020 at 21:20.

Thanks Ragsta

I've almost finished switching over to Vallejo Game Colour paints now but I don't like dropper bottle so I've been transferring them to the classic round pots above...just 4 more to go. I changed some of the colour names since the above chart. I'll share where I'm at with once done.

Classic Colours & Swordsmen of the North!

Progress at last...

So that's the three swordsmen done, next up are the two archers then the leader. Slowly chugging away on this project.

If I'm to play a game I will need to think about some terrain too at some point; Age of Heroes only uses a 2x2ft board so I won't need loads...I'm thinking some rocks or hills might a good idea as they are generic enough to be used for sci-fi games too.

Also, I finally finished transferring my paints...for now...

Ahh that is a very satisfying sight to behold!

Now I'm not entirely sure if I will be keeping the washes or maybe just not keeping them in this box. I'll kinda see how things go but I can assure you this is a vast improvement on my previous paint set up

Very nice!

Consider me subscribed!

Behold...the HeroQuest board starts taking shape

Thank you sir! I hope I don't disappoint

Right, update time...I hate hinges...

My HeroQuest board is finally starting to take shape; it's not quite as tightly done as I'd like but I'm happy enough given my limited hobby time. I'm waxing it at the moment then I can glue the handle on. Once those jobs are done the fun starts as I can crack on with the dungeon itself.

I've also been busy on eBay acquiring some new monsters and enough furniture to cover all the original game choices as well as one or two more. I'm hoping that by the end of the year I will have a full HQ sets worth of board, minis and furniture...crazier things have happened...

looking good so far awaiting more updates
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    I don't think licking the black undercoat and dark greens will help though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    That tip I gave you about not licking black undercoat... also kind of applies to superglue!
    My project log

stormravens747 xbox live

Thanks, me too mate

I decided to change my idea for the HeroQuest board a little so the whole surface will be magnetised as the kids do tend to knock doors and furniture over. Sadly, the current lock down is really cutting into my hobby time. Hopefully though the next week or so I can start up again...hopefully...

My bad...I forgot I h'd finished these two bowmen a few weeks ago...

...and here's the whole warband so far...

Work on the Hero is slowly starting up again too.

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

Great looking war band.
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

Thanks Colonel Jacka!

Well he took me a while but I finally finished the Northern Sergeant...

I love the expression on his face...though I'm biased as we share the same whiskers lol

Here's a group shot of the full Warband...

I still want to add some transfers or maybe free hand to the shields but our house is a bit disorganised at the moment as we are having the kitchen done and home school and whatnot.

Lovely models well done!
    my general project thread

[2020] painted: 3

Lovely painting on the Northmen, nice faces too. I really like your Classic Colours chart and storage options.

Cheers Little Joe & Ragsta!

Progress at last...

...after a bit of a think I decided to scrap the foldable HeroQuest board; partly this was because I've just built myself a new wardrobe and I've added a gaming board rack so I've got more room but really...I just wasn't happy with the finish of the foldable board. So anyway I went with a 12mm plywood board with a magnetic receptive sheet stuck on and a hardwood strip trim (6x18mm); the magnetic receptive sheet isn't magnetic but it does attract magnets. I then painstakingly cut up the floor tiles into strips of about 2-3mm thick foam, trimmed them to size then stuck them down.

...there's the magnets in action. They work fairly well though they'd fall over if I tilted the board any more. The next step now is to fill some of the gaps between the tiles with sand and some slightly larger stones then once thats dry I can slap some home-made modge podge on it. I've written an Easter themed quest for the kids to play through in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping to have it finished by then...hopefully...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast