Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactica - Ravenwing

Brother Sergeant

Tactica - Ravenwing

I looked for a ravenwing tactica thread,couldent find any so I decided to make one.Ive been playing this army for like almost a year,most challenging and enjoyable army Ive played yet.Anyways Ravenwing,will give you one hell of challenge,you think your army is unforgiving play ravenwing.Do to the fact RW have Limited numbers,all units are expensive,longest range is 36",very vulnerable to firepower,not much in weapon selection thats the downside,long range firepower will hurt them the most,basicly if there is no terrain,RW are dead,hell nids have a better chance of living with no terrain than RW.

The good side of RW.Well of Course RW are fast,have enormous firepower,cheezy on Assualt Cannons,Speeders can take AC+MM,all bikes & speeders have invulable save,re-roll failed dangerous terrian test.

One thing GW needs to really fix is when facing necrons,the only thing that RW have to destroy the monolith with is a powerfist.Come on that is so cheap,all its weapons cant do squat to the thing,but besides that I try to kill of his other units.

I dont think Master of RW on speeder is worth his points,255 points too much for a speeder with armour 10 all around,and with a 4+ invulable.All you gotta do is shoot it with crap load of bolters,one failed save bam its pretty much gone.The only thing that makes his points worth is his powers,making one RW unit reroll miss's,so basicly he hides for the whole game,and not killing with his rw brothers.

I love this army mainly because of the speed,and surprise it has.The basic tactics I list think of that work great with this army.

-Gorilla tactic:Hop to one place to another,exclude half of the enemy fire power,and focus your enormous firepower on a couple units at a time.You gotta take in account the probality of rolling to hit and wound.

-Divide & Conquer:Like any other army,ravenwing have incrediable speed.Use this to your advantage,make yourself unpredictable.Deployment is a great way to throw off your opponent.I use my speed to move my opponent where I want him,then I strike when his army can't support each other in assualt and firepower.

-Sucicide:I hate & love this tactic in a death or glory situation.Avoid this tactic best you can.Usually when this happens,when there is hardly any terrian to exclude the enemy's firepower,no where to hide against like tau for example basicly there is no other option.Who ever get's first turn is basicly dead.Just zoom full speed ahead with the bikes,and kill every threat you possibly can,and just pry that you survive.

-Sacirfice:Basicly baiting your opponent,luring him in,then strike.With my bike army I use my MoRW on bike as bait.I made the model super nice,bad a$$ looking to make the opponent think he's a major threat or something easy to kill.He usually chases after him,the assualt happens,he dies killing a thing or two,and whatever that killed my hq is left in the open,then load massive firepower into the unit.

Just want your view and opion on ravenwing.

Re: Tactica - Ravenwing

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Reaper46 View Post
    I looked for a ravenwing tactica thread,couldent find any so I decided to make one.Ive been playing this army for like almost a year,most challenging and enjoyable army Ive played yet.Anyways Ravenwing,will give you one hell of challenge,you think your army is unforgiving play ravenwing.Do to the fact RW have Limited numbers,all units are expensive,longest range is 36",very vulnerable to firepower,not much in weapon selection thats the downside,long range firepower will hurt them the most,basicly if there is no terrain,RW are dead,hell nids have a better chance of living with no terrain than RW.

The good side of RW.Well of Course RW are fast,have enormous firepower,cheezy on Assualt Cannons,Speeders can take AC+MM,all bikes & speeders have invulable save,re-roll failed dangerous terrian test.

One thing GW needs to really fix is when facing necrons,the only thing that RW have to destroy the monolith with is a powerfist.Come on that is so cheap,all its weapons cant do squat to the thing,but besides that I try to kill of his other units.

I dont think Master of RW on speeder is worth his points,255 points too much for a speeder with armour 10 all around,and with a 4+ invulable.All you gotta do is shoot it with crap load of bolters,one failed save bam its pretty much gone.The only thing that makes his points worth is his powers,making one RW unit reroll miss's,so basicly he hides for the whole game,and not killing with his rw brothers.

I love this army mainly because of the speed,and surprise it has.The basic tactics I list think of that work great with this army.

-Gorilla tactic:Hop to one place to another,exclude half of the enemy fire power,and focus your enormous firepower on a couple units at a time.You gotta take in account the probality of rolling to hit and wound.

-Divide & Conquer:Like any other army,ravenwing have incrediable speed.Use this to your advantage,make yourself unpredictable.Deployment is a great way to throw off your opponent.I use my speed to move my opponent where I want him,then I strike when his army can't support each other in assualt and firepower.

-Sucicide:I hate & love this tactic in a death or glory situation.Avoid this tactic best you can.Usually when this happens,when there is hardly any terrian to exclude the enemy's firepower,no where to hide against like tau for example basicly there is no other option.Who ever get's first turn is basicly dead.Just zoom full speed ahead with the bikes,and kill every threat you possibly can,and just pry that you survive.

-Sacirfice:Basicly baiting your opponent,luring him in,then strike.With my bike army I use my MoRW on bike as bait.I made the model super nice,bad a$$ looking to make the opponent think he's a major threat or something easy to kill.He usually chases after him,the assualt happens,he dies killing a thing or two,and whatever that killed my hq is left in the open,then load massive firepower into the unit.

Just want your view and opion on ravenwing.
    I would love to make a ravenwing army, mainly because i play deathwing and it would be neat to field both DA armies, but unfortunatly i think they are too gimped to be really effective at the moment.
    I'm mean basically they get 6+ invulnerable save, but considering they will be way outnumbered in every match and have a very low number of models, that 6+ save isn't likely gonna do much.

So i'm hoping for them to get upgraded in the new DA codex due out in the spring time.

Chaplain

I played them regulary pre 4th ed. and have played a few games after the new edition came out. they are now retired and due to recieve a major overhaul, but they will be back, as they are ,by far, my favorite army.

this is some random thoughts of mine:

I got to agree, RW are a challenging army, but it is also a powerful army, and you can be most powerful, with tactics, in all phases of the game, movement (duh) shooting (concentrated fire with lots of big and small guns are easy to accomplish with their speed) and assault (a space marine is a space marine, and if you pick your fights well, they last exactly 2 cc rounds, enough so that the enemy cant shoot you, and you have made sure he cant reinforce the CC. Vets and ICs kill a lot.)

if you shoot something with the speeders, you make sure that nothing survives to shoot back, and yes, the master in his speeder are not really worth as much as a land raider, but I used him cowardly, and only drived him out cover late-game. a few times I let himm chop heads of, though.

RW is all about math. more of yours [power] against less of his [power], the better you pull that of, the bigger you win. fail and loose.

dont forget the ubiqious Multimeltas!

I used 5 Attackbikes, al with multimeltas, two single ones, and one trio. a single abike where frequently sacrificed with a push back deployment, though.

tornados are overrated. I use 2 +master. nowadays, they are better, but then, now everybode know that, so it evens out. the gunships go down easily.

regarding movement and cover: either show your enemy no unit, or many units. better to keep one unit hiding in cover or moving into another part of the battle for a turn, than leave it open and vulnerable (ie. dead). losing one turn of shooting are better than losing the whole squad!

the bikes are the grunts of this army. They provide the (expensive) meatshields, they add wounds in close combat, so that the sargeant and IC might live to kill the foe, and they distract the enemys firepower, so that the -often- more important attackbikes and land speeder tornadoes live on.

Commander bobert the great clen one's Avatar

sell this army to me as im a complete noob at 40k
    \m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

Quote Originally Posted by MutantMaggot View Post
    Almighty lord, I have begun the sequel already ...

Chaplain

17-10-2006 02:35
    bobert the great clen one sell this army to me as im a complete noob at 40k
    Uh? nope, if you haven´t played 40k before, this is hardly an army for you. But if you do like challenges, and dont mind not winning for a while, go ahead, collect RW! They look cooler than almost anything, and a low model count means its quite handy. But its still expensive.

I'm sorely tempted by this idea now...
    Someone (who shall remain nameless, henceforth known as "The Devil" ) has sugeested that since mobile armies are so prevalent in the 4th ed. GT scene, I should construct myself a new army in the next five weeks before heat two. I've always liked the Dark Angels, so this could be the start of a HUGE marine project for me.

Anyway, what I was wondering how best to build bike squads. Do you find it better taking large squads that can handle casualties, or a lot of tiny units with a much greater percentage of Power Fists/Special Weapons.

Also, do I need Tornadoes? I hate Landspeeders, they're my absolute least favourite kit to put together I've ever experienced, so any excuse to not handle them would be good.

And no, I'm not expecting to make it to the GT final, but extra armies are always fun to have about the place anyway, especially ones as different as Godzilla Tyranids, Infiltrating Swarms of Marines, and The Ravenwing.
    See that avatar? That's (gonna be) framed on my wall that is. Gotta love getting sketches at Comic Conventions...

Chaplain

Gen_eV: If you head over to bolter&chainsword, the DA forum, you´ll find a lot of info.

The optimal squad size agreed upon by my fellow RW-players there, are 4 per squad. plasmaguns are debated, but meltagun and flamers are highly rated.

Nowadays amost everyone consider "9 Tornadoes roxxors", but I have personally never liked that. Tornadoes packs quite a punch in the firepower department however, and a traditional RW army needs that kind if effective stuff (I used only 2 tornadoes, the master, and an aditional with only MM. Nowadays I would use up to 5 tornadoes, I believe. two singles, and a trio. I like that symmetry)
    fewer Tornadoes gives more room for bikes and therefore, other qualities.

You can make RW quite CC orientated, but I dont know how effective they are, compared to other armies, so I wont speak of matter I dont know.

I am always interested in how soomething RW-specific turns out, so tell me, PM me or email me, but let me know how it turns out.
    Bobert: This applies to you to, mind you

Ravenwing don't tend to do well in cc mostly because you can only have five men per squad. They will win some fights but it's best to soften targets up with twin bolter fire and even then charge units that are less skillful than normal marines in combat.

With this army you have three units: bike, attack bike, Landspeeder.
    Given this, I would say landspeeders are essential. However, if you really don't like em you may want to try a pure bike army.

There are a few other Ravenwing threads on the forum or atleast there were.

Personally, I like my bike squads at five but four minimum. Most of the time it's twin melta though I occasionally take flamers. I occasionally take some plas but I'm not overly fond of it in this army. I tend to take a couple of tornados with a couple of regular speeders. I also use master on speeder. Though there is rumour that soon he'll be on a jetbike.
    Last edited by Gondorian; 18-10-2006 at 22:48.

Chaplain

Thinking about it, I figure you could do a decent CC army of ravenwing. as any other SM, you can have 2 ICs. The Master (give him the SoS and iron halo) and a chappy or lib. and with a few fullsized bike squads with kitted sergeants, you got a good CC force. not really as much punch as another army, but this punch you can get wherever you want, whenevery you want. and you got the firepower to do some damage before the assault, to make the number of enemy models more manageable.

This would be a nice area to explore.

Brother Sergeant

Well,when Ravenwing do well in CC is against like Tau,IG,and eldar gaurdians.In my two army list,I have one army with 20 bikes,4 speeders,9 attack bikes,and the master on bike.The other list consist of 7 speeders,12 bikes,9 attack bikes,and the MoRW on speeder.

I played the cheesy 9 Land speeders,it just wasent balanced.Some games I was dead on like turn 2,I just didnt see the 9 speeder army balanced at all.I hate relying one thing in my army to win me the game.

If your starting a Ravenwing army, there is some things to consider.
    -master a keen sense of measuring(im still working on it)
    measuring the wrong distance will have a major impact on your army against a assualt army.Once a assualt army catches your bikes,most likely that sqaud aint going to live then they will sweep to other units.
    -Make use of bikes
    Bikes can be a great way to decept and lure your opponent,and in the end games can have a damaging result.Mostly because my opponents fear my speeders more than anything,so they focus entirly on my speeders.Plus bikes are more survivable,in open field also so take that in account.
    -Know yourself,and your enemy
    Im still firguring out other armys strengths and weakness's,this will be very helpful to determine whats the biggest threat on the table against rw.Like I said couple miscalculations,your on the path to disaster.

Hi guys, wondering if you could do me a favour?
    I've got a list worked up here which, whilst not a Ravenwing army, is 100% bikers, so I'm hoping that your experience could come in useful with any general tactical advice. I'm pretty confident the list's at a level where a good general can consistently avoid getting shamed by his opponents, just not at the point where I can manage that same feat.

It's probably as good as I can get the list, but there could well be some ideas that have completely passed me by in devising this list. Any help you guys could offer me would be very much appreciated, as I am buying bikers for a properly challenging and gorgeous army.

Oh, and they will be Ravenwing once the new codex is out - DA successors, so I have the freedom of any list, and think this one will give me an easier start. Plus, I don't have the DA codex .
    See that avatar? That's (gonna be) framed on my wall that is. Gotta love getting sketches at Comic Conventions...

Brother Sergeant

Here is my list

Speeder Army

HQ-

Master of RW-255 pts

Troops-

4 Bikes + Attack Bike ,2x Melta guns,Vet sgt(terminators H.,Power F.,Bolt Pistol,frag,combat shield)-272 pts

4 Bikes 2x Melta Guns,Vet sgt(Terminator H.,Power F.,Bolt Pistol,Frag,combat shield)-217

4 Bikes 2x Melta Guns,vet sgt(Termiantor H.,power W.,bP,frag,combat shield)-207 pts

Fast Attack

3x RW LS 1x AC,1x HB each -240 pts

2x RW LS 1x AC,1x HB each-160 pts

2x RW LS 1x AC,1x HB each-160 pts

Heavy Support

3x Attack Bikes

3x Attack Bikes

2x Attack bikes with melti-meltas-140 pts

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bike Army

HQ-

Master of RW-Power W.,Artificer Armour,Combat shiled,bolt pistol,terminator H.-141 pts

Troops-

5 Bikes-1x Flamer,1x Plasma Gun,vet sgt(Termiantor H.,power w.,BP-238 pts

5 Bikes-1x Metla Gun,1x Plasma gun,vet sgt(Termiantor H.,Power F.,BP-247 pts

5 Bikes-2x Metla Guns,vet sgt(Terminator H.,power F.,BP)-251 pts

5 Bikes-2x Melta guns,vet sgt(terminator H.,power f.,bolt pistol)+attack bike-308 pts

Fast Attack

2 RW speeders-160

2 RW speeders-160

1 RW speeder-80

Heavy Support

2x Attack Bike,mm each-140

2x attack bike 110 pts

3x attack bike-165 pts
    Last edited by Grim_Reaper46; 23-10-2006 at 17:27.

Your landspeeders should be more expensive then that. RW speeders are 5 points more, each, because of their special rules.
    Damnation is eternal. All souls cry out for salvation. There is no salvation without suffering.
    -Atr. Asmodai, Interrogator-Chaplain of the Dark Angels

Fortress of the Unforgiven
    Join the ranks of the Unforgiven

Can't he use non-Ravnwing speeders. Or are they not applicable in Ravenwing armies, I've forgotten what the codex says on it.

I'm not sure offhand. I'd have to look it up in the Codex. However it would make sense if Ravenwing armies forced players to use Ravenwing speeders/bikes/etc.

Chaplain

an RW army include are RW units only. period.

Ravenwing speeders are still only 80 points for the ass can heavy bolter version
    I am not smart but I can lift heavy things!
    Life is tough, it's tougher when you are stupid.
    In the grim darkness of the future, there is only war. There are not massive army costume parties and campy parade floats.

I really like my friends RW army
    he is quite good with it and has taken 1st/ best general several times
    I dont remember the exact list but i think it was as many speeders as possible
    alot of ass cannons/ hb
    fewer ass cannons/ mm
    minimal bike squads
    master of RW
    librarian on bike

It was a great army
    it owned everything. sometimes even my necron (but he usually succombed to the massive amount of fire power)
    anyways just thought id share my RW experience

For a little bit over two years, my wife has been playing Ravenwing. (Ever since she saw me playing, wandered across the store to the models and said "the bikes look really cool" and I opened my mouth and said "well....there's an army that you can get that's all bikes." That's when I discovered that point for point, Ravenwing is about the most expensive army to buy in the GW world.) Every so often, she lets me take them out for a spin.

The first thing that she learned (and I realized) is that they're really hard to play. The low model count, the fragility of the land speeder, and their overall incredible speed all make them really hard to use right. The second thing I learned is that you have to make sure that you have the second edition book. All of the points dropped, which makes a huge difference.

Okay, on to the lessons that we've learned playing them.

First, the ability to send attack bikes out in squads of one cannot be underestimated. Putting down single bikes with multimeltas to hunt vehicles and characters makes your opponent choose between many targets, and that is your friend. Having extra scoring units for no increase in cost helps, and getting your opponent to completely deploy before you have to deploy those fragile speeders helps too.

Second, building squads (or squadrons) of 2, 4, or 6 really make a difference. Recently she changed from 3 squadrons of 3 speeders (tornados, of course, she has 9) to 3 squadrons of 2 speeders (at 2000 points). The extra points allowed her to put on an extra bike squadron on the table, which gave her even more flexibility. Putting bikes into squadrons of 4 or 6 does exactly the same thing (there's no sense in using an odd number when you're going to be so outnumbered anyway: if you have 5 and lose 2, you're still scoring while if you lose 3, you're not scoring; if you have 4 and lose 2, you're still scoring while if you lose 3, you're not scoring -- no difference in casualties and it allows you to put more bikes on the table).

Third, I recommend using only meltaguns and flamers in your squads (preferably, one of each). They give you the flexibility you need to deal with anything you run into, horde, vehicle, or MEQ. We tried specializing, but it didn't work nearly as well, because with so few squads on the table, it really doesn't make sense to clump them all together so that they can be mutually supporting.

Fourth, the master on the bike is the only real choice. Unless you put 9 tornadoes on the table, you should never take the master in the speeder. Even though he looks really cool.

The standard list that she's come to use for 2000 points looks something like this:

- Grandmaster on bike: Ravensword, boltpistol, adamantine mantle, terminator honours.
    - 4man bike squad: meltagun, flamer, vet with pf/bp
    - 4man bike squad: meltagun, flamer, vet with pw/bp
    - 4man bike squad: meltagun, flamer, vet with pw/bp
    - 4man bike squad: meltagun, flamer
    - 2x Ravenwing tornado
    - 2x Ravenwing tornado
    - 2x Ravenwing tornado
    - 2x Attack bike: 2x multimelta
    - 1x Attack bike: multimelta
    - 1x Attack bike: multimelta

As far as tactics go, she has two that she tends to use: overload specific units, which she normally does with a refused flank; or turboboost all of the bikes into someone's face, which she normally does against a gunline army (tau, IG).

Chaplain

Tiderian3k: it looks like your wife (and you) have come to roughly the same conclusions as I have with regards to the ravenwing.

The few things I really do different:

1)I specialise my bike squads, it feels better

2)I think Vet serg. should really have a better weapon than a "ordinary" PW. PF or LC, or similar. They are the only ones that can do the CC thing at all (except for the ICs, of course), so they better do it good. just in case its needed.

3) that was it.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast