Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Tomb Kings project

A Tomb Kings project

So far I've collected a good amount of TK's, I've yet to finish the army though, not by a long shot. So I thought it'd be a good idea to start a project log and keep myself motivated.

I'm aiming to give the army a more western europe/celtic theme to it rather than just doing a standard TK army, I'm going to use Ushabti and Scorpions as I love the models a lot so no need to change them.

Without further ado I present the back story of the army...
    1000 years before the birth of the Empire lived the tribe of the Gaestae, they ruled over the lands of the Howling Hills, winning for themselves a stable empire in the heart of the old world. At its heart lay the city of Tiera-Dun and the council of kings.

Refugees from Nehekarra found the kingdom and flocked their for safety, influencing its culture and people for many years before at last a descendant of the ancient kings of Khemri acheived the rank of High King.

His name was Tigernamas, at first his reign was benevolent until jealousy and greed possesed him, invoking the name of the changer of ways he imprisoned a daemon of Tzeentch in a living statue in the heart of a stone circle on the hill of Hybrasil. For ten years he summoned the daemon and tried to get it to fufill an oath, that for 1 year he and his men would serve the daemon, in return "they would become as rich as the kings of legendary Khemri"

On the tenth occasion the daemon gave him his wish and he vanished from the realm of men, the people of the Gaestae could find no trace of him, the statue or his men at the stone circle. Instead only strange runes inscribed on the rocks

Unfortunately for Tigernamas, the daemon kept its promise, after a year fighting and serving the daemon in the realm of chaos he found himself back in the stone circle. Raising his hand he realised just how true to his word the daemon had been, where once had been living flesh now only pale embalmed flesh remained, as his warriors returned one by one he saw them covered in intricate gold bands and fine bronze armour, but fleshless and nothing but skeletons.

Filled with anger and shame he marched upon Tiera Dun and slew every living thing in the city before the few priests of death in the tribe found a way to contain him, deep in the circle where he had made his pledge.

It was not the end though, when Morrslieb is full it is said a dead man roams the hills, screaming his anger at the chaos moon...

Still to do:
    more HW&S skeletons
    Liche Priests (thinking of Jade wizards or possibly necromancers, breaking the seal on the king and keeping him under control)
    More Chariots
    4 Ushabti, 2 need painting 2 need basing
    the royal chariot
    Screaming skull catapult
    3 Scorpions

Re: A Tomb Kings project

and Tigernamas himself... (foot has yet to be fixed)

Tomb Swarms and Burial Markers

Chariots

Archers and spearmen

Heavy Horsemen and unit champion

Tomb Guard/HW&S skeletons

details of champion and standard/musician

I like it. I don't know how people do it, but this has that very "gritty/dirty" paint feel to it. Good job, and I like the bases too.

Not nuts on the guy w/ the flail. Maybe it's just the close up, but he looks too gritty.
    My other car is a Doomwheel

Quote Originally Posted by DDogwood View Post
    I aimed my laser pointer at a Rhino model for an hour and it didn't leave a mark at all. Clearly the rules don't reflect reality.

eh, the cloak really does need redoing at some point. I'm tempted to just use him as a proto-type :/

they look a long time dead and a bit dusty then again they are very old dead walking skellies look great keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevx View Post
    Don't worry, they are Airsoft, the real ones I keep under the bed in case the freaky deaky Dutch people visit (must watch Austin Powers, Gold Member to understand that Bram!)

I love the idea and the story behind this. Couple of small niggles though. Some things, most notably the chariots and the curved design of the weapons, look very 'egyptian', and you have used them unchanged which makes them fit in less with the theme. Also, I really don't like how the general looks: the cloak, head, and the positioning of the arms look really suspect.

Other than that, though, looking good so far!

If you look at the front of the chariots you'll see I've added some runes to them, its enough for me

the weapons I wanted to represent the ancient blades of the tomb guard, so a few of those are relics from Khemri (or I'm lazy, take your pick )

and the general has now been scrapped, tbh I think the main problem was the cloak, so I've gone back to the drawing board and come up with a new version using parts from the Liche Priest on foot and the charioteer sprue

I'm still working on him though, the helmets turned out quite nicely (if slightly Chaosy) and so has the skin on the body, what needs doing now is smoothing the green stuff out so its not as messy, choosing a weapon for him and then painting him up

I like the position of the horseman champion. The army looks very nice. I'll be watching this space closely.

This week I've been working on my Ushabti, finished off 2 of them completely and nearly finishing painting the other 2. The new general is also finished and undercoated waiting for me to get some time on my hands

details

Finally finished the Ushabti on Monday, so heres pictures of those

I'm now working on another HW&S skeleton unit, I'm hoping to use a fair few unit fillers in it to save on armoured skeletons torsos and make something that should give a more coherent theme to the army, its going to be a stone circle with a horde of skeletons emerging from it

Its also going to be magnetised so its not a pain to cart around, something I'm going to be working on throughout the army

Progress so far:

the large base will be at the front of the unit and act as the standard and the connecting stone for the 2 at the back will be removable to help with casualty removal

Good spin on the Kings, and I like the unit filler stones. Good stuff.
    Also, how's the new general coming along? Neat concept, that.

- Salvage
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologist View Post
    ... but screw the rules I think it looks cool.

Cheers

The general is undercoated, but on hold till I've sorted out all the core units and got a workable force

Liche Priests are even further off as I want a good look at the future Wizard sprues before I do him (I have had an idea for mounts for them, but I'll keep that under wraps for now )

Looking good Chiron! I love how you converted that skeletonal horse to rear up like that. Keep it coming!

Lets see a tomb scorpion!
    The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
    - Bertrand Russell

great ideas, and your army is looking good. can't wait to see more
    warning i am dyslexic, read at own risk
    yes i am Zork the Goblin, Gnoblar, Snotling and Spider God

What a way to spice up a fairly standard and boring army (i.e. all skeletons). I love how you have added all that scenery right to the units themselves, so that each unit is going to have its own individual feel. I also like the strings that you added to the chariots, it is those small additions that really make army's indivualistic, and you are doing a great job of it.

The unit is now finally all finished and based, thank god for bank holidays...

the top of the back pillar is removable, and the entire unit will stand comfortably upside down from a the movement tray (thanks to a layer of magnetic strip, I highly recommend it )

I'm starting work on the shields, I'm thinking of using a goblin green background with a shadow gray/dark angels green pattern to it

Ahhhh looks great all painted and ranked up! On the magnets, how do you attach them to the bases? Or even, magnets on bases and metal in tray, or vice versa? I have been curious how this works ...

- Salvage
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologist View Post
    ... but screw the rules I think it looks cool.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast