Thread: Warhammer Ancient Battles for Lod of the Rings Massed Battle Anyone?

Veteran Sergeant

Warhammer Ancient Battles for Lod of the Rings Massed Battle Anyone?

Hi,

Has anyone used Warhammer Ancient Battles with any requisite amendments for fighting Lord of the Rings massed battles?

If so, what changes did you make?

I would try to put something together myself but I'm rubbish at tinkering with rules :'(

Re: Warhammer Ancient Battles for Lod of the Rings Massed Battle Anyone?

The issue I had with WAB was that it had a lot of the same weaknesses of WHFB in terms of mechanics.

If you want a mass combat system that would work for your LotR figures, you could try my game, Conqueror: Fields of Victory. The "Building a Better Warhammer" thread is sticky at the top of this forum.

The main rule book comes with orcs, humans, elves and dwarves but you can also build your own troop types. Obviously, you'd leave out gunpowder weapons but the stat lines would transfer well and when I was doing development, my "test combats" were between elves and goblins. (Using LotR figures, no less!)

What I wanted to achieve was a system where qualitative advantages were more prominent in the combat results.

GW's system didn't really do that with the base stat lines and if you want detail, that thread has the numbers crunching.
    Last edited by Commissar von Toussaint; 17-01-2022 at 16:47.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try the revised and expanded Conqueror: Fields of Victory!
    Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wonder what could have happened if someone competent wrote them? Look no further.
    A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.
    Check out my bestselling book about the Spanish Civil War.

Veteran Sergeant

Re: Warhammer Ancient Battles for Lod of the Rings Massed Battle Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar von Toussaint View Post
    The "Building a Better Warhammer" thread is sticky at the top of this forum.
    Thanks

Ah, I wasn't aware that it existed, I'll take a look when I get the time.