Thread: Lost Egg's 2022 Plog

Lost Egg's 2022 Plog

So it's a new year and once again I find myself drowning under a sea of projects and ideas.

To try and keep myself focused I decided to put everything on hold and try to work out what I wanted to achieve this year in the hobby. For the last two summers I've put on a HeroQuest campaign for the kids with a set I've been slowly cobbling together; last year I even managed to get the board and furniture built up and painted. So, with this years SQ being the culmination of the story, it seems only right that I try and get all the minis ready too.

With that in mind, here's the latest batch of minis painted up, my orc shaman, chieftain and a base of snotlings...

All of these are classic metal minis and were good fun to paint. I used the same colours for these guys as I did the rest of the greenskins I've done so far but I also decided to add purple for the shaman to make him stand out a bit. Here's a shot of all the greenskins, ready to fight some heroes...

That just leaves me the troll to paint...then maybe I'll do a hero or two...

Re: Lost Egg's 2022 Plog

Looking Good Lost Egg. Hero Quest was one of my gateway drugs into this hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffymcfluff View Post
    Warhammer for me is more fun when I can drink, smoke and swear at my dice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Vaughn View Post
    And dont tell me the rules are "Designed" to work better at certain points values, because the rules are many things but Designed aint one of them...
    My miniature blog. http://tinylegions.blogspot.com/
    www.classichammer.com - New Games with Old Rules

Thanks Rogue. I never actually played HQ back in the day though a mate of mine had Advanced HQ...can't imagine we played it very well though

Update time! Behold a dread(ful)ed troll!

Another lovely classic mini. I won this gruesome chap off ebay last year and the daft whatnot who posted it to me just chucked him in a jiffy bag so he arrived doing the limbo and both his ankles snapped when I tried easing him back into place. In the end I had to pin the feet back on and resculpt the ankles but I think he now looks no worse for the ware.

I thought I'd throw in a shot of the big fella next to his nemesis. Hopefully I'll get a game of SoloQuest in on Thursday so we might see these meet up for a fight!

I was going to paint a couple of heroes next but I feel the pull of the dark side once again...

I finally gave up on trying to find someone to make me some custom D8 HQ Combat Dice and made up a batch of my own...

I also made up some new D4 Movement Dice; they have the numbers 1-4 repeated on the faces. The black D4s are for recording monster body points.

I've also been playing with the idea of a new board, one without corridors; the outer ring of squares would be grass to represent outside of the dungeon / temple / cave etc. I'd also like to make the squares bigger again so I came up with this paper mock up using 40mm squares...

My slayer tragically met his end just before the entrance to the Orc Chieftain's Throne Room. Hmm maybe he should have gone exploring with a buddy...but at least he racked up a fairly good tally first...

Fimir!!

Great minis even though something odd happened to their necks fusing their heads to their bodies I really like these minis and much prefer them at this size (the right size).

Next up will be some barbarians...

Painting progress has been slow but I have not been idle, first up the barbarians!

The HQ barbarian's sword had snapped off previously so I had to pin that back on. Painting wise I'm happy with this couple. I'm not convinced with the sculpting of the mouth of the female barbarian but never mind. My kids use these guys for our SummerQuests and so I went with a 40k Salamander transfer for the shield as my daughter is a bit crazy for dragons.

Next up is my progress on my new HQ board, first up the card and paper test piece...

Then here's a WIP shot of the new board, it's a 50x50cm 12mm thick plywood sheet with some stripwood sides and I've started sticking on the magnetic receptive sheet...

Finally the sheet is all on and the grid marked out...

The random black area in the middle is where I ran out of white sheet and had to use black instead, it's slightly thicker but should be ok as its less than 0.5mm difference. You can see it next to my current Compact HQ board which while good can feel a little cramped sometimes in game. The squares for the new board are 40mm and with the new way of orientating the rooms there is so much more space.

So the next job will be to cut & glue all the foam floor & wall tiles...this may take some time...

Progress! Working on the foam floor & wall tiles...

Tiles are done and sand added...

Finally a bit of colour...

The board is coming along quite nicely; the colours are blocked in so now its shading, highlights etc. As you can the plan for the outer ring of tiles is to make them 'outside' the dungeon / temple etc so they'll have a bit of ground cover and static grass around them.

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Old school goodness. I applaud your dedication.

Thanks you sir. I'm hoping to finish painting the board by the end of next week then I can return to my Skaven...plenty more old school goodness to come.

And the new board is done...

I'm pretty pleased with how its turned out and I'm glad I went for simpler tiles than I did with my previous board. I've yet to play a game on it but hopefully soon. In the mean time I've got to finish tweaking my Blank Quest pdf etc to allow for the new board and then it's back to the ratmen!

A bit more progress...behold some vile ratmen!

I thought I'd opt for a grimy, dirty look with these classic plastic minis. Tomorrow night I should be making a start on some fellows to keep them company, though next time it'll be some old school metal...

Great update, and some very old school plastic!

Thanks mousekiller I did try to get some Advanced HQ Skaven, like I played with back in the day but they proved too hard / expensive to get.

Next up is a couple of classic Rat Ogres (Jes Goodwin sculpts I think) and 3 giant rats.

One day I will finish my HeroQuest minis...then I'll likely get some more

Behold yet another update, I really am on a roll this year...

A pair of classic rat ogres and some slightly not-so-classic giant rats. I'm pretty happy with these guys though I may have got a tad carried away with the gore on the fists of one rat ogre. I also managed to make a wee start on the last two skaven for my HeroQuest project (at least for now) 8)

A great project Lost Egg. Love the board and seeing the older figures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Lovely lovely painted minis, and that board looks great! I also appreciate the basing of the minis, great stuff