Thread: Varnishing Disaster! Help Urgently Needed Please? (Pic Heavy)

Veteran Sergeant

Varnishing Disaster! Help Urgently Needed Please? (Pic Heavy)

Warning,- I'm going to name names in this article. I'm at once both distraught and furious! I have never had a varnishing disaster like this before in all my decades of experience.

Help! In order to preserve my dwindling supplies of the superb Winsor and Newton Professional Matt Varnish I ordered some Minibits Deluxe Matt Varnish from Pendraken Miniatures. Five cans in fact. I used this over my normal Humbrol Gloss coat and the results were very satin! A far cry from what I am used to which is a very flat matt I get with the Winsor and Newton Professional Matt Varnish.

I then tried to brush on some matt varnish and it just ran off the model like I was pouring water on!

I had one can of Colourforge Matt Varnish, which I was going to try out on some terrain, and applied it over the Minibits Deluxe Matt Varnish. What you see below is the result! Not only has there been extreme frosting but the varnish has actually cracked on the models!

I am absolutely distraught. As I have said, I have never had such a terrible result with any varnish in all of my painting days which amounts to over two decades- longer if I include my youth!

Normally, if I get a bit of frosting I would re gloss then repeat with the Winsor and Newton Professional Matt Varnish

If anyone has a solution to this please, please contact me and let me know.

Here's the mess:

Veteran Sergeant

Re: Varnishing Disaster! Help Urgently Needed Please? (Pic Heavy)

More horroshow pics:

Please help!

Blimey that suck mate. I've had frosted varnish before but never the cracking.

When I had varnish frost up the only solution I found was to strip and repaint. I hope you find a better solution, good luck.

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Egg View Post
    Blimey that suck mate. I've had frosted varnish before but never the cracking.

When I had varnish frost up the only solution I found was to strip and repaint. I hope you find a better solution, good luck.
    I have, It's called the bin. I'm going to be having some serious words with the exclusive vendor of Deluxe Matt Varnish (in fact satin at best leaning more towards gloss- as I see it he owes me 50 as I did enquire as to the formula and asked if it was a dead flat matt before buying several cans. It's more like paint stripper!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... and then it's just fun!

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by mattjgilbert View Post
    It's not just frosting. The upper layers of varnish have somehow penetrated the paintwork and cracked it all.

I've put the prject to one side. A few weeks work down the drain but I just cannot bear to look at them anymore.

That's a shame. I've no idea why that would happen.
    It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... and then it's just fun!

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by mattjgilbert View Post
    That's a shame. I've no idea why that would happen.
    Me either. I reckon the solvents interacted despite a week between layers and penetrated the paint work.

My vanishing is normally pristine so it's an anomaly that I won't forget in a hurry.

I would have stuck to my tried and tested method, used for over two decades, but the matt wasn't available anywhere for months so I was forced into trying something else which turned out to be very satin, tried another a week later and it ate into the previous layers of varnish and paint.

Very sorry to read this, the work looked lovely. I feel your pain deeply. I've used the Deluxe from Minibits and enjoyed the results myself, but this is something entirely new to me. Really sorry fella