Thread: Looking for some help tracking down some bits...

Chaplain

Looking for some help tracking down some bits...

Hey guys, been a while! As the title stated, I've been having a heck of a time tracking down some pieces, and I was hoping someone around here might be able to point me in the right direction, or even have a few spares sitting around I might be able to procure...

So.... Remember the old 2nd Edition (I'm pretty sure it was 2nd) 40k starter box? It came with some essentially mono-pose space marines. There were three pieces to them, the body, the backpack, and the two hands holding the bolter that basically just plugged into the chest with a pair of pegs. I'm trying to track down these hand-and-boltgun pieces, or something that would serve as a suitable stand-in on those old mono-marines.

Now, for the Sob Story- My step-son has recently decided to get into 40k (hence me showing my face around here for the first time in a few years), and I'm trying to track down all my old 40k stuff so I can put together something resembling a force to take on his Necrons. I've found some of my old one-piece pewter world eaters and plague marines, Terminators, and a few other goodies (completely forgot I converted Fabius Bile for Mordheim, but hey, he should still work, right?). At any rate, I found my old starter box marines, and about 7-ish of them have lost their lick-and-stick bolters over the years. If any of you are aware of someone who might have some of these available (I've checked several bitz stores already), know of a more widely available piece that would fit, or personally have some available I could talk you into selling, I would be forever in your debt. I also might be open to the idea of a trade, as I'm sitting on a pretty ridiculous pile of bitz myself (mostly old necromunda stuff, but honestly a little of everything).

And, in closing, let me simply say hello once again to everyone at Warseer, and thank you for taking the time to read an old grognard's desperate pleas. I'm glad this place still/once again exists, and hope at some point I find myself in a position to contribute a little more regularly, and maybe even get my old painting "plog" going again or rebooted.

...And on the off chance Naryzhud, herebedragons, or weavetoucher are still kicking around here- Hi guys! Hope all is well!

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Re: Looking for some help tracking down some bits...

That's going to be quite the challenge, since the hands-and-bolter was only good for those specific mono-pose (man, that term means something different today doesn't it!) models and nothing else.

I would recommend contacting one of the more prevalent 3D print part guys like Pop Goes the Monkey, or seeing if there's "generic sci-fi hands" that have the right shapes to stand in and shove a spare bolter on them, which can be had on eBay for next to nothing.

That said... It's 7 marines. You may spend a bit more replacing these pieces than you would otherwise just buying a few used Space Marines off eBay or FB marketplace.

Chaplain

kind of what I was expecting, but I figured it was worth a shot. I'll probably just end up seeing what I can do as far as scouring my bits pile for said "generic hands" and weigh my options. At any rate, I appreciate you taking the time to give your input, and cluing me in to pop goes the monkey. Never heard of them, and I kind of forgot 3d printing was an option, as it was at best in it's infancy when I was playing regularly before. Unless someone has any stellar ideas out of nowhere, I'm gonna go ahead and consider the matter resolved.

I've used a lot of old school plastic marines in my Blood Angels company, and although I haven't done it with 2nd ed marines, I have used bolters and arms from the current Tactical and Death Company sprues on the push-fit Assault on Black Reach marines. They fit perfectly and are not very different from the 2nd ed. Comparing some of my marines, I think you'd be fine taking a bolter with hand attached (clean cut at the wrist if needs be) and using the cupping hand from the paired arm (again, cut off with a sharp knife) and gluing them on. The bolters are same length but thinner, so might even fit better. Would require a tiny bit of modelling, but not being a 3D printer user, I'd say it would be a lot easier to just use more modern bolter bitz.
    Knights of Baal: A Blood Angel Log
    WHQ: Hall of Heroes & Quarg Hunter
    Blood Bowl Bonanza: A Blood Bowl Collection
    Guild Ball: was one of the best games ever made and they killed it, those bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    Ah, nothing says "Christmas" like a huge stick with a nail in it

Chaplain

That sounds like a pretty good solution, I'll have to look into getting my hands on a few of those bits. Thanks for the help, S_A_T_S!