Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Rictus's All Encompassing Terrain Log {CLOSED]

Rictus's All Encompassing Terrain Log {CLOSED]

Hello all.

I have finally decided to get a terrain log going - the objective is to produce all the terrain that may be needed in a game completed. These include:
    City fight buildings,
    River & Canal with a bridge or two,
    Rocky outcrops,
    Wooded areas,
    Marshes,
    Bunkers,
    Defensive walls,
    Gun Turrets,
    Tank Traps,
    Minefields,
    Terrain Objectives...and anything else I think of (any suggestions are welcome).

Some I have done, others are in the works while the rest I haven't even started. Hopefully feeling the need to update this thread will motivate me to keep going. I am incapable of staying to long on any one thing so I will skip from one item to another and back again. But they will be finished, oh yes they will. Probably.

One project I have finished is the Tank Traps so they will be the first to be shown on here:

Bigger version here
    Close up of a couple of them:

Row of three here.

They are individually mounted on 2" diameter bases so they can be placed more easily on the board.

I really should of started this earlier this evening rather than leave it so late, nto a great start to a new thread cutting the first post short. Any questions, comments or suggestions will be very welcome.
    <

Re: Rictus's All Encompassing Terrain Log

Ooooh very nice!

Good start! Glad to see more scenery/terraiin threads!
    A mind without purpose buys stuff it doesn't need.
    My Modular Swamp project log!
    A lonely planet guide to your very own planet? Come join in the fun on my Design a world thread!
    <

Thanks for the welcome Mr. Ewan.

Something of a bit more substance this time.

These were the test buildings for my City Fight ruins. They can be connected together with piping to form an 'Industrial area of unknown designation'. In other words I don't know what they are meant to do, I just made it up as I went along. More buildings and pipes will be added allowing a much bigger array of set ups. Currently only three are (almost) finished, a bit of repair is needed and one or two details need to be put on. The bases are pretty plain as I haven't decided how the city fight buildings will look like yet.

Fan unit:

Individual larger pictures: one two three and four.

Small buliding:

Individual larger pictures: one two three four five and six.

Larger building:
    First picture shows the colour better, the latter ones the red looks lighter than it really is.

Larger version
    Many more detail shots here here here here here here here here and here.

With that many links i've bound to of made at least one mistake.

The main building material is foamboard but an ample amount of card, plasticard, MDF, mesh, cat litter and many bits and bobs I had knocking around were used. Feel free to ask what anything is.

In real life the red does look better, the flash bleached some of the darkness out of it. I have realised I have not taken a picture of the pipes connecting the buildings together but this picture shows an overall shot with the building linked up.

Any questions, comments or suggestions would be welcome.
    <

These buildings are just too cool.

I like the contrasting red. Really "pops".

The fan idea is brilliant. May take that one...
    HQ the Club! Quality gaming since 2002. Check us out if you're in the New York/ New Jersey area.
    <

Those are some very nice looking buildings Rictus. I particularly like the fan unit. The tank traps are looking pretty good too.
    Veteran of the Psychic Wars

What has he got a tea cosy on his head for?

TOHC
    <

Jurassic Park. DUH DUH, DUH DUH! DUDUDUH DU DU DU DUUH!

The fan looks like it's just blended a guardsmen and some gibs got stuck on the grill. Good shizzle.
    <

Those fans are top notch m8!

Do some more!

Would you like to do a tutorial on how to make them?
    A mind without purpose buys stuff it doesn't need.
    My Modular Swamp project log!
    A lonely planet guide to your very own planet? Come join in the fun on my Design a world thread!
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Scout Ewan View Post

Do some more!

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

what is the concrete rubble made of? it looks 'right' slightly sperical bits, really great

SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hideous Loon View Post
    Listen to schoolcormorant, for he is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cortez View Post
    For a brit. you got some bad gramer.
    <

Those are nice. I must say that old computer fans and cooling fins make good terrain. I strip every computer I come across here at the office. Good times, and good work Rictus!
    Misce stultitiam consiliis brevem: dulce est desipere in loco.

Omoora project log

Bring home the Lost. And tell them to bring the Damned with them.
    <

Cool! Another impressive terrain project to inspire us all. I shall watch this with much interest. Keep up your good work, it looks very nice so far!
    Suffolk Wargaming Forum - a forum for wargaming, wargamers, and wargaming clubs in Suffolk.
    The Legion of Taurus: My Chaos Space Marine log over at The Ammobunker - featuring 40k, Forge World, BFG and Epic.
    <

Looking good Rictus!
    How did you do those tanktraps? I've heard about people doing them with some plaster and those trays you use to make ice cubes.

And the ruins look cool too.

-[My Ultraslow Blog]-
    -[^Now with added Orkiness!^]-

-[Dark Angels] - [Deathwing] - [Valkyr 25th] - [Orks] - [Emperor's Children]-

<

Quote Originally Posted by ArtificerArmour View Post
    The fan looks like it's just blended a guardsmen and some gibs got stuck on the grill. Good shizzle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Scout Ewan View Post

Do some more!

Thanks very much. The fan is easy to do, as long as you've got an old PC you can cannibalise. The walls are just foamboard. I figured that the Health and Safety Executive in the Imperium isn't the all pervasive body as it is in the UK so the fan was originally open to the elements, then little Jimmy went looking for his ball...to prevent another accident mesh was riveted in place through welded on steel plates. Only for someone to cut the mesh and try to get in...to meet the same fate as poor little Jimmy.

I can do a sketch breaking down the components if people would like. It'll give me something to do in work tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolcormorant View Post
    pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

what is the concrete rubble made of? it looks 'right' slightly sperical bits, really great

SC
    Cat litter. Really easy to use, just use watered down PVA (white/wood) glue. Just make sure you get to it before the cat does.

Here is a picture of some on another building before any paint has been applied:

Quote Originally Posted by Melchor View Post
    Looking good Rictus!
    How did you do those tanktraps? I've heard about people doing them with some plaster and those trays you use to make ice cubes.

And the ruins look cool too.
    Thanks very much. The tank traps were done in an ice cube tray. I used regular (cheap) pollyfilla (spackle in US?). It is very cheap and very easy to carve damage into them. If they get damaged during a game or in storage the damage can be easily incorporated into the tank trap while if they get lost they are easily replaced. The bases are MDF 'wheels' which are widely available in the UK.
    Here is a pic of the parts 'as new' and a picture of the tray i used:

It took a while to find an ice tray that was really suitable. This is the only one i've found that has square compartments, all the other were too big or the wrong shape (I didn't think fish shaped tank traps would look right).

Thanks everybody for the interest and positive feedback.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Rictus
    Thanks very much. The fan is easy to do, as long as you've got an old PC you can cannibalise. The walls are just foamboard. I figured that the Health and Safety Executive in the Imperium isn't the all pervasive body as it is in the UK so the fan was originally open to the elements, then little Jimmy went looking for his ball...to prevent another accident mesh was riveted in place through welded on steel plates. Only for someone to cut the mesh and try to get in...to meet the same fate as poor little Jimmy.
    ROFL - awesome.

Old PCs (and printers, and scanners, and speakers, and prettymuch anything with a plasic case of some kind) make for great ruins, too! Any project that starts with "Take electronic device X and give a couple good whacks with the claw-end of a hammer" usually pleases me.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Morgrad View Post
    ROFL - awesome.

Old PCs (and printers, and scanners, and speakers, and prettymuch anything with a plasic case of some kind) make for great ruins, too! Any project that starts with "Take electronic device X and give a couple good whacks with the claw-end of a hammer" usually pleases me.
    It's amazing the amount of useful bits you can find when you have a hammer in your hand. And Little Jimmy will always be an inspiration for me.

A few pictures which people may find interesting:
    A WIP shot of the buildings, showing some of the bits and pieces I used:

A quick sketch to show the fan construction.

Run down of parts:
    A - Fan (couldn't be bothered to draw the blades), B - Foamboard, C - Cardboard back panel, D - Area behind the fan whcih was painted black before the cardboard panel was added. E - Mesh facing, using mesh, plasticard plates and pins.

A picture I found on my hard drive which shows two of the buildings linked together with a pipe, it also shows the colour of the buildings better than some of the other pictures.

More to follow shortly.
    <

Now for some more recent work.

First up is a building which, once I get some more tubing, will be added to the buildings above. This one is a large storage container with walkways around it. It was built out of some old CD-R cases, plasticard, some of the IMEX kits, a few tubes and some odds and ends. Trooper Steve for scale.

Larger individual shots one two three four

The storage container is on hold for the moment as I am currently working on some bunkers. I originally started a thread in M, P&T general but rather than update that one I decided to bring them into here.

For the earlier pictures see the original thread http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48828

This is what I am up to with them now with Trooper Steve once more providing scale:

Hopefully the roofs will be finished tonight so that they can be undercoated tomorrow.

Any questions, comments and suggestions?
    <

Ohhh i love the bunkers!
    Very nice stuff you got here man i would love to be able to make such good terrain.
    Those first pics you posted are they supposed to be like dragons teeth? Or just rocks?

-Scorpio
    92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Metal is what we love!
    Please dont click here...I beg you
    "We're concerned about AIDS inside our whitehouse-make no mistake about it"- George W. Bush
    <

I love the fact that the walls of your buildings are differnt colored on the inside and the outside. That makes them so much more believable.

You rock!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/
    <

Your industrial complex thingy looks ace. 100% of FACT. I especially like the red colour, it makes a change from the monotonous grey of lots of (including my) city terrain pieces.

Those pillboxes look awesome too. Although those aerials will be broken off within 3 days tops.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Ohhh i love the bunkers!
    Very nice stuff you got here man i would love to be able to make such good terrain.
    Those first pics you posted are they supposed to be like dragons teeth? Or just rocks?

-Scorpio
    Thanks for the comments. The tank traps are indeed based on the Dragons Teeth design.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
    I love the fact that the walls of your buildings are differnt colored on the inside and the outside. That makes them so much more believable.

You rock!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrlemonjelly View Post
    Your industrial complex thingy looks ace. 100% of FACT. I especially like the red colour, it makes a change from the monotonous grey of lots of (including my) city terrain pieces.

Those pillboxes look awesome too. Although those aerials will be broken off within 3 days tops.
    Thanks for the comments. It just seemed to make more sense to paint the interiors different to the exteriors. The industrial complex will sit alongside my city fight ruins, these will also use a mix of colours. Having a solid grey board didn't really appeal to me as even if the buildings are really good in themselves having them all the same colour would make them just a bit too drab and boring which would be a shame after putting so much time into building them.

The bunkers should be undercoated this evening so painting should start soon. The comms units are removable so hopefully they won't get damaged in storage or in transport and if the do get damaged during a game it will be quite easy to replace the arials. Being just thin plastic rods it'll easy to drill a damage one out and put a new one in. Plus the odd damaged arial wouldn't look out of place on a roof with battle damage.
    <

Cool Re: Rictus's All Encompassing Terrain Log

Amazing work Rictus...Now I gotta find myself an old PC to bust up...

-peace out
    scrubout:skull:
    FIREBASE
    Brian: There's no pleasing some people.
    Ex-Leper: That's just what Jesus said, sir.

The AmmoBunker
    <

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast