Thread: Red Hands Cadre

Red Hands Cadre

Greetings Warseerites,

To try to help me stay motivated to keep painting I've decided to finally start a WIP project log for my Tau Empire force, the Red Hands Cadre. First, a confession.
    I am a glacially slow painter and modeler.

I put together my first Fire Warriors in 2004 (I think), they were from the 3rd edition Tau box that combined a Devilfish kit with a reduced squad of Fire Warriors (10 I think instead of the standard 12). They got to a state that I was satisfied with and varnish was applied somewhere in... 2010. Although I'm not sure I was satisfied as much as I wanted to move on to other models, so they were varnished so I couldn't go back and mess with them more. Most of my collection is in various stages of basing and highlighting (the vehicles are all just primed), and it's more common that my paint pots will dry out than it is they'll run out (is that even a thing that happens to people?).

With that out of the way, I'll likely try to get a whole collection shot later on, but these are what I'm working on right now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broadsides WIP.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	396.2 KB 
ID:	243326
    WIP Broadsides.
    -On the left is one of my first conversion attempts, simply stacking the two railguns on one shoulder. In my head I was thinking along the lines of the Predator shoulder cannon, I'm not 100% happy with how this looks but it's pinned together and it's not coming unpinned so this is how it's staying.
    -In the center is one I'm more happy with, with the twin railguns moved to a hand-held grip and the SMS system moved to the shoulders. This is probably one of my favorites.
    -On the right is a newer addition that a friend won at a tournament in the before times. He played Tau but already had a full complement of Broadsides, so gave it to me. Assembling and starting to paint this one is what's gotten me interested in picking things back up.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Culven
    That's easy. The answer is +++ message edited by the Ordos of His Holy Inquisition to prevent spread of forbidden knowledge+++. Also, the sound of one hand clapping is +++ message edited by the Ordos of His Holy Inquisition to prevent spread of forbidden knowledge+++ and when a tree falls in the forest it +++ message edited by the Ordos of His Holy Inquisition to prevent spread of forbidden knowledge+++ a sound.

Re: Red Hands Cadre

I didn’t bat an eyelid at the predator shoulder cannon, looks good to me! The trio look very promising, I like the colour scheme.

Thanks Ragsta, I pinned it to the shoulder with a borrowed tiny drill, but in my inexperience (all those long years ago) I used only one pin... so it spins like a **** every time the superglue gives out. Unexpected benefit, it rotates out of the way when I want to paint torso detail, so it's not the worst oversight I've ever made!
    That's easy. The answer is +++ message edited by the Ordos of His Holy Inquisition to prevent spread of forbidden knowledge+++. Also, the sound of one hand clapping is +++ message edited by the Ordos of His Holy Inquisition to prevent spread of forbidden knowledge+++ and when a tree falls in the forest it +++ message edited by the Ordos of His Holy Inquisition to prevent spread of forbidden knowledge+++ a sound.

Asi the Red,

You can use two part 5 minute epoxy to glue that arm in place. Just have some poster tac or other material to hold it in place for 10 minutes.

Hope that helps,

CB
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others
    Interested in buying OOP metal Necromunda figures - Selling Painted Elysian Army, and other bits for 40K and terrain

Thanks Captain! The odd thing is that while the shoulder cannon rotates rather freely, it does not come out. I may just allow it to carry on.

Non-photo update, progress continues on the broadside trio. A trip to the closest GW netted me a replacement pot of Abaddon Black, so all three models received a touch up pass to clean up some of my rather untidy lines. I may do another pass of touch ups, then go on to my first attempt at a shading with Nuln Oil.

Some painting has been accomplished!
    -I've blocked in some orange areas with Jokaero Orange and then a lighter layer of JO + Blazing Orange in the center. These areas I'm going to try to get some sort of glow effect going on, GW painter's advice was to either do a progressive series of highlights to build up a glow, or to base JO and then hit it with Gryph-Hound contrast paint. And since I completely lack the patience to build up a glow with progressive highlighting (and didn't want to spend like, $20 on paints to put the glow on 3 models) I'm opting for the JO + Contrast route. There'll be some of these on the plasma rifles, and the heat sink looking areas on the newer Broadside. I'm undecided on putting it on the older models, I think it might end up on the very back end of the older railguns. It might get put on the metal heat sinks that cover up the jetpacks. Not sure on that part though, those areas are pretty large and I don't know exactly how the contrast will paint look yet.
    -Edge highlights are in place on all the red areas of Evil Suns + Blazing Orange. Next step here will be to edge highlight the grey, likely with Administratum Grey with enough Ceramite White added to make it light enough. After that, one of the older broadsides will... volunteer... to be a test case for a Nuln Oil shade.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20210623_005522.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	388.6 KB 
ID:	243354

I look forward to seeing how your glow effect turns out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Shaping up nicely so far, mate.