Thread: Project Phoenix (Orks, Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Terrain)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Project Phoenix (Orks, Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Terrain)

Hello.

So, a little bit of a throwback to 12 years ago, and an entering-middle-age guy had just got himself a portacabin in a little rural business park site, which meant he could finally start moving his hobby into proper terrain projects and dioramas and so on. This meant he could have space for things like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leviathan03.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	243266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leviathan02.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	243267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leviathan.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	243268

These shots were of a 40K scale Leviathan I'd built for my Royal Volpone Imperial Guard.

Other trinkets included a Throne Room for Horus' Battle-barge flying over Holy Terra...

Name:	Horus_01.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	243269

I had set these all up in my Portacabin, and ten started building a city for the Volpone to get stuck into a Bad Moonz Ork army, over.. cutting my teeth on terrain building ahead of building the fortress my Space Marine Chapter was going to be displayed in.

There was a minor snag in that a year or two in, home things happened, and I filled the portacabin with furniture and clutter whilst moving myself back in with the parents (That's fun when you're middle aged) and then fixing up a house to sell... whilst maintaining a 60 hour a week job. (Not much rennovation got done, which is why so much time passed!)

Re: Project Phoenix (Orks, Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Terrain)

To be honest, the hobby stuff took a back seat, life got in the way and the wait for a 'big house' took some time. As a parallel note, I managed that in the middle of the Pandemic, selling my done up place and buying a place I could move myself into and let me tell you, it's lovely to live alone again!

It was about 18 months ago now, but we were in the middle of a heat wave. I got a call from the lady who jointly ran the site where my cabin was, with some bad news. Some people had been piling up more and more wood, against the side of the building. Then someone decided to make a little fire in an old oil drum... next to the huge piles of wood.... in a heatwave...

So yeah... That caught fire... They did call the fire brigade, but my cabin was partially smashed, the windows had all shattered and only some wire-mesh over the windows kept the elements out. The burned contents had been doused in a flood of hosepipe water courtesy of the fire brigade (can't blame em!) and then there's been a lock down and me going through house exchange, so basically 18 months of exporusre to the weather through the windows they never boarded up or sealed.

I recently found out from loft conversion experts that my loft probably won't fit proper conversion, so I'm now stuck with either converting my garage or buying a huge shed to fill up the garden, losing me a vegetable patch I was half thinking of cultivating. So, I don't have space to really... deploy... stuff. However, it's time I retrieved things and started cleaning it all up and seeing what stuff I can recover and then start afresh...

You are invited to join me on this journey of largely washing sulphur covered toys from your chlidhood.

First up a couple of shots of the cabin as it currently is...

Name:	image1 (10).JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	243270
    This shot is for those of you who think -your- desk is messy. Check out this blackened and charred hot mess of soot.

Name:	image2 (2).JPG 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	243271

This was a set of plastic drawers with a ton of art/craft stuff in it. Things I surprisingly managed to recover (One of the items I pulled out of this sl@g-heap was a metal spanner, which I then used to batter other parts of the now brittle plastic out of the way) - 4 packs of Lichen (still moist after 12 years and a fire!) a lot of copper pipes, mainly corners, which now look pre-weathered and will make excellent scenery provided I seal them so there's nothing toxic there!!! A few bits of Hornby fences, some tubing. The fire started just the other side of the wall here, so it was the epicentre, and I'm shocked I got anything out at all!

Name:	image4 (1).JPG 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	243272

The table that was going to house the Imperial Guard and Orks now serves as the table on which I am resting some boxes, to try and brush off as much crud as possible before chucking things in for transport home. The thing that surprised me the most about this fire was how randomly it impacted areas of my workshop. I had some open trays with the same models in, right next to each other and one twisted into a tiny ball of melted-goop, and the one next to it was perfectly fine. It was like the workshop was a piece of paper and the fire had a pencil, and just scribbled... everywhere the line was, stuff melted. The bits of white space in between, perfectly fine (though everything is covered in horrific ash which makes my lungs seize up after an hour.)

As an example, you can see that those trees and the Space Marine statue look fine. Now let's look at the red thing which was 8 inches across from them

Name:	image5 (1).JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	243273

Definitely impacted...

I am hoping that after cleaning, a lot of my melted cities of death terrain will serve to be re-used in a new city-scape display.

I won't flood the forum, I'll put up more pictures and posts later.

The first 'objective' aside from bringing some of these things home is cleaning them up and trying to actually complete some kits before repairs and starting again in some cases. welcome to Project Phoenix!

Oh frak me, it’s Dannage!!! Do you remember me, dude? I remember your portacabin references from all those moons ago!

I can fully appreciate life getting in the way, I’m glad you are enjoying the new chapter of living alone again.
    So very sorry for all this damage though, especially considering some of the awesome stuff you created. So long as you are still getting something out it, that’s all that really matters in the greater scheme of things

Ragsta

I suppose whilst I'm here, I should post some more pictures from the cabin.

Name:	image1 (11).JPG 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	243295

For anyone wondering how realistic their 'weathering' is, this is how tiled floors look after actual fire. Aside from the scale of the soot, this is 100% accurate.

Name:	image2 (3).JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	243296

Whilst the majority of the Leviathan was in its case (I haven't opened it, no idea how all the POLYSTYRENE inside fared!) and hopefully safe, the tread sections were out, as the last bit of hobbying I'd done before loading the place up with furniture, was checking the footprint of the tank, so I knew how many buildings to destroy in order for it to fit on the table. Obviously these sections have been damaged beyond reasonable repair, but I do still have the 3D model I made of the side sections, so if I were to get a 3D printer, I may well print plastic versions. That would be epic.

Name:	image3 (3).JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	243297

Finally, for anyone wondering if Figures-in-Comfort cases are worth the money, whilst none of my 'beast' cases were on the very front line, there was a lot of smoke damage hitting them. A few of them have kept a lot of dirt (I'm considering putting them in a bath!) and the metal buckles on the straps are badly corroded and these are leaving marks everywhere in the house.

Name:	image4 (2).JPG 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	243298

But I cannot deny that the insides seemed to be okay and both insulation foam and flyers all survived this intact.

Yes, if I recall correctly you scratchbuilt Ork BFG fleets out of sprues, garden tools and shoelaces?

There are about 4 people I think I remember properly and you are one of them ye mad scotsman. How have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by Dannage_Reborn View Post
    Yes, if I recall correctly you scratchbuilt Ork BFG fleets out of sprues, garden tools and shoelaces?

There are about 4 people I think I remember properly and you are one of them ye mad scotsman. How have you been?
    Oh dear, you clearly remember me accurately yep I’m fine, mate, and hope you are too! Sounds like you had a good steal at the local hobby store then! Oh for such good fortune here!

Let’s see - I see the corpses of Epic Space Marine Warlord and Phantom Titans, an old Epic Falcon grav tank and a seriously melted original rhino side...

Hello folks. A brief update: Whilst work (and editing my youtube videos!) has taken up most of my week, there were some important updates. I went off to get my first dose of Covid Vaccine and clearly the stalwart eastern European roots served me well, as I seemed to have just felt 'a bit rubbish' next day whereas several of my friends apparently reacted quite badly. If you're getting one, make sure you take it easy the next day and you drink extra water (I bought two 1l bottles of water to sip the next day)

Anyway, on my way back from the town I got the vaccine in, I happened across a 'geek shop' looking to get some paints to get working on the hobby again. In that shop, not only did I pick up a copy of the core rulebook for an okay price, but they had 5 rather poorly painted Original Rhinos, selling at 6-7 each, half the price I'm seeing on Ebay, though awful paint and awful conversion jobs in places. I had planned on getting an ultrasonic cleaner to strip all my Space Marines anyway, so I figured picking up all 5 for under 40 would do well to bolster any reinforcements to replace some of the losses. I'm primarily concerned about space Marines, as with the Primaris ranges, I can see the old stuff getting harder to find and more expensive. No idea how close I am to completing the Chapter, so much is on sprues and in boxes!

Anyway, that put me in a good mood. Other stuff which occurred mainly last weekend:

Name:	image2 (4).JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	243318

The weather has been extremely mixed and the rains have come and gone, but in a brief moment of being outside, I set up my cleaning station.

Name:	image1 (12).JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	243319
    Of course, it's not just dirt, we're also facing a lot of bent plastics! a lot of the 'intact' terrain that was going to feature, is now going to be wrecked terrain!!

Name:	image3 (4).JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	243320

Some of the more awkward pieces have involved card scenery from 1st Edition Necromunda (If you're about to correct me, the predecessor was 'Confrontation' - Yes, I'm that old!) getting mixed up with I'm pretty sure there's some Sentinal sprues and possibly a Devastator Heavy Weapon Sprue. Card stuff is going to harder to extract from plastics and also to clean, but hopefully, getting the old clippers out will let me free this fella.

Name:	image4 (3).JPG 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	243321

Here's a selection of old stuff. Can you recognise all these pieces? Have a go!
    Last edited by Dannage_Reborn; 09-05-2021 at 20:21.

Clearly you're memorable. That's a good thing...

Name:	image6.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	243328

Yeah, just to give an idea of how squeeeeee'd the Rhino side got, here's a comparison!

So it's been horrific weather recently, and being as I don't have anyone else in the house to shout at me for occupying the bath, it has now become my 'drying location' for internally washed models. I have ordered an ultrasonic cleaner, but that's primarily going to be to try stripping paint, the soot will be a bonus though!.. Look at how black this bucket of hot water, washing up liquid and sugar soap is!

Name:	image5 (2).JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	243329

I then replaced the bucket contents a few days later and still went black with more bits in!

Name:	image7.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	243330

Eurgh... Give the a soak, rattle them around a bit then take an old 2" brush and scrub the black off em. Hard to tell what was just undercoated and what was just dirty...

But here's something..

Name:	20210518_125253.jpg 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	243331

Cleaned up, a dab of paint here and there, a bit of varnish and my Ork Kommand is ready to go.

‘Know, I have to admire your willpower in working through all these repairs. I think if the heart of my hobby took a hit like this I’d be inclined to throw in the towel - all that cleaning!!

You’re certainly well placed to create a table board with a scraplands theme judging by the damaged parts

Great to see working away at getting your hobby going again Damage_Reborn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.