Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Counts As: Bretonnians

Chapter Master

Counts As: Bretonnians

So, my Local GW store has gotten a frenzy of Blood Bowl going on lately, and I'm thinking I might like to join in. Being that I've got colors and everything set up for a Bretonnian Army I'm doing for WHFB, I'm thinking I may just do them for Blood Bowl as well. I'm not entirely sure which team to use, however.

I'm currently considering Humans, or High Elves. I'm thinking Linemen as peasants, and pretty much everyone else as Squires or Knights. The elves have the same armor as the humans, but their Catcher is S3, as opposed to S2 (that's not a Typo, is it?). And they're more Agile, leading to more 'skilled' players. Kinda knightly.

The Humans do have the advantage of being able to have an Ogre (which doesn't fit thematically, so Imagine an overgrown Bretonnian in full armor, as opposed to Blood Bowl armor), but have the weakling of a catcher. Also, 4 Blitzers, so more opportunities for Knights to lay the smack down.

Anyone have any suggestions as to other teams, ideas, etc?

Re: Counts As: Bretonnians

hey why dont you make or own one up but make sure its within lines

so you could say your knights are somthing like this

knight
    cost ma st ag av skills
    0-6 100k 6 4 3 9 block, break tackle

then all you have to do is play test it and if its to hard put it down abit of if its to many points lower it abit or if its not enogh higher it

peasants
    cost ma st ag av skills
    0-16 40k 6 3 3 7

again play test it

hope this helps

I'm not a fan of any of the proposed Bretonnian team lists so would just suggest you use the human team. Why should Brets be more skilled that professional BB players from all other human realms? Or for a more ironic team you could use a Vampire team .
    My life of crime... She is over!

Commander

Remember Kids, Just Say No To Making Your Own Bretonnian List!

You want to use Brets? thats fine.
    You want to convert your models? Cool
    Just please use the Human Roster and leave designing rosters to the game designers. And above all DON"T make a thread about it on any BB forum.

Besides, the human roster is already very competitive, there is no reason to go changing it just for fluff.

why not make your own teams, if there not over powered i dont see why not. In my gaming club we are making rules for a full beastman list

Chapter Master

See, I'm going to be using it in a league. So it has to be legal. Hence the counts as. I have no intention of making my own rules up, or any of that. And I'll probably end up using the plastic humans from the box set, with a deal of modification.

I was thinking (since they are Bretonnian), that it might be nice to be able to have one or two models actually riding horses... but the only list I can see something like that in is Chaos Dwarves... and I don't really like the idea of guys ending up mutated. And the regular knights would be awful slow.

I guess I'll try a couple games with the High Elves and a Couple with the Humans list, and see how it goes. I guess I'll probably end up with the Humans.

I don't think there's any justification for using the HE list if you aren't using elves. The human team is the perfect fit (Knights = Blitzers, Squires = Rest of positions - peasants wouldn't allowed anywhere near the team) and anyway horses are definately banned from BB . Just don't use an Ogre for theming reasons and you will be fine.

Oh, I don't know. A Bretonnian themed Ogre would be fairly amusing Beret, string of onions, stripey shirt, bicycle..

I like human teams that are themed. I've got a Middenheim team where all the models are the plastic players with the heads removed and replaced with the hairy heads from the Empire Knights box and I've got a "desert dogs" team made from Phil's Phigs arabian themed players where I've used a Reaper Genie as the Ogre and some Eureka belly-dancers as cheerleaders.

Quote Originally Posted by wat_dabney View Post
    Oh, I don't know. A Bretonnian themed Ogre would be fairly amusing Beret, string of onions, stripey shirt, bicycle..
    Oh I agree with that, it's just I'm getting the impression that the OP is looking for a traditional WFB theme rather than the usual comedy BB theming. A French Ogre would indeed be great.

Chapter Master

One alternative might be modelling a human blood bowl team as Bertrand le Brigand and his men, including Guy Le Gross using the Ogre rules.

Quote Originally Posted by samuel View Post
    knight
    cost ma st ag av skills
    0-6 100k 6 4 3 9 block, break tackle
    As said, leave this to the designers.

Chaos Warriors
    0-6 100k 6 4 3 9 <no skills>

And this is why people don't like playing against home-made teams.

By all means, convert your Humans from Bretonnians. They will probably look fantastic, but don't try to make your own 'balanced' rules.

Chapter Master

Okay, so the League Organizer (and Season One commissioner) suggested I check out the Midgard Blood Bowl League extra teams, as he felt the Bretonnian Team they've designed was good enough. (those teams can be found here) I ran it by the new commissioner, and it was approved for use (obviously, without the extra characters). So, I'm good to go for rules... Now I've got the modeling to worry about. I'm in the midsts of converting some donated Human Plastics (many many thanks to my local GW Manager for that) and I thought I'd run some of the preliminary models by you guys here...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobu...sc/linemen.jpg

The two at the top are pretty much done. I've got to do some green stuffing to make more convincing ends to the leather vests (they'll end up with a \/\/\/ pattern along the bottom) along with the possibility of some chainmail showing beneath it. There will be NO codpieces in my army, thankyouverymuch. The bottom guy is early WIP... and I'm not sure if I'm going to go with the plain helmets like his, or if I'm going to keep everything with the brimmed helmets. I like having the face guards on there... which only leaves me with a couple of options, unless I do like the top left guy, and use the lower part of the normal human heads. I could, of course, just use any heads, with or without armor banding. I do have pretty much EVERY current plastic Bretonnian head... so any suggestions would be good.

Also, that only sorts out the Linemen... Using that list, I still have 4 other model types I need to make. I plan on having 2 Blitzers, 2 Runners, and at least one, if not two of the squire types. (Probably 2 Blitzer, 1 Runner to start the season) These guys, I'm not so sure of what to do for them. Again, suggestions would be nice. I'd like to keep these guys feeling like Bretonnians.

I too will be getting a Blood Bowl team together, when I can. I would think the obvious choice for Blitzers (and what I intend to use) would be the knights on foot, that were released for 5th edition? Have a hunt in the archive on the GW site. I was also thinking of the "Little John" model from 5th edition. Failing that, you could also use the grail reliquae pilgrims. I'm still having a think about fan factor models too - Jules le Jongleur, I think!

Nick, is that you?

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Peril View Post
    Nick, is that you?
    Indeed it is, sir. Though, who you might be, I'm unaware.

So, I've done a bit of work. My five starting linemen are all finished, conversion wise. They've just got to be cleaned up, and have a couple tiny details added.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobu...c/linemen2.jpg
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobu...c/linemen3.jpg
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobu...c/linemen4.jpg

The dashing fellow (get it? 'Dashing') is a Runner's Squire. There will be a bit of chainmail hanging out below his tunic there, to give him a little protection (at least equal to the Linemen, who share AV 7 with them). A second Runner's squire will be built from the same base as him, though posed differently. Runners (and blizters squires) will have a similar level of protection, but with greaves, and Blitzers will wear even more armor, probably including full great helms. I don't know quite what I'm going to base them on just yet. I think the 5th ed. Knights on foot will be far too small.

I'm also trying to come up with a team name. I've got a few floating around, and I'm open to more suggestions. So far, I've got these...

Lyonesse Lions (pretty lame, could go with Lancers here as well, but the Heraldry associated with the dukedom is a lion)
    L'Anguille Lancers (Lancers, get it... cause they're Knights)
    Mousillon Maulers (Most everyone I've seen starting a Bretonnian Army for Fantasy wants to do Mousillon, so I'm thinking maybe not)
    Paravon Pegasi (good colors, no white to paint, personal choice for now. Drawback is the logo)

Also, Starting Team Roster...
    Code:
    QTY      TYPE        COST    MA  ST  AG  AV  SKILLS           Norm  Dubl TOTAL
     2 Blitzer         120,000   6   3   3   9   Block, Dauntless  GS    AP  240,000
                                                 Juggernaut
     2 Blitzer Squire   70,000   6   3   3   8   Wrestle           GS    AP  140,000
     2 Runner          100,000   7   3   3   8   Block, Catch      GS    AP  200,000
     1 Runner Squire    60,000   6   3   3   7   Sure Hands        GP    AS   60,000
     5 Linemen          40,000   6   3   3   7   Loner             GA    SP  200,000

3 ReRoll           50,000   -   -   -   -                     --    --  150,000
     1 Fan Factor       10,000   -   -   -   -                     --    --   10,000

GRAND TOTAL                                                            1,000,000
    Last edited by Kotobuki; 08-08-2007 at 07:17.

This is Jason, we talked about your team up at the Rice store. Looks good. The only thing I don't like about the team rules themselves is that the Lineman get access to General and Agility skills, yet cost less then a human Lineman. Very few teams get multiple skill choices on their basic guys. I will see you tonight if you are going to be at the store

Chapter Master

In defense of the Linemen getting access to more than one skill type... They are Loners... I don't know how many Star Player Points they're ever going to earn. They're just support for the pain train that is the knights.

Of course, plenty of the more adept teams get multiple skills for their basic guys, not that I would exactly call my linemen adept. *shrug* I've got some time before they'll actually be able to play in the league, so we'll have some time to see if it's particularly flawed.

I don't think its really bad or anything .. I just don't understand why it is like that. I believe you are correct that the best they can hope for isa n MVP here and there and then a cheap completion to get them a skill.

Chapter Master

So, I've got the first Finished Lineman for the Paravon Pegasi. Color scheme is finalized, logo is designed. Now to just get a couple more sprues of plastic Humans, and I can convert up the rest of the team.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobu...sc/lineman.jpg

Then I've got to throw the logo in with my other decals I'm having printed up for my Bretonnian army, and I should be good to go. Logo is not a priority though.

Very nice model!
    Really looks the part.
    Can't wait to see the whole team painted up, when are we likely to see that?

HG
    Harkon Greywolf
    Too old to be playing with toy soldiers! And yet I still am! Yay!
    CAMFORAI because RAW is Wrong!

"Semper in excretio, solum profundum variat!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast